So How Do You Guys Like Your Steaks?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Rare, with salt, pepper and a couple of fried eggs on top.

Also, chips/fries in a separate bowl on the same plate - as nice as the steak juice is I don't like it making my sides go soggy.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
I'm more of a chicken/pork person myself. I'll take a pork tenderloin any day over most beef steak cuts. I have sensitive teeth, and most steaks aren't as tender as pork or poultry. But as for way I liked mine cooked, I'll say cooked adobo style since I'm filipino.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'm more of a chicken/pork person myself. I'll take a pork tenderloin any day over most beef steak cuts. I have sensitive teeth, and most steaks aren't as tender as pork or poultry. But as for way I liked mine cooked, I'll say cooked adobo style since I'm filipino.

Aw sheeitttt... don't get me started on pork! So damn good. Pulled pork is the best ever.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Aw sheeitttt... don't get me started on pork! So damn good. Pulled pork is the best ever.

I've been eating a good amount of boneless chops lately. I loved the taste/texture now that they've lowered the cooking temps, great on the grill. I used to grill chicken but the higher temp really dries it out in my opinion. Funny enough, Wal Mart in my area has killer chops for some reason, extremely high quality.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I've been eating a good amount of boneless chops lately. I loved the taste/texture now that they've lowered the cooking temps, great on the grill. I used to grill chicken but the higher temp really dries it out in my opinion. Funny enough, Wal Mart in my area has killer chops for some reason, extremely high quality.

Yeah, chicken really does become too dry on the grill, you can't really sear in the juices like beef. Although it is good with barbecue sauce still.

Fried really is the way to go for chicken.

Huh, I'll have to give Walmart a try...

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Yeah, chicken really does become too dry on the grill, you can't really sear in the juices like beef. Although it is good with barbecue sauce still.

Fried is the best imo.

However, I never have issues with chicken on the grill. Lower Temp and longer cooking times, just like meats with casings aka Sausages and Hot dogs. Otherwise, you have dry and horrible tasting shit.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

Wal Mart is a funny company...they get products from different sources. So...the pork I get here in Illinois may very well come a totally different place than where your will come from.

Fried is the best imo.

However, I never have issues with chicken on the grill. Lower Temp and longer cooking times, just like meats with casings aka Sausages and Hot dogs. Otherwise, you have dry and horrible tasting shit.

I "boil" brats first then put them on the grill to brown...yum.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Agreed. When you find some brats, it's best to boil 'em first and then grill 'em. XD

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
The only time I will eat steak is when it's in a stew. For red meat I like using ground bison in chili or sloppy joes.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

What cut of chicken are you using on the grill?

Use a thigh (leave the some/all of the fat on) and it's hard to mess it up.

Alternatively if you're using breast meat, then pound it or cut it thin. I'm talking like 1/4" to 1/2" - it'll cook quicker and wont dry out even with HIGH heat coming off your grill.

I've seen Wings done well on the grill as well.

PS: Charcoal 4 lyfe.

Actually the last couple times I've "grilled" has been over a wood fire whilst car-camping.

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
With chicken, it's best to keep the skin on. I use hoisin sauce which leaves a charred layer outside of the skin and that seals the juices in.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Slightly off topic...I threw down some NY Strips last night, which were great BTW. Somewhere here, A1 thick and hearty was mentioned. Now, being a huge fan of A1...I decided to pick up some of this thick and hearty kind.

Personally, I love the spice and tang of A1, I happen to love vinegar so it's a favorite of mine. I often put it on burgers or fries.

The thick and hearty is interesting, much sweeter (2.5x the sugar content of A1 if the label can be believed). I liked it but not on a steak...with that level of sweetness I can see it being better on chops or chicken. It's has an almost BBQ sauce quality about it.