Your Neo Geo home-brew dream game, what would it be?

G

greeneye8181

So many great ideas... the Magician Lord 2 with a snap case!? Sweet.
How about Last Blade Special? Keep the engine and characters the same from LB2 just add Musashi and Kouryu as playable characters and 2 new characters.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Figured I would expand on my RPG fighter a bit, as far as abilities go this is what I am thinking: When you start the game you choose a starting ability.
:A: is Light attack, :B: is Strong attack, and :C: is the chosen ability.
:C: can reassigned to any other unlocked ability later, and after a few fights :D: is unlocked too.

As you level up you can also assign abilities to A+B, B+C, and C+D, for a total of five equipped abilities at a time, and each ability can level up to unlock additional "command abilities" (Think command normals).

General Abilities:
These abilities can be used by any character.
Spoiler:
Fierce Attack:
a third, stronger normal attack, different characters can unlock fierce command normals, and eventually "Fierce Specials" which function a lot like EX moves in the later SF games.

Kick:
an additional attack for controlling your opponents position on the board, functions much like last blade with a forward pushback kick and a sweep. Some characters can unlock kick specials.

Dodge:
Step into the background for a moment to dodge attacks and projectiles. Can unlock a forward "Shift" movement that functions much like the projectile avoiding shift in Kizuna Encounter, as well as an air dodge.

Deflect:
Perfect timing allows you to deflect an opponents attack leaving them open. Can unlock a QCF Disarm command with extremely tight timing, and an air deflect.

Dash:
A quick dash movement option. Can unlock an air dash, as well as a "Wave Dash" type movement once the dash is sufficiently leveled up.

Overhead:
A universal overhead to compliment or expand a characters arsenal, can also unlock a universal anti-air.

Launcher:
A universal launcher, also adds additional air attacks and can unlock a air pursuit for follow up air combos.

Throw:
Provides a simpler way to execute your characters basic throw (Close Forward+B will execute a basic throw regardless of abilities) as well as unlocking command throws based on character.

Character Abilities:
These abilities can only be used by specific characters. Note: These are just a few ideas.
Spoiler:
Shield
The character puts up a guard, while the guard is up the character takes reduced damage and moves at a reduced speed, but has full armor and cannot be stunned. All damage taken while guarding recovers over time.

Deep Breath
This character can charge up for a short period of time, imbuing his next special attack with much the same properties as an EX special from the SF series, but without using any meter. This charge can cancel off of any normal attack, also providing some excellent advanced combo options.

Each character can also eventually equip one defense trait and two movement traits. Defense traits are: Parry - with an unlockable Red Parry, Just Defense - with an unlockable "Alpha Counter", and Air Guard - with an unlockable push block. Movement traits include Short Hop, Super Jump, Double Jump, and Wall Jump (There may also be some character specific movement traits such as Wall Cling).

There are also "Burst" abilities that can be equipped to A+B+C and B+C+D that are largely class specific and permanently consume your super gauge, much like Samurai Showdown.

TL;DR: I am mildly obsessive and have thought about this WAY too much.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Figured I would expand on my RPG fighter a bit, as far as abilities go this is what I am thinking: When you start the game you choose a starting ability.
:A: is Light attack, :B: is Strong attack, and :C: is the chosen ability.
:C: can reassigned to any other unlocked ability later, and after a few fights :D: is unlocked too.

As you level up you can also assign abilities to A+B, B+C, and C+D, for a total of five equipped abilities at a time, and each ability can level up to unlock additional "command abilities" (Think command normals).

General Abilities:
These abilities can be used by any character.
Spoiler:
Fierce Attack:
a third, stronger normal attack, different characters can unlock fierce command normals, and eventually "Fierce Specials" which function a lot like EX moves in the later SF games.

Kick:
an additional attack for controlling your opponents position on the board, functions much like last blade with a forward pushback kick and a sweep. Some characters can unlock kick specials.

Dodge:
Step into the background for a moment to dodge attacks and projectiles. Can unlock a forward "Shift" movement that functions much like the projectile avoiding shift in Kizuna Encounter, as well as an air dodge.

Deflect:
Perfect timing allows you to deflect an opponents attack leaving them open. Can unlock a QCF Disarm command with extremely tight timing, and an air deflect.

Dash:
A quick dash movement option. Can unlock an air dash, as well as a "Wave Dash" type movement once the dash is sufficiently leveled up.

Overhead:
A universal overhead to compliment or expand a characters arsenal, can also unlock a universal anti-air.

Launcher:
A universal launcher, also adds additional air attacks and can unlock a air pursuit for follow up air combos.

Throw:
Provides a simpler way to execute your characters basic throw (Close Forward+B will execute a basic throw regardless of abilities) as well as unlocking command throws based on character.

Character Abilities:
These abilities can only be used by specific characters. Note: These are just a few ideas.
Spoiler:
Shield
The character puts up a guard, while the guard is up the character takes reduced damage and moves at a reduced speed, but has full armor and cannot be stunned. All damage taken while guarding recovers over time.

Deep Breath
This character can charge up for a short period of time, imbuing his next special attack with much the same properties as an EX special from the SF series, but without using any meter. This charge can cancel off of any normal attack, also providing some excellent advanced combo options.

Each character can also eventually equip one defense trait and two movement traits. Defense traits are: Parry - with an unlockable Red Parry, Just Defense - with an unlockable "Alpha Counter", and Air Guard - with an unlockable push block. Movement traits include Short Hop, Super Jump, Double Jump, and Wall Jump (There may also be some character specific movement traits such as Wall Cling).

There are also "Burst" abilities that can be equipped to A+B+C and B+C+D that are largely class specific and permanently consume your super gauge, much like Samurai Showdown.

TL;DR: I am mildly obsessive and have thought about this WAY too much.

Jonny, please, sit down mate.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
I dream on many games:

- Powerdrift/OutRun kind, taking the scaling capabilities of the neo to the max. Obviously it would include the Nightmare Tony's racing wheel project completely finished. It would honour NT's work.

- Gauntlet style, with steroids and level bosses please

- A fun beat'em up like Metamorphic Force (or Cadillacs), boosted with many graphical effects and many different paths and endings.

All of them with Capcom graphical quality.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Rape beat em up? pls.

I would actually love to have that hack on a cart.

BxJCWFl.gif

Crush Roller

Rugal's Thug
Surely the Neo can do a Dungeon Master type first person dungeon crawler?,except it could scale the scenery as opposed to jumping sort of 10ft each motion.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Windjammers 2 - or what Jonmkl suggested in his first post - I tried that game, it's interesting.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
My dream game would be a Remake of SOR2 on the NEO-GEO.

DeusVult

Another Striker
something like alien breed tower assault but jazzed up for the neo would be good, love those type of games

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Wow, that timer goes by fast. When I play Windjammers I almost always use the softdips to set the timer to maximum.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I would make a Neo version of Wonderboy with Slug 3-quality graphics, proper endbosses (better than the wimpy bosses of the original) and branching pathes.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I think it would be pretty neat to have a MVS version of Card Fighters Clash. Everyone could save their deck on a memory card and battle on a arcade machine.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I think it would be pretty neat to have a MVS version of Card Fighters Clash. Everyone could save their deck on a memory card and battle on a arcade machine.
nah. Why would you need more power than the NGPC can supply? Makes no sense. Don't get me wrong, CFC is awesome, but you just don't need more grafical beef for it, it's perfect as it is. Also wouldn't work as an arcade game.

A fighter with a link to the pocket version might be fun though... and could work on the dreamcast.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Dying for a sequel for the Neo, especially since it was a classic SNK pre-Neo game:

Note: contrary to popular belief, the final boss can't be beaten that easily and yes, I've legitimately 1cc'ed the game and still have the original game pcb ;)

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Link to the Past style game, preferably with a co-op option.

Also, a sequel to NGPC Neo Geo Cup 98' but with MVS graphics, additional ways to customize your team, all rpg elements of the pocket version, create custom players, save teams to memory card.