Looks like Microsoft gonna Sega this shit up

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
As sort of alluded to in my whining about bad games thread (the Senua one, the one that will make you want to kill yourself like she does).

They're going multi-platform wherever they can, more and more. Changing their game division's actual name ("Microsoft!" not "Xbox!")

And probably most importantly, publishing very few games that are all mostly shit and not making any money anywhere.

Sounds familiar.

There's also that $50,000,000,000 hole that MS spent on ActiBlizz that MS thought Gamepass would fill.

Hell, honestly, Sega came out of that time in cool shape, they own a bunch of great devs and they publish some of the best games there are. Their parent company also owns a metric fuckton of Asian gambling machines, can't hurt.

Anyway, lede buried, MS is going to fail as a console maker within one more generation max and it'll suck to not have any competition for Sony, but MS did this to themselves.

I have long held out as a mostly MS stalwart but at this point the XSX is just my media player while PS5 and PC are where I actually pay any attention.

edit... prognostication... there will be a new console competitor against Sony after MS taps out. It'll be one of the Asian companies with more $ than sense, which would probably be, in order, Tencent (heavy favorite if it can get Trump admin approval), Lenovo, or maybe Asus (jesus don't buy it without a warranty).

Last edited:

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I'd love there just being two consoles: Nintendo and whoever else (I honestly don't care who.)

I can't be assed to own every console just to play a few exclusive games, so if the majority of them can be found on a single console then I'm cool with that.

Reactions: jro

Xavier

Slugmariner Captain
20 Year Member
I told you all this was gong to happen.
MS has screwed up so many good developers.
How many triple A titles has MS put out before they started acquiring everybody?

I wish I was filthy rich.
Could have bought a shit ton of IP's for around the same price people here pay for homecarts.
Especially during the recession of '09, stuff was nearly free.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I'd love there just being two consoles: Nintendo and whoever else (I honestly don't care who.)

I can't be assed to own every console just to play a few exclusive games, so if the majority of them can be found on a single console then I'm cool with that.
This isn't good for us though. Nintendo is kind of its own thing. Less competitors means less competitive prices for the consumers.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Could have bought a shit ton of IP's for around the same price people here pay for homecarts.
Especially during the recession of '09, stuff was nearly free.
The problem with this tale is you wouldn't have needed to be filthy rich to carry out the plan it feels like you are alluding to have been smart enough to devise in advance. You would just need to have been smart enough to actually have devised it in advance, and the outcome would be that you would now be filthy rich.

The fact that you aren't now filthy rich tells you everything you need to know.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Especially during the recession of '09, stuff was nearly free
I’d be out on a yacht, cruising the med, eating grapes and getting sucked off by some ig model but you do you.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
This isn't good for us though. Nintendo is kind of its own thing. Less competitors means less competitive prices for the consumers.
I pretty much only buy games after they've been out for years and thus cost $5-20 and I don't play much online for long periods so the online functionality isn't a big deal either. I guess they could hit me with a pricier console, but that isn't a big deal for me either.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
They're rumoured to be buying valve

Lol 360

They don't have the money for that and Gabe has an infamous hate boner for MS. Would be the death of videogames if it did happen though. MS would ruin Steam in record time.

Edit 2: Yeah, a bullshit rumor that's already been shot down.

Last edited:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
They don't have the money for that and Gabe has an infamous hate boner for MS. Would be the death of videogames if it did happen though. MS would ruin Steam in record time.

Edit 2: Yeah, a bullshit rumor that's already been shot down.
They don't have the money for that

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I think we can all agree the executives at Xbox havent had a good idea since GamePass, and they know it. They still haven't recovered from their parity clause decision over a decade ago.

But, I still think the era of the stereotypical home console is ending. M$ makes the bulk of its revenue from Azure. Cloud gaming clearly isn't ready, but something along those lines will eventually disrupt this industry. Pickup and play your games from any device whether it's phone, PC, cloud link, or console. That is the future, and I think M$ is betting on it. Sony is not sleeping on it either.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
The world of kids pairing a PS4 controller with their phone &/or the Amazon Firestick on the living room TV is some Jetsons level steeze. It’s the set-top box vision of Trip Hawkins, fully realized. That little rectangle in your HDMI port does it all-

-movies
-TV
-video games

I don’t see a PS6 ever being released.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Uhm ok mate

360 took a nasty shit on the PS3.

That's just fact.

That was the last time Microsoft did anything I cared about.

Everything is boring.

PC is better but I'm not hooking up a PC to my living room TV.

Let's just play Street Fighter II: The Movie and eat sandwiches and stuff.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
The fuck does this even mean roker
ON

I FORGOT THE WORD ON

FUCK, DIDN'T KNOW YOU WERE ONLINE

PS3 is for lol Metal Gear (really. hard. lol.) and Last of DIck and Untarded.