Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Fear Street on Netflix was really well done. Really did well on the 1666 installment. But as a three part series, it was satisfying.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Fear Street on Netflix was really well done. Really did well on the 1666 installment. But as a three part series, it was satisfying.

havent seen the last one yet, but they have been great popcorn horror flicks leading up to it. I am not sure I like the reverse chronology, but I'll have to see the last movie to see if that opinion sticks.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
In the Mouth of Madness- Not as relevant today as I kind of feel like the days of Stephen King event level horror literature are behind us but it still holds up as a solid movie. Pretty original and some genuinely creepy moments.

Death Spa- The ghost of a high tech gym owner's wife haunts the gym and kills everyone with the equipment and other misc. supernatural shit.

Last edited:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Red Woods

While filming old abandoned houses searching for ghosts, people end up being hunted by a vengeful killer making his own film. A low budget thriller that I liked.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
You know what's a movie I want to see?
The Frighteners. Haven't seen that in like 15 years. Even YouTube doesn't seem to have many clips of it

fake

15 Year Member

I watched the first one last night. I feel like they didn't do enough to establish that it was set in the 1990s. Maybe some music cues or band posters and stickers would have helped?

The Adventures Prince of Achmed
Holy shit, this was awesome. It uses cut-out silhouettes and tinted backdrops. Some of the cutouts are super detailed and they're all very expressive. Lots of creativity, especially for the 1920s.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I watched the first one last night. I feel like they didn't do enough to establish that it was set in the 1990s. Maybe some music cues or band posters and stickers would have helped?

Holy shit, this was awesome. It uses cut-out silhouettes and tinted backdrops. Some of the cutouts are super detailed and they're all very expressive. Lots of creativity, especially for the 1920s.

You mean you couldn’t tell it was the 1990s from the Commodore Amiga 500 in the background in one of the scenes?

/s…

fake

15 Year Member
You mean you couldn’t tell it was the 1990s from the Commodore Amiga 500 in the background in one of the scenes?

/s…
I did notice the chatroom kid's font was set to Calibri, which didn't exist until the mid-2000s. SMH.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

This is a great film.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Paper Tigers was silly. Trailer made it look better than it was. Three washed up king fu students find out their sifu died and investigate it. Should have been so much more.
I just rented this, it caught my eye a while back and I forgot about it. Definitely agree this could have been much better, the concept was certainly thetr, but it just needed more.

The heavier guy was the best of the three and carried the other two comically and martial arts wise.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
King Kong 76'- I actually really like this movie perhaps because of all of it's problems and man are there a lot. It feels quaint and it's definitely a throwback to old era Hollywood style movie making. Especially in the late 70s when there was a big move toward more realistic and gritty stuff. It also doesn't help that Star Wars came out around the same time and totally changed the games as far as special effects.

It doesn't hurt having Jessic Lange running around near naked for a big portion of the run time. Really makes up for the fact that her character might be retarded.

tumblr_puk6gyugrN1sqf5tdo3_400.gif

It looks like there is a 180+ cut of the movie made for TV included on the Blu-ray I got. I'll have to look into that, it seems odd that that would be left out of the theatrical release unless it was purposefully made to run in a weekend afternoon 4 hour time slot.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I saw it in the theater a couple as a kid. Divorced parents so I had each take me. Although I like the original better, i do like this one a lot. Having it modern worked well.

The 2005 Kong I didn't really like, I've only watched it once. Watts teeth and horrible Jack Black ruined it for me. She must give awesome blow jobs to have been given the role...Black too.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
King Kong 76'- I actually really like this movie perhaps because of all of it's problems and man are there a lot. It feels quaint and it's definitely a throwback to old era Hollywood style movie making. Especially in the late 70s when there was a big move toward more realistic and gritty stuff. It also doesn't help that Star Wars came out around the same time and totally changed the games as far as special effects.

It doesn't hurt having Jessic Lange running around near naked for a big portion of the run time. Really makes up for the fact that her character might be retarded.

View attachment 51349

It looks like there is a 180+ cut of the movie made for TV included on the Blu-ray I got. I'll have to look into that, it seems odd that that would be left out of the theatrical release unless it was purposefully made to run in a weekend afternoon 4 hour time slot.
I loved this movie as a little kid. If Star Wars hadn't come out the following year, King Kong '76 probably would have stayed my favorite movie for a long time. And whatever its many flaws, it does have a John Barry score which makes up for a lot.

The 2005 movie, I couldn't even finish. Peter Jackson's usual self-indulgence turned up to 11. I guess we should be grateful he didn't stretch it out to 3 movies, but it's still interminably long and takes forever to get to any point. Jessica Lange may not be the best actress ever, but Naomi Watts doing her ridiculous American accent sometimes gets old in any movie that isn't Mullholland Drive. And Jeff Bridges > Jack Black and Adrien Brody any day of the week.

The original is still the best, but I'll take the '76 remake a million miles over Peter Jackson masturbating for 3 1/2 hours.

Reactions: Syn

Toaster Strudel

back to basics
15 Year Member
Starting to watch A Quiet Place Part 2. Hopefully, it's good.
Going to rewatch it for a final opinion...was slightly distracted while watching it on my first pass. Initial reaction is that it seemed okay but not as good as the first. Most of the time, there wasn't much tension for me and some initial expectations of what I thought I'd see in the plot didn't really materialize.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Going to rewatch it for a final opinion...was slightly distracted while watching it on my first pass. Initial reaction is that it seemed okay but not as good as the first. Most of the time, there wasn't much tension for me and some initial expectations of what I thought I'd see in the plot didn't really materialize.
I am really, really glad that you told us you were watching a movie, and then followed up with a post that you didn't pay attention the first time. Thanks for keeping us updated basic. This is important to know.

Toaster Strudel

back to basics
15 Year Member
I am really, really glad that you told us you were watching a movie, and then followed up with a post that you didn't pay attention the first time. Thanks for keeping us updated basic. This is important to know.
I need to get my post count up to become untouchable.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Who even cares about post count? Teenagers? Take me back to zero and I wouldn't give a fuck. The last time I looked I was at 30,000. Fuck looks like I'm 39,465. That's probably not good for my health. Aw fuck. basic you fucked everything up.

Toaster Strudel

back to basics
15 Year Member
Who even cares about post count? Teenagers? Take me back to zero and I wouldn't give a fuck. The last time I looked I was at 30,000. Fuck looks like I'm 39,465. That's probably not good for my health. Aw fuck. basic you fucked everything up.
Is this about me slowly becoming friends with roker as he pushes you away? Is this why you are directing all this angst towards a guy just trying to share his love of movies?

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
LoneSage, it may be a few years away, but I just want to wish you an early happy 20 year anniversary of joining these forums so I can be the first to congratulate you.

Congratulations.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Is this about me slowly becoming friends with roker as he pushes you away?
Friend? Here? On neo-geo.com/forums?

I fucking knew roker for 15 years before he went full "I don't like you" like some little bitch. Friends on internet forums don't count for shit. In real life, a friend would wonder where someone's been after not talking for a while. Here? This isn't a place where we're friends. This is a place where we post to get away from our reality. The problem is this shit's been going on for so fucking long no one expected it to do so.

The roker/LoneSage beef is hilarious. Who even knows if it's real. It's not real from my end, anyway.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Rot emailed me when I stopped posting here for awhile to see if I was ok.

It made me feel like a million bucks.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Yeah and I checked on your profile as well when you didn't post but I am the far outlier here, not the norm. No one even cares DevilRedeemed hasn't posted in forever. And that's just one guy out of a thousand. One day people will stop posting here and not announce it and that'll be it. Like thuggles.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
I just tried to send you a friend request but I don't know how to even do that anymore....I don't even know if that is possible anymore.

So maybe you're right, there are no friends here.