joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
The world's first postage stamp, the Penny Black:

Penny_black.jpg

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Next thing you know, you'll be talking about Lionel Model Trains and Bird Watching.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Post a pic. That would make my day.

Jon
We couldn't find that particular one, but here's one where the writer is like "Hey we should get together. But we'll probably be dead before we can."

fAI5Xcu.png

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Next thing you know, you'll be talking about Lionel Model Trains and Bird Watching.
I wonder if 20th century videogame collecting will become an old man trope in the near future, much like it.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
My grandfather had an epic model train layout. He was employed by the railroad for many years. It was essentially in the space of a two car garage. Also I knew where his Playboys were lol.

Model railroads are dope. I’m an acorn lover and just have some Lego trains.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
@Lach , you probably know more about these than I do. There’s one marked 1953 and the two rows above it that look distinctly older.

Attachments

• B00A1B8D-3CCB-4BA0-851C-01AE0B90364D.jpeg
    B00A1B8D-3CCB-4BA0-851C-01AE0B90364D.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 5

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Stamps from an Australia that is no more. Back when we used pennys, pence and begged to suck the royal schlong.
In 1953 we got a royal "visit" which obviously was a big deal having two stuffy westminster pomps come look down their noses at us subjects.

The Van Diemens Land one is cool, we changed the name to Tasmania after the Dutchman Abel Tasman. I think the former name was cooler but the British in 1856 thought not.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Good info Lach. I’m having fun not only arranging the stamps and viewing them but finding out all kinds of historical bits. The world was truly a different place when these stamps were being used. I try to imagine the contents of the letters and packages they posted.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Now that I’m over the hill I saw it fit to properly curate the collection of stamps put together in the 50’s by my grandparents. I know nothing about them other than that some of the US stamps are quite old dating back to the 1800s in some cases. I’m not looking to further the collection but rather preserve what’s there and arrange them in a way so they display nice.

There are quite a few from the US which I’ve already gone through and a ton more from around the world I’m still sorting through. I bought a Lighthouse premium stock book to house them in, 64 pages which holds around 3k stamps which should be enough for what I’ve got. If anyone gives a shit I’ll post some of the highlights or countries people are interested in.

Some of the art on them is absolutely amazing, especially when viewed under magnification. My next purchase will be a few nice, large magnifying glasses of various strengths. Anyone else goobing out with a nice stamp album?
We're are ALL OLD now Chief, I'm up to 2 middle of the night bathroom trips now.

Never collected stamps but I do collect $2 bills, uncommon denomination coins.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
In 1953 we got a royal "visit" which obviously was a big deal having two stuffy westminster pomps come look down their noses at us subjects.
That reminds me I want to come over to Oz and visit you and Mot and look at the little lives you've made for yourselves.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
There are like 6 model train stores within 30 minutes of me. WTF is up with that?
It's just another creative and relaxing hobby that is similar to tabletop gaming.
Luke Towan, Miniatur Wunderland and EverardJunction are some of my favorite YouTube channels even though I never built anything like that and never bought an actual model train. I still think it's fascinating to watch.

I’m an acorn lover and just have some Lego trains.
Spoiler:

These are some really old pictures that I happened to have on a portable SSD:

53178639678_46c164427a_c.jpg

53178146226_831f96451b_h.jpg

Last edited:

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
@LoneSage, I haven’t done any research on these but I think they’re arranged by age. There’s another 2/3 of a page Obviously any factoids you’d like to share would be awesome.

Attachments

• 7B583276-6214-40F4-81C0-50AE65AEF34F.jpeg
    7B583276-6214-40F4-81C0-50AE65AEF34F.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 2

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member

My daughter is an avid birder. They are a strange bunch, but when you're harmless, strange is A-OK. She will drive 3 hours to have a chance to see a single rarity. Mind you she doesn't drive, so rather I will drive 3 hours, each way, for a chance for her to see a random bird. Every vacation is planned around birding hotspots. I've tried to get into it with her, but just can't, but am super pleased she has something she loves.

For me, I collect everything...except stamps. Tried getting into it, just didn't connect to it.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
@LoneSage, I haven’t done any research on these but I think they’re arranged by age. There’s another 2/3 of a page Obviously any factoids you’d like to share would be awesome.
Republic of China 中华民国 stamps, probably from 1920 to 1930. Most feature Dr. Sun Yat-sen, the Father of the Nation who is celebrated to this day on both sides of the Taiwan strait.

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
Good info Lach. I’m having fun not only arranging the stamps and viewing them but finding out all kinds of historical bits. The world was truly a different place when these stamps were being used. I try to imagine the contents of the letters and packages they posted.
If you collect post cards then you actually can read the contents of the old letters, many of which are like short Twitter posts.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
小Lonesage, why must you be so cryptic?
You just locked down an award that only one man cares about.

But that man is a great man so it has meaning.

Ipso facto; your life has meaning.