Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I've got all three Tomb Raider movies sitting in my unwatched mountain of DVDs too and STK has shattered all my dreams about the newest film. But . . . knowing me, I'll probably think it's Oscar worthy when I finally get around to watching it. 😂
Yeah, if you liked Sucker Punch, you'll love Tomb Raider 2018.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Godzilla vs. Kong - sure, whatevs. Dumb as rocks as has been noted, but generally still a good time once the fightin' round the world starts. Cramming Millie's Scooby gang in felt completely forced and unnecessary, though.

Ravage - one of the weirdest movies I've watched in quite a while. It's kind of what you'd get if you mixed about half I Spit on Your Grave (woman seeks brutal revenge on bad dudes) and half You're Next (said woman is remarkably capable when it comes to killing people) and then copied the setting from The Hills Have Eyes (backcountry family/gang of crazy people who gleefully slaughter outsiders). It had a nasty tone even by the genre's standards, which worked, and watching the protag get revenge was mostly alright, and then the ending was utterly terrible. It's meant to be shocking, but it just comes off as completely unearned, illogical, and dumb.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I'm going to get some food at Mooby's tomorrow...Snoochies.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I'm going to get some food at Mooby's tomorrow...Snoochies.
Alanis Morissette was okay as God but I gotta admit I prefer Mark Hamill as the Cock Knocker.

Anyway, I re-watched
A Horrible Way to Die - it's okay. Given that it's Adam Wingard directing all of his (old?) favorite actors, kinda not really up to par. AJ Bowen was pretty good, Siemetz and Swanberg didn't really have much to work with.

Big Bad Wolves - I didn't notice how much black humor there is in this the first time I watched it, there really is a lot and it does a strangely effective job of adding to the dark, violent tone of things. The ending twist pushes the limits of suspension of disbelief, but the three main characters are so well-written and acted that they carry the movie just fine and make it worth the time.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Mooby's was actually pretty good! I had an Impossible burger, onion rings, and stink palm chocolate covered pretzels. They had a big "I assure you we are open" sign and inflatable Blunt-Man and Chronic characters out front. Inside they had Mooby's branding and signed headshots of Clerks and Jay & Silent Bob cast members, and they were playing the soundtracks from the movies.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
The stink palm makes it unlikely Smith will shake a fan's hand. Too many people have tried to get him.

• Haha
Reactions: wyo

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
More shiznit I don't need and may not even watch arrived in ze mail.

IMG_20210414_181201650_50.jpg

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The contrast between the two items pictured is so bizarre.

If you watch any of those Open Season movies and not Aeon Flux then you're seriously fucked up.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The contrast between the two items pictured is so bizarre.

If you watch any of those Open Season movies and not Aeon Flux then you're seriously fucked up.
So you’re telling him not to bother with Aeon Flux...

@M

20 Year Member
But, but, there's this bear, and a deer, and they find themselves involved in comical hijinks or some shit. I don't know, I think I bought the DS game years ago. It was three movies for five bucks, how could M say no?

Aeon Flux, I don't think I ever really understood what was going on, probably because I never watched them in sequence.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
So you’re telling him not to bother with Aeon Flux...
Well judging by his history he'll watch the first Open Season rate it 4/5 and never watch the other 2 or Aeon Flux but he will buy the live action Aeon Flux for $2 and rate it 5/5.

@M

20 Year Member
Well judging by his history he'll watch the first Open Season rate it 4/5 and never watch the other 2 or Aeon Flux but he will buy the live action Aeon Flux for $2 and rate it 5/5.
I cannot find fault with the Oracle's predictions. Verily, his words portend deeds that will come to pass ere long.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
live action Aeon Flux wasn't terrible iirc. Just an average post-Matrix dystopian movie.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
If you've never seen the Aeon Flux cartoons you are missing out big time

The animation is pure hand-drawn authentic psychedelia.

They aren't meant to be seen in sequence. The first "run" were all bizarre shorts that pay no mind to a timeline or anything. Then they made a few longer episodes that had a story, but they are still fairly non-continuous and do things with the 'plot' to fuck with life, death, and time .

The original shorts are the best. The following longer cartoons are also very cool, though.

@M

20 Year Member
I use to watch Aeon Flux on MTV, back in the day, both the Liquid Television shorts and the longer works. The only one I remember is the acrobatic couple where the dude got across the East/West Germany-esque wall, but, she didn't, and they'd be talking and fucking through a hole in the wall, he cheated on her with Aeon, and then, at the end, his woman tried to get across again, almost succeeded, but, they improved the security and her legs got severed at the hips. There's some deeper meanings there, but, my take home lesson was that you can still get off through the glory holes in that wall.

Anyhow, this is a 3-disc set with all the shorts, the longer episodes, and a fuck ton of bonus content. $13 at Walmart.com, but, I think it was a 3rd party seller.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Be advised, I heard they did some 'editing' on the DVD release. Like replacing entire animations or backgrounds or something, idk if its true. I have all of the tapes instead.

@M

20 Year Member
I was reading something about that online, but, I think it was a digital release, not these, but, I could be wrong. Won't matter if I never watch them anyway like the Oracle prophesied. 😉

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Because he's mentally ill. Aeon Flux is the only worthwhile thing he's bought in years everything else is just bargain bin junk from Walmart like The 3 Totally Unrelated starring Kevin James, Tyler Perry and Jamie Kennedy movie packs you see for $5. Leprechaun meets Madea and Son of the Mask in Space level shit.

@M

20 Year Member
I like animated CG movies and animal stories/comedy. I expect the Open Season films are probably just mediocre, but, that's okay. I do tend to buy multi-movie packs just because they're a good deal, but, usually off of Walmart's website, rather than in-store, because it's more convenient. I didn't buy any $1 DVDs the last time I was in the dollar store though, so, I do have SOME self control. 😂

Part of me kind of wishes that I would get laid off for a few months so I'd have the time to watch some of this stuff.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Part of me kind of wishes that I would get laid off for a few months so I'd have the time to watch some of this stuff.
M if I met you in person I'd beat you into an inch of your life so you'd understand the value of living.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Also change your fucking avatar. Thanks. I went back to Haggar so you go to something that's less offensive to my eyes.

@M

20 Year Member
M if I met you in person I'd beat you into an inch of your life so you'd understand the value of living.
Living has little value for me anymore, Sage, and no amount of beatings is going to change that. A woman recently told me that I don't live, I just exist, and she's probably right. It's hard to care about things (other than nonsense in my case) when the carpet might get yanked out from underneath you at any moment--some people would argue that's when you should live life to the fullest, but, I'm more "whatever" about it.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Leprechaun vs Madea would be amazing.

I want to visit the Warwick Davis Museum.