When was your best year?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
And what made it the best?

I'm going with 1996. I got laid for the first time and I really liked the girl, I found out how to really appreciate intoxication, I was in small enough of a pond to still think I was a big shot.

When I'm trading stories with people a lot of them come from around here - it was such a voyage of discovery, something new almost weekly, and me and all my friends made so many mistakes it felt like I would never stop laughing.

For the love of fuck nobody mention a videogame release.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
And what made it the best?

I'm going with 1996. I got laid for the first time and I really liked the girl, I found out how to really appreciate intoxication, I was in small enough of a pond to still think I was a big shot.

When I'm trading stories with people a lot of them come from around here - it was such a voyage of discovery, something new almost weekly, and me and all my friends made so many mistakes it felt like I would never stop laughing.

Id have to say when Resident Evil 2 was relea... jkjkjkjk

I think I might have to go with 96 as well, or maybe 95. Graduated high school in 95, bought my own car with my own money from my job. I had broken up with a girl I was dating for 2 years (and my first sexual partner) because she cheated on me, and realized I didn't need or want the girl I was wanting to date at the time (and quickly realized I dodged a hot redheaded bullet).

I was the asshole that slept with my best friends girl (and got caught). So that was definitely a low point, but I decided I needed to just be alone for a bit and not date anyone. The same week I decided to give up on dating anyone and just have time to myself - I met my wife. Never had a chance. No ragerts whatsoever tho.

Had a decent paying job for a kid right out of high school, I was impressing my new girlfriend with my guitar skills (shes easily impressed, I suck), I had the freedom to go where I wanted when I wanted. Mid 90s were tight.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
2004. Got to be a DJ at a club, my website got 1 million hits in a month and I got elected as Mr. Sony.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I want to say 89. Great job, first new vehicle (GMC S-15) and single attractive girls everywhere. I was 23, in shape and the world & my future was wide open.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
I'm going with 1996.
1996 was a fun year. I remember building a jumpbox with my friends while listening to Bryan Adams' soundcheck in preparation for one of the biggest concerts my hometown has ever seen. They were playing the "Summer of '69" in the summer of '96. That was the day before my parents and I went on vacation to Norway. Also the year I really fell in love for the first time.

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
Objectively my life is probably better than it ever has been right now. But being an adult with adult responsibilities limits the fun a bit. Things were more fun when I had more time to concentrate on myself and personal pleasures. In that regard, early 00s was good. Had my first car, living on my own at college, hanging out with friends like every day and evening, feeling very succesful by excelling at school without having to try that hard, immersing myself in music recording and production and making tons of my own music, was still somewhat interested in or excited by stuff happening in music/movies/video games/pop culture, and being totally aware of the fact that I was still young and had a lot of important and interesting stuff before me that I could think about abstractly instead of having to make a quick decision (what kind of career will I have? what will my future house look like?), and all my older extended family were still relatively young (50s and 70s then, 70s and 90s/dead now) so I didn't have to think about mortality that much. To narrow it down to a year, probably 2005 was a high point for that mindset and lifestyle. There was an innocence to that time in my life which has long since been lost. It was also before adult life and observing how the world works made me highly cynical, so that made it a much more enjoyable time, too.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Your release wasn’t much better.
Sorry, I didn't even remember making this thread until someone commented on it in the day time. I passed out drunk after eating at a place called OK Diner that somehow managed to oversell itself.

Burger patty, one slice of bacon, 2 dog shit quality sausages, a fried egg and 1 onion ring with a few fries isn't a mixed grill, it's barely even a breakfast.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
1998. Had an awesome year at high school as a junior. Lots of friends, high grades. Got my shiny new Gateway with P2 400 CPU and a Voodoo Banshee. First time getting home internet access. Overall late 90s great vibes.

Runner ups were 2005 when I made another group of friends at work that I'm still friends with to this day, and 2014 when I met my now wife.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I passed out drunk after eating at a place called OK Diner that somehow managed to oversell itself.
Isn't that in Cannock? :unsure:

Anyway... probably 1984 - I remember it being a fantastic summer, Transformers were coming out, and it was the year Ghostbusters and Miami Vice were released :D

Ahhhh... simpler times.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Sorry, I didn't even remember making this thread until someone commented on it in the day time. I passed out drunk after eating at a place called OK Diner that somehow managed to oversell itself.

Burger patty, one slice of bacon, 2 dog shit quality sausages, a fried egg and 1 onion ring with a few fries isn't a mixed grill, it's barely even a breakfast.

I’ll give you this: the subjects of his majesty the defender of the faith sure know how to make and eat a proper breakfast.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
1979. It all went downhill from there.

:oops:

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Isn't that in Cannock? :unsure:

Apparently there’s 9 of them. I’ve definitely passed a couple but never gone in. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OK_Diner

I don’t really want to pick one best year, but greatest hits would probably be:

2006 - got laid, passed driving test, moved out from parents. Alot of 1sts that year.

2017 - got married and started earning enough money to ‘enjoy life’

Also, 2023 has been a good year for travelling, Vietnam new year and Japan in May.

I hope the best is still ahead of me tbh.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member

That’s a good idea for a different thread though. Best year for game releases…

… and it’s probably 1998 - Half Life, Zelda OOT, KOF 98, Last Blade 2, Dreamcast release in Japan.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
2002 for me.

I was making good money and blowing the lot every weekend, no responsibilities. Went backpacking through Europe and a bit of North America. Came back flat broke late that year and then got into the grind of life…

Anyone who doesn’t say their late teens/early 20’s was the best years of their life then what in the actual fuck were you doing? Holed up playing teh Mario Game cubez or some shit?

Last edited: