racecar

Iori's Therapist
20 Year Member
sound and feels like a beetle song …. While my guitar gently weeps
Guilty pleasure of having thing on replay for 30 minutes on my work computer

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I kind of feel like it is only a partial song still. Like it's missing something that I can't quite put my finger on, but overall I like it.

Reactions: Syn

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Harrison had trouble playing While My Guitar Gently Weeps so he got his buddy Clapton to play it.

They have a few videos documenting how John Lennon's unfinished song evolved to Now and Then.

sirlynxalot

Belnar Institute Student
Fagit of the Year
I kind of feel like it is only a partial song still. Like it's missing something that I can't quite put my finger on, but overall I like it.
You have two old men singing on it with rough voices instead of two 30 years olds with high and clear voices.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
It’s alright. I saw Paul McCartney in concert last week, that was good.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
At his age he's still good?
I hear Bob Dylan is a horrible performer now.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
At his age he's still good?
I hear Bob Dylan is a horrible performer now.
The other guys he’s with sing along a lot to bolster his voice a bit. He banged out Helter Skelter though and seemed to do a decent job of it. Played almost 3 hours no problem.

Bob’s still kicking along, I saw him about 12 years ago. Voice is shot but he rearranges his songs (like he always has anyway) to make the performance work. If you don’t like his albums from this century onwards it’s a bit pointless seeing him anyway.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
Love the Beatles but I'm not a fan of this song. Not wrong but nothing special either. Love free as a bird. that is also already 30 years ago.

yagamikun

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
Meh - It's okay. I'm not a big fan of the Beatles, but I don't dislike them either.

I've been into some retro revival stuff lately, though. Especially Tears for Fears who put out a very good album last year called The Tipping Point that's very much worth checking out. Quite different than their 80's breakout albums and quirky 90's stuff.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I like it, it's a good song, nothing too special but good.

Couldn't say that I'm a true Beatles fan as a whole but I dig, and I mean really dig some of their songs from various albums. They're just wonderfully composed and arranged, very inspiring for someone who is into making music.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
It's missing some of the lyrics from the demo version. So, that makes it somewhat more repetitive. But I can guess the reasons they dropped that part ("I don't wanna lose you")- the song was originally supposed to just be a mournful love song. And the piano is Paul playing, not the original piano track from the demo. Maybe they couldn't keep it with AI.

I still prefer the demo version from 1977 (perhaps more emotional impact to it). John had an ear for what sounded good. But I like both versions.
The alternate artwork for the single is better IMO (more in keeping with the artwork for the Free as a Bird and Real Love singles).
They should put Now And Then at the beginning of the Anthology 3 album, where it was originally supposed to be.

Here are both versions of the song, one after the other:

Last edited:

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
It's missing some of the lyrics from the demo version. So, that makes it somewhat more repetitive. But I can guess the reasons they dropped that part ("I don't wanna lose you")- the song was originally supposed to just be a mournful love song. And the piano is Paul playing, not the original piano track from the demo. Maybe they couldn't keep it with AI.
It's amazing that Lennon's vocals were recorded on a portable cassette recorder from the 70s (Sony CF-580). But it was high quality for what it was, and it had two built-in condenser mics. He also used it to record the demos which were used for Free as a Bird and Real Love.
I suppose you could still use it now, given that you can rely on AI to clean up your recording.

Dec09-Sony-Fig1.jpg

I still prefer the demo version from 1977 (perhaps more emotional impact to it). But it's John Lennon, and not the Beatles.
The alternate artwork for the single is better IMO.

Here are both versions of the song, one after the other:
That spine chilling moment where you agree with Joe.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The lyrics are more tragic when you consider he was divorced, had a mistress during the second marriage and astranged son from the previous marriage.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Apart from a song here and there, I've always respected the Beatles for their contributions to music more than I liked any of their actual songs. The story behind this song is infinitely more interesting than the song itself. The fact that they all got to touch it is nice even if the final product seems kind of disjointed and the footage of Paul, Ringo and George from the 90s all meeting in relative secrecy and trying to cobble something together with John's messy demo tape was kind of touching.

I'm sure this is a nice little button for a lot of Beatles fans who will wonder "what if?" when Paul and Ringo eventually kick it.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
It sounds like a Traveling Wilburys song because Jeff Lynne is involved, and can’t stay out of his own way.

This song wasn’t ‘finished’ by the surviving members; it’s been mutated.

The rough demo was deconstructed, and rendered bits were added onto and over-produced like a Lego free build of pieces from a partial Lego set. A set where half the pieces are melted from being left on a car dash board.

They should’ve let this one be.