Thompson (Tommy Gun), VIDEO Added!

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Mercenary X99 said:
...The only thing changed on the G.I. Version is the charging bolt that's on the side, whereas teh Gansta' ones were on the top, and in combat situations often would not work, get jammed etc...

Also HellioN's arsenal looks sweet. He's got a lot more than I do these days as I've cut back quite a bit. Currently I'm looking into the awesome Cx4 Storm as a follow up SMG in my collection. It's the only futuristic desgin that I actually like, as I cannot stand stuff like the XM-8, which I'm sure is a bad ass mofo, but the design leave a lot to be desired.

MERCENARY X99

A lot of those early Tommy's ended up either with the Marines/Navy or were made part of the lend lease program.
The only outher differences in the latter GI tommys (becides the deleition of the blish block in favour of A 1 pice bolt) were the horizontal hand grip, removal of the barrel ribs, & the "L" shaped rear site (the origonal was A sliding type.)
Also the later thompsons had A slightly different mag well & could not accept the drums, Witch is fine as they don't work very well in combat enviroments.

I have A lot more guns than that, Just no digital camera.
I simply put the hand guns on my scanner & oviously A friend was taking pics.
I have this sweet Hungarian AMD-65 (AK clone) that I would love to post & A bunch of outher shit that won't fit on the scanner :)
The CX-4 is nice (expecially if you allready have A M9) but I still prefer the UZI to just about anything...The P-90 does rock tho.
The (X)M-8 is A massive mistake IMO, IT does not do 1 thing that the M-16 can not allready do.
Waist of out tax $$$.

ferrarimanf355, The car was quite empty, I'm not A total retard. :p
I'm actually shooting at A washing machine that got cropped out of the pic.

neo-geo 2
Next video I want to see you bump fire that thing :mr_t:

Last edited:

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member
Thats pretty cool and all....but a snake-shaped gun that folds up in an attache' case would be better :mr_t:

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
HellioN said:
A lot of those early Tommy's ended up either with the Marines/Navy or were made part of the lend lease program.

Also the later thompsons had A slightly different mag well & could not accept the drums, Witch is fine as they don't work very well in combat enviroments.

The (X)M-8 is A massive mistake IMO, IT does not do 1 thing that the M-16 can not allready do. Waist of out tax $$$.

#1> DOH!, don't know how I made that mistake, yes it was the Marines who used it, not the Army. All my Jar Head droogs would kick my ass for that one, freckin' grunts. Anyhow...

#2> Yep, the drum clips suck in harsh conditions.

#3> I concur. The XM8 supposedly is going to "Revolutionize" and take over the M-16's position, and while I'm not the biggest Eugene Stoner fan, {I prefer Kalishnikovs personally} I think the XM8 not only looks stupid, it's just a big waste of time. Then again I never saw the need to stop using the M-1 Garand myself, as all the DOD would have had to do for added firepower was to utilize Beretta's BM-59 design and keep things chambered at 30-06. *But the military was interested in space aged light weight shit, for me owning a BM-59 {which no doubt ushered in the later M-14} is the pinnacle of the Garands... problem is is that my Springfeild M1-A1 was $1,800 and the Beretta BM-59s' are a bit more than that.

MERCENARY X99

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
The M96 honestly owns the AR series hands down, and it should've been in service since its conception. I prefer AKs myself too, this is just obviously the superior firearm. What was the reason the AR was picked over this?

m96size.jpg

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Shirt in a Can said:
What was the reason the AR was picked over this?

m96size.jpg

*You've managed to show me a firearm I've never seen, much less heard of. That looks nice. But when did the M96 debut? The M-14 was already in the hands of soldiers right after the Korean War {still not over} but the military wanted something lighter and a calibre that didn't have as much recoil {this was the early 60's} and Eugene Stoner had his AR-15s ready to go... was that M96 even around during the weeding out process of the M-14 in favor of the M-16 and it's many variants? That might have something to do with why it wasn't picked. Not 100% on that, but I'm speculating. Unfortunately many soliders died while feilding the M-16 models in NAM which led to the M-16A1 variant {slightly improved} and CAR-15s {todays M-4 Carbine} and with the AR series being so modular, they just kept adding onto the 5.56mm {.203} M-16s up to and including the M-16A4s currently in use in Iraq. I know that during the testing phases for the A2 models the U.S. DOD almost went with FN-FAL, but in the end they stuck to Stoner's design.

I do like the looks of that M96 though.

MERCENARY X99

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
Mercenary X99 said:
*You've managed to show me a firearm I've never seen, much less heard of. That looks nice. But when did the M96 debut? The M-14 was already in the hands of soldiers right after the Korean War {still not over} but the military wanted something lighter and a calibre that didn't have as much recoil {this was the early 60's} and Eugene Stoner had his AR-15s ready to go... was that M96 even around during the weeding out process of the M-14 in favor of the M-16 and it's many variants? That might have something to do with why it wasn't picked. Not 100% on that, but I'm speculating. Unfortunately many soliders died while feilding the M-16 models in NAM which led to the M-16A1 variant {slightly improved} and CAR-15s {todays M-4 Carbine} and with the AR series being so modular, they just kept adding onto the 5.56mm {.203} M-16s up to and including the M-16A4s currently in use in Iraq. I know that during the testing phases for the A2 models the U.S. DOD almost went with FN-FAL, but in the end they stuck to Stoner's design.

I do like the looks of that M96 though.

MERCENARY X99

It's a Stoner rifle actually, it was among the choces for replacement of the M14. It also has an MG cousin, the Stoner 63.

63aMMG.jpg

I believe (may be wrong) they had decided on the M96 but changed their mind for some reason. I think it was issued during Nam to Seal units and still may be. It's still manufactured at least. I know people who've used them extensively and they're all nuts for it. They're more along the lines of an AK in terms of reliability.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Yo, are you shooting in your back yard? That's a no-no back in my home state of Mass :p

nice video by the way, too.

HellioN

20 Year Member
SnairDogg said:
What a waste of money. :oh_no:

What is A waste of money?

I like AK's my self but would take A M-16 over one any day.
If not I would want A FAL or M-14.
I think the best comprimise would be take the AR-10 platform & adapt A gas piston for it.
That way we don't have to retrain the troops but we still get that punch when we need it.
Outherwise I would like to see the 6.8 SPC put to use, All A conversion would need is A new bolt, barrel, & mags.
But I still think the 7.62 NATO is A better choice.
I also think the gas piston is overrated but we'll throw it in to keep the anti direct gas impengment folks off our backs.

The M96 is A nice rifle.
But it is NOT A proudct of Stoners design.
The M96 is baised off the Stoner '63 LMG that sow limited use with our Seals during 'NAM.
Roubust & reliable most of the seals who used it loved it, Problem was...Cost.
We allready had the M60 & it was cheaper to simply fix it's problems than feild A new LMG.
The M96 your showing is A creation from A company called ROBINSON ARMAMENT & is A relativly new rifle.
Not around during the ARMY's weapons trials.
The closest thing would have been the Armalite AR-18, Good rifle not well recived.
I think Merc X99 is confused about the FAL tho.
Designated the T41 It was the direct compeitor to the M-14.
It came down to Feeding Springfeild armoury & the fact the FAL was "not designed here" mentalitality.
The M-16 was A solid design from the get go but Robert McNamara & his Wiz kids thought they could mess with the rifles final design...After all they had collage educations & could use computers.
If you look at the M16 of today it is THE 5.56 rifle by wich all outhers are judged, & IMO the best.
Like I said the M96 is nice, But it doesent do anything the M16 already does...& does it better.

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
HellioN said:
The M96 is A nice rifle.
But it is NOT A proudct of Stoners design.
The M96 is baised off the Stoner '63 LMG that sow limited use with our Seals during 'NAM.

Ah, well I had it partially correct.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
HellioN said:
What is A waste of money?

I like AK's my self but would take A M-16 over one any day.
If not I would want A FAL or M-14.

I think Merc X99 is confused about the FAL tho.
Designated the T41 It was the direct compeitor to the M-14.
It came down to Feeding Springfeild armoury & the fact the FAL was "not designed here" mentalitality.

#1> I can dig it, I just like the more robust Kalishnikov design over Stoner and it's the best thing the Commies ever came up with. Personally I'd rather buy a un-banned model AK-47 for $450 bones than throw down $1,000 + for an AR series rifle myself. But as we gun ppl know, there are two types of ppl, Kalishnikov lovers and Stoner lovers... there's rarely an in-between. In this case I'd go with a fully customized SPETSNAZ edition AK, over an M-16A4. But hey amigo, to each their own. :)

#2> Yeah, I stand corrected on that. It's good to know there's someone else on these boards {well, actually there are a few} who also know a good deal about firearms and can school me from time to time as well.

#3> I stand corrected on the BM-59 {by far my favorite version of the Garand series/type Battle Rifle vs. Assault Rifles within the designation of a MBR} in that it like the M-14 was chambered for 7.62mm {.308} and not the .30-06 like I thought for some reason. Between the M-14 and the BM-59 though, I always like the design that Beretta came up with better. I'd put a Picatanny railing system on the top and put me up a red dot LER scope on it personally.

MERCENARY X99

aria

Former Moderator
I don't care about the gun so much, I just wish the aim was better -especially on the Genesis -the first shot was lame.

Meh, I'm not into guns -just into destruction.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
I just want to know what he had against his NES and Genesis? ;)

Now I wish I still had the footage of me blowing away 8 Pickachu
stuffed animals {those giant ones} with a Mossberg 500 12' Gauge
pump action shotgun from back in '99. Oh well. :(

MERCENARY X99

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I'm so jealous of all your guys awesome firearm collections. I'm a poor boy at the moment. I just have a Side by Side 12 gauge (Lafever Nitro Special) and a Ruger 10/22. I'm not 21 yet so i can't own a handgun either.

Anyway i've got some questions for Merc and the rest of my gun homies out there:

I want an AK-47. What should I be looking for in a good AK? Obviously one of the major factors in me getting an AK is the price, and after hearing some stuff from an Ex Air Force Intel officer who specialized in Soviet Weaponry during the cold war i've been convinced of the greatness of the AK. Funny thing this Ex Air Force guy is my Geography teacher at my University. The things we learn in World Political Geography are great :) Anyway, can i get a good, reliable AK for under $400?

Second question, If i can't get an AK i'd settle for ohh something like an SKS rifle. Are they any good? (i've heard varying opinions). Any other cheaper 30cal rifles i should take a look at? I'd like to get something with a little history behind it. I was also looking at getting a Mauser k98 also.

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
Lagduf said:
I'm so jealous of all your guys awesome firearm collections. I'm a poor boy at the moment. I just have a Side by Side 12 gauge (Lafever Nitro Special) and a Ruger 10/22. I'm not 21 yet so i can't own a handgun either.

Anyway i've got some questions for Merc and the rest of my gun homies out there:

I want an AK-47. What should I be looking for in a good AK? Obviously one of the major factors in me getting an AK is the price, and after hearing some stuff from an Ex Air Force Intel officer who specialized in Soviet Weaponry during the cold war i've been convinced of the greatness of the AK. Funny thing this Ex Air Force guy is my Geography teacher at my University. The things we learn in World Political Geography are great :) Anyway, can i get a good, reliable AK for under $400?

Second question, If i can't get an AK i'd settle for ohh something like an SKS rifle. Are they any good? (i've heard varying opinions). Any other cheaper 30cal rifles i should take a look at? I'd like to get something with a little history behind it. I was also looking at getting a Mauser k98 also.

Your best best would be to build one, I plan to do this myself in the near future. You can get a blank reciever at www.acearms.com, and the other parts are very easily found as well. it's 80% meaning it needs machining (but also making it legal), but will be no problem with access to a standard shop. I've heard it's very easy, and my friends have done it for around $250. My friend has tons of info on the subject, I'll get that from him and post it up later.

As for my wish list, the micro-Galil is at the top

galil-mar.jpg

beauty

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Lagduf said:

#1> A damn good Kalishnikov AK-47 can be had for as little as $320 bucks depending on where you go. *This isn't the versions that were made available again now that the "Assault Ban" was lifted. >>Those versions will come with flash supressors, bayonets and often times conversions for old fashioned grenade launchers. Though the Soviet version of the M203 40mm Grenade Launcher is often also now made available, but you won't find anything to launch from them. Those Un-Banned versions will run you in the ball park of $450 + but it's still waaaaaaaaaaaay more affordable than any of the AR-15/M-16 series of assault rifles.

>>>What to look for. *Whomever you're buying from, ask to see the inside barrel of the rifle for any signs of corrosion by using a BORE LIGHT. If it's all nasty inside, go on to the next rifle. You should be seeing a clean spiral inside. *Also make sure there's no gunky Cosmoline left over are jammed in the barrel that is used to store the rifles for long periods of time. The wooden buttstocks, {assuming they're not synthetic or the Sovietski Para-Trooper folding models} should not be expanded or split in any area. Otherwise you'll end up having to replace it later. AKs are built to last, so you shouldn't have too much trouble here, but I did have a Simonov SKS once that had a hairline split in the buttstock leading to the breech, and it got worse after firing it. **Also make sure you get one that the magazine catch/depression switch isn't too tough, {although it does take some getting used to at first}. That's about it really... these are robust weapons made to last be it submerged in water, in the siberian cold etc.

#2> The Simonov SKS was the #1 "Guerrilla" arm until the AK took over. It is a damn good battle rifle, {Notice I said Battle Rifle and not "Assault Rifle} as it's made more along the lines of long rifles like the M-1 Garand and even British .303 SMLE bolt action rifles. The standard versions have the built in 10 round clip, but there are modified version that will take odd looking magazines that operate much like the AK-47. The SKS can be had for as little as $150 tops depending on where you look. Make sure you know your state's Gun Laws before buying anything though. If shopping online give Gun Broker.Com a look see. There are also some Yugoslavian SKS variants that have the grenade laucher sights and a heavier barell as well called the M-59 that have appeared on the markets in the last few years {and was the type I owned}... they are slightly heavier than the standard Simonov though. Take a look at this site = http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/index.asp

#3> A Mauser 98K is a damn good bolt action rifle to own, and I swear by them. You'll not be dissapointed. http://www.mitchellsales.com/ is a place to buy a Mauser if you want one with some history behind it. You can also get nice Mosin-Nagant rifles for as little as $99.00 too. All good for what they are, and the bolts will kill just a deader than hell as the semi-auto stuff. You just got to know your weapon is all.

#4> You've got one helluva' cool University Teacher.

MERCENARY X99

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Shirt in a Can said:
Your best best would be to build one, I plan to do this myself in the near future. You can get a blank reciever at www.acearms.com, and the other parts are very easily found as well. it's 80% meaning it needs machining (but also making it legal), but will be no problem with access to a standard shop. I've heard it's very easy, and my friends have done it for around $250. My friend has tons of info on the subject, I'll get that from him and post it up later.

As for my wish list, the micro-Galil is at the top

galil-mar.jpg

beauty

I'd like any info you have on that, maybe if it is easy enough i'll give it a go. I'm new to firearms (just been a gun owner since earlier this year - love shooting though). Maybe this will be a good learning experience for me. I've been meaning to get a book about my 10/22 and some tools to properly take that thing apart. I'd like to know more about exactly how guns operate (i've got the basic idea, i just want to actually see the parts). Thanks again.

#4> You've got one helluva' cool University Teacher.

Yeah seriously he is the fucking man, his experience helps to give a really great insight into some of the political/military situations we have looked at in the class. Thanks for the tips merc.

Merc does have a great point for anyone interested in firearms. KNOW THE LAWS (federal, state, and local). You definitely don't want to do anything illegal in owning firearms as the penalties are usually very stiff. You can get all the relavant guns laws from the ATF, lemme just find the damn link...

Last edited:

HellioN

20 Year Member
If your new to gun I really don't recomend building an AK right off the bat.
It's simple once you get the hang of it but I would hate to see you spend A bunch of money & have something go wrong.Their is also the headspacing of the AK witch is hard no matter what anyone tells you.
Do that part wrong & it's good bye face.
If your dead set on A AK in that price range go for the romainian SAR-1
It allready has the standard AK look, chambered in 7.62x39, & accepts hi cap (30 round) mags out of the box.
Be weary of this point coz their are models out there that do not take hi cap mags.
If you really want to work on the rifle I might suggest the Russian built Saiga in 7.62x39.
Ist's A russian built gun & converting it to standard configuration is not difficult.
Here is A website for the sagia conversion prosses,
http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/
All the critical work like the receiver & headspacing/attaching the barrel is already done.
Trust me converting A saiga will teach you every aspect of how the AK works...& when your done you basically end up with A russian built gun.
Also I see you live here in MO, So go here
www.ar15.com
And register (it's free, but you do get some cool stuff if you become A paying member.)
Then go here
http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=8&f=32
The second link is the hometown fourm for MO residents to talk, Many helpfull people(& a couple of dealers too :) ).
Even tho it's mostly dedicated to the AR-15 their is A roubust AK section.
Hope to see you there.
The SKS is A damn fine rifle, Very well built & super reliable.
Just don't use any of those "detachable" mags...They do not work & are illegal anyway.
The current crop of Yugo M-59/66's on the market are quite nice, I perosnally don't like them coz thet do not have crome lined barrels.
I say go hunt down A chineese one (yes you read that right).
The chicom SKS rifles, Whilst ugly, are very well built & have crome lined bores.
On one last note don't wright off hte AR-15 coz some say it is too expensive.
Hellion_Dissy.jpg

I built this rifle for $500 wich is just A little more than what you will be paying for A SAR-1 or to convert A saiga.
One last note A lot of us MO members get together the first Saturday of the month for A shoot, You are welcome to come.
All the info you need should be on the hometown MO board at AR15.com
Take care.

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
MERCENARY 99

Gotta agree on the Kalashnikov love-in!
Always wanted to have a go on a dragonov.
Don't like modern military stuff much, don't like 556 in general.
Like ak47s a lot! Thats a fucking tool allright. Dont like plastic space age stuff except that HK caseless thing, which was incredible.
Show us some pics of the spetznas ak's?

Just like Soviet stuff really, functional, does what it should.
You like other soviet hardware?
I love their helicopters!
Titanium tanks with rotors!
Gimmie a Havok over an Apache any day :)
Oh man, and the Helix!
What am I thinking, what about the Ka-50 werewolf Sooooo beautiful!
If I ever win like £20million on the lottery I'm gonna buy a Werewolf, and have it parked in the back garden (Obviously then become some kind of eco-avenger and head of to right some wrongs ;)).

HellioN

20 Year Member
Metal Slug said:
MERCENARY 99

Gotta agree on the Kalashnikov love-in!
CHOP

Looks like you live in A place whare you can not even own guns.
Also your sig is basically attacking the man who protects our rights to own guns unlike that also ran who was more than willing to take them away from us.

But I will agree on one thing tho, Thr Russians do have some sweet hardware.

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
HellioN said:
Looks like you live in A place whare you can not even own guns.
Also your sig is basically attacking the man who protects our rights to own guns unlike that also ran who was more than willing to take them away from us.

But I will agree on one thing tho, Thr Russians do have some sweet hardware.

While I love my guns, supporting a tyrannical childish moron because of his support of them is downright frightening.