Your Neo Geo home-brew dream game, what would it be?

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
If you had the time, money, and manpower to make any game for the Neo Geo a reality, what kind of game would you make?

What genre would it be? What mechanics would it have? What sort of art style would it use? What would make it stand out in the Neo Geo library?

Begin brewing.

The Future is Now!

------------------------------------

Firstly, anything I would create for the Neo would have to be rooted in the context of Arcades, even though they're not around anymore and seem silly to cater to, that is the context I will always see the Neo in, and the context I most enjoy. That's not a requirement for anyone else, that's just a preface for my idea. So here goes..

red-s4.png

Warzard was a failed but very interesting concept from capcom that resulted in a flawed but very interesting game. A game that is a sort of single player action RPG when you are alone, and becomes a competitive fighting game when played together. It's VERY interesting from an arcade perspective, you go and level up your character, unlock secret items and new special moves, and then when your friend gets there he punches in his crazy long password and you get to go at it with the two characters that you've been leveling up.

But it's even better for the Neo Geo for two reasons, The AES and Memory Cards.

My dream game would by something like this but with crucial mechanical changes in the form of customization, you would unlock both special moves, and mechanics from other fighting games in the form of abilities. These abilities would then have to be slotted, so you couldn't use them all at once, but would instead have to choose ones that worked well together and build a unique fighting style with them.

For instance, once unlocked you could slot defensive abilities that would either give you a SF3 Parry, a MOTW Just Defend, or perhaps even a Last Blade style deflect. Everything from rolls, to super jumps, to assists could be unlocked and used to customize your character, even wether or not you could block in the air could be determined by your unlocked abilities. In addition the fighters would be weapon based so things like range and block stun could change with equipped weapons. Some weapons may have block crush, while some just do more chip damage, while some have excellent damage but do no chip at all. You could even unlock different types of power meters for your character to suit your tastes.

Think of it like CVS2s groove system but fully customizable and unlocked over time as your character levels up.

cvs2groove.jpg

And with the special moves being customizable, things get even more interesting, think about a character like terry who has so many move sets in so many games and all of them are slightly different, do you want your terry to have rising tackle? How far across the screen does your burning knuckle go? Is buster wolf your super or something else? In this game you'd be able to shape your character to your tastes, focus on zoning, focus on rushdown, attack, defense, whatever, and all of it would be stored on your trusty memory card so you could take your creation and wreck someone else's day with it.

And of course there could be a silly long password system as a backup, just for cabs and cmvs' with no memory card slots.

As far as button layout, even that could be customizable, it could even start as a 3 button fighter with Light Slash, Heavy Slash, Kick, with the last button being unlocked based on separate abilities. Using a Just Defend? It could be a heavy kick. Saving your defensive slot for air blocks? It could be a deflect, or a RBFF lane dodge, Feeling truly hype? CCCCOMBO BREAKER!

------------------------------------

Either that or I would make something like the very first Legend of Zelda, a open world action game full of so many secrets that it would take ages to figure out, and at first you'd just wander, like so many kids who didn't even know there were dungeons in LoZ, but once you truly mastered it you could acquire the masterful sword, complete the game, and destroy the evil dark lord fairly quickly with only a single credit, perfect for arcades.

Last edited:

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Erm...

I was going to attempt to describe something that would have seemed really awesome, but after reading your overview of that fighter...jesus man. I want *that*. Exactly that. Right now :D

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
A Mag Lord 2 that was as deep as symphony of the night. Upgradeable spells, weapons, abilities, armor, and an intertwining world area like super metroid chaulk full of bosses (and minibosses for that matter)

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
I'd want a proper massive RPG. Your standard Final Fantasy/Chrono Trigger/Secret of Mana type thing. Being on the Neo, I want it to be an Epic. Stupidly long storyline, tons and tons of quests, outstanding music and beautiful graphics. I want to pop that fucker in, and only be halfway through like a month later.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
A Mag Lord 2 that was as deep as symphony of the night. Upgradeable spells, weapons, abilities, armor, and an intertwining world area like super metroid chaulk full of bosses (and minibosses for that matter)

I was going to say a Neo Castlevania. This idea is awesome as well.

Personally, I'd love to see an awesome JRPG on it. There's no telling what 16 bit Square, Enix, or Falcom would have done with that hardware.

*edit* Ninja'd!

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I would like to make a beat 'em up game where you play as an infected school kid who enters an all girls school, and has to rape all the girls while they fight you, and as you level up you can evolve into different monsters, like a tentacle beast, or werewolf, or vampire, or demon.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I would like to make a beat 'em up game where you play as an infected school kid who enters an all girls school, and has to rape all the girls while they fight you, and as you level up you can evolve into different monsters, like a tentacle beast, or werewolf, or vampire, or demon.

This has potential, assuming he can upgrade his outfits and one of those involves knee high socks.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
I'd LOVE to see a sequel to Crystalis on a Neo system! I put a lot of time into that on my NES. I think it'd be especially nice on the NGCD, the soundtrack would be amazing.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Erm...

I was going to attempt to describe something that would have seemed really awesome, but after reading your overview of that fighter...jesus man. I want *that*. Exactly that. Right now :D

Haha Thanks! :-P

YES PLEASE. Any game with atmosphere the quality of super metroid makes the world a better place.

And you guys who want like a square or enix style RPG, what sort of battle system would you think? Something like FFVI or something more location based like Chrono Trigger? It's hard to make something like that "arcadey" but with some active battle stuff liked the timed button presses in FFVIII it could be pretty engrossing.

Either way whatever game it is, it should be crazy hard!

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Haha Thanks! :-P

YES PLEASE. Any game with atmosphere the quality of super metroid makes the world a better place.

And you guys who want like a square or enix style RPG, what sort of battle system would you think? Something like FFVI or something more location based like Chrono Trigger? It's hard to make something like that "arcadey" but with some active battle stuff liked the timed button presses in FFVIII it could be pretty engrossing.

Either way whatever game it is, it should be crazy hard!

I think if it were like SSRPG where you HAD to input the moves during battle that could be really interesting and fun.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
I think if it were like SSRPG where you HAD to input the moves during battle that could be really interesting and fun.

Word, I'd love to see something that had more depth - really that's what the CD should have solved, they should have developed a couple real (non-arcade) fucking games for that thing - one half-assed attempt exclusively in Japanese doesn't count. I've heard mention of Crystalis before, and agree that would be the tits.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Just a quick question, who actually IS capable of coding on the Neo Geo nowadays? I know we've got Neobitz, NGDEV, and those frenchman, is there anyone else out there? Are there tools and stuff available publicly at all?

Also, NGDEV is making that Ikari Warriors game next, anyone know if Neobitz has anything planned?

I wouldn't mind knowing what their dream games are, since those could very likely become a reality some day.

Last edited:

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
An RPG would be cool but I fear the Indie Developers simply lack the manpower to develop such a game in a timely manner. Just look how long Pier Solar took....

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
If you had the time, money, and manpower to make any game for the Neo Geo a reality, what kind of game would you make?

An RPG would be cool but I fear the Indie Developers simply lack the manpower to develop such a game in a timely manner. Just look how long Pier Solar took....

That's why this is a thread of dream games TikTok, drop the sandbags of reality and let your imagination soar!

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I'm gonna concur with those saying an unofficial Magician Lord 2. Still with an arcade game accessibility and vibe but a little deeper gameplay and mechanics rather than your typical quarter munching difficulty. (but don't get me wrong I do love that)

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
I would port the x68000 version of snatcher over, that or a megacart containing all the metal slugs in order so I wouldnt have to switch carts when I beat one!

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
A Ninja Warriors for the NeoGeo - akin but superior to the SNES sequel (NWAgain).

Failing that, a sequel to Rad Racer series on NES: Rad Racer Neo.

If all else fail, I fully endorse the upcoming Magician Lord 2 ;)

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Something along the lines of Link to the Past. I feel with the Neo's power, a great adventure game would look absolutely stunning and would have a ton of depth

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
This has potential, assuming he can upgrade his outfits and one of those involves knee high socks.

Look man, I think that's a great idea. If I implement it, consider that your credit. I don't know your real name.