I have a sprawling retro collection and that includes a neo and 5 games

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
You do realize I was joking right?

I read years ago it was because TV manufacturers in the US couldn't agree on a standard connector type for consumer TVs. Honestly I don't know why they didn't just use the same RGB connection that the Japanese used. A lot of the TVs in the US from the late 90s and early 00s actually have RGB capabilities and can be easily modded. I just use component for the couple of retro consoles I have left, I can't be bothered to use a bunch of converters and a mess of specialized cables to get a slightly better picture.
I did think for a brief second... my bad. Sometimes you're too deadpan for your own good!

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Composite with 6 switch boxes daisy chained together. What is Scart, is that like S-video?
Gotta draw that layout diagram with sixteen gold plated 200 dollar RGB scart blocks

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I used to post my diagram to take the piss

Neogeo -> TV

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Until HDMI rocked up it was (probably) the best AV connection to use to get the best picture out of any videogame console (that supported RGB scart) or AV device (VCR / DVD / LD).

For some odd reason Scart was never really supported in NA... don't know why.
That'd dumb, I'm going to play everything on composite as the designers intended it. LOOK AT THE WATERFALLS ON SONIC! ARGGHHHHHHHH

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
SCART is simply a connector format. It doesn’t define the actual signal. The (shitty) connector can carry composite, s-video, RGB, component, audio, a switch signal, etc often several at the same time.

It will almost never carry RGB from a VCR/LD/DVD player because VCRs and LD were native composite and the number of players ever produced that could transcode to RGB could be counted on one hand. Fully legal consumer DVD players rarely if ever output RGB because it doesn’t support Macrovision which was a required part of the spec.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I know a guy with a complete US PS2 collection. Now obviously that’s a much better ratio than Wii but still he had to track down literally HUNDREDS of shitty licensed movie games, toy based games, annual sports titles, Aklaim’s ripoffs of better popular games, etc. He has shelves and shelves full of utter crap. It was relatively cheap but it’s huge and mediocre as hell on average.

Completing any system is pretty stupid except maybe SNK stuff since the libraries are small and the quality ratio extremely high.
“I know a guy” ;)

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
If I were to offer free old games on Facebook marketplace or similar, or if I printed paper flyers and stapled them to telephone poles, I'd be deluged with requests by adults whose only desire is to scoop them up and reap a profit by selling them to collectors for a jacked up price. I've offered a few free things before and that has been my experience in my neck of the woods.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
If I were to offer free old games on Facebook marketplace or similar, or if I printed paper flyers and stapled them to telephone poles, I'd be deluged with requests by adults whose only desire is to scoop them up and reap a profit by selling them to collectors for a jacked up price. I've offered a few free things before and that has been my experience in my neck of the woods.
Fagits will be fagits

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Nobody fucked the Xbox.

It looks like a can of Monster Energy and a car stereo amp had a baby. It's unfuckable.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Stevo's xxxbox bangin' world tour! I might just get one so I can watch.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Sold almost all my old stuff (but not the Neo) because of the OG Xbox. It was the first half decent emulation PC in the living room. 120GB hard disc was insane back then. Running XBMC renamed to Kodi on my 4K Fire TV is pretty funny.