Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Mid 90s- So Jonah Hill made a movie and it's pretty damn good. It's nice to see a throwback movie that isn't set in the fucking 80s. The movie is extremely accurate for time from the clothes, brands, video games and the soundtrack is fucking killer. If you were into skating in the 90s this is gonna hit pretty close to reality. Recommended.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Mid 90s- So Jonah Hill made a movie and it's pretty damn good. It's nice to see a throwback movie that isn't set in the fucking 80s. The movie is extremely accurate for time from the clothes, brands, video games and the soundtrack is fucking killer. If you were into skating in the 90s this is gonna hit pretty close to reality. Recommended.

I saw this in the theater. Agreed on all of that.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior

I had the same Ninja turtle bed sheets as a kid. The movie really took me back.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member

Setting seemed really familiar. Looked it up. Says it was set in 1996 Palms, Los Angeles. In 1996, I was set in Palms, Los Angeles.

I'll check it out if it ever shows up on a streaming service or something here. No way it made it to Japanese dvd.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Nobody
It follows the Taken theme, but I actually felt Bob gave it more personality. I agree with Rot that it's not John Wick, but I don't think it's trying to be that outlandish. My partner and I enjoyed this one.

Scanners (1981)
I saw this in some random recommendation on reddit, and decided to give it a go. It's a damn good thriller scifi movie. What really stuck out was the main character's lack of acting ability while everyone else was amazing. I think this plot holds up extremely well to this day. Great artwork throughout that really sets the tone. I'm sure it's mostly known for the special effects. Lots of gore with poorly colored blood. It's like they went to the kid's section of the art store and picked up Red Acrylic paint for it.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Scanner is a classic.

It was probably the best of Cronenbergs early stuff before you get into Videodrome, The Fly, Dead Ringers etc. He's an interesting filmmaker when you start looking at what he makes by decade, he really changes.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I finished the 13 episodes on the first disc of my Jayce and the Wheeled Wars collection (it feels like a Phantasy Star anime to me, even though I know it's based on the old Mattel attack vehicles toy line), and I needed a break, so, instead of watching something from the mountains of shit I already have, I bought Edge of Tomorrow, which sounded like something I'd like from the recent comments in this thread about it.

I enjoyed it. Starship Troopers meets Groundhog's Day. The repeating day/deaths made this film a lot more interesting, and at times humorous, than it would have been otherwise. Impressive CG effects. Tom Cruise isn't a favorite of mine, but he did pretty good work here. Some of the night battle/action scenes at the end were too dark/chaotic to easily tell what was going on, and the happy, everybody lives, ending was too tidy for my tastes, but, those are my only real criticisms. The weapon/creature bonus shorts were solid too. 8.5/10.0 stars and I'd recommend it.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Zack Snyder's Justice League is somehow not a disaster. Several orders of magnitude better than the 2017 theatrical cut in that it's actually a coherent film this time around. It's too long and there are still some issues, but this is probably the best thing Zack Snyder has ever released (not that I was ever a fan of his to begin with).

Why they cut that Wonder Woman action sequence out of the beginning of the theatrical cut I will never understand. Wonder Woman is cooler and more effective in just those 3 minutes than she was in the entirety of the WW 1984 film.

If DC would have just released Batman vs Superman Ultimate and Zack Snyder's Justice League instead of Batman vs Superman Theatrical and Joss Whedon's Justice League the entire trajectory of their film universe could have been altered forever. Because Batman vs Superman Theatrical and Joss Whedon's Justice League are two of the shittiest comic book films ever made, while the Snyder versions are actually watchable.
Damn I’m actually going to have to watch both now. I was not even aware there was a different cut of Batman v Superman.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Damn I’m actually going to have to watch both now. I was not even aware there was a different cut of Batman v Superman.
Yeah, they cut 30 minutes of crucial plot points out to make it fit in standard Imax format. It doesn't make it a great movie but it makes it coherent and watchable.

@M

20 Year Member
I think the theatrical release was a coherent and good movie, but, I also bought and enjoyed the Jonas Bros. NDS and Britney Spears PS2 video games, so, I really can't be trusted. 😉

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah, they cut 30 minutes of crucial plot points out to make it fit in standard Imax format. It doesn't make it a great movie but it makes it coherent and watchable.
Im interested to see “what could” have been.

I had seen all the hype for the Snyder cut of Justice League and was also wondering what the deal was. How could a cut of a movie be so different? Well color me Impressed.

@M it’s okay fam, I really liked Edge of Tomorrow. Great flick and I actually think Tom Cruise is a great action hero. I liked Jack Reacher 1 and 2 and I also enjoyed his other sci-fi flick: Oblivion.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The Odds - kind of like Would You Rather (also Cheap Thrills somewhat), but with a two-person cast and some very strange tonal shifts from scene to scene (maybe intentional? I dunno, not really a fan of them either way). The ambiguous nature of what's really happening works pretty well, but then the ending is too blunt and doesn't really land well. Also should have been about 25 minutes shorter.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Watch a comparison video on Youtube and save yourself five plus hours. Batman v Superman is garbage no matter how long you make it. It's laughably melodramatic (even by superhero movie standards), it fundamentally misunderstands pretty much every character in it and the last 30 minutes are Michael Bay levels of headache-inducing inscrutable noise/action. I'm not part of the Zack Snyder hate brigade but that movie was a 200 million dollar garbage fire.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Watch a comparison video on Youtube and save yourself five plus hours. Batman v Superman is garbage no matter how long you make it. It's laughably melodramatic (even by superhero movie standards), it fundamentally misunderstands pretty much every character in it and the last 30 minutes are Michael Bay levels of headache-inducing inscrutable noise/action. I'm not part of the Zack Snyder hate brigade but that movie was a 200 million dollar garbage fire.
Like M, I have low standards.

@M

20 Year Member
It's not a question of low or high standards, it's just cool to shit on everything these days. 😉

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Zack Snyder and Michael Bay are really pretty similar filmmakers, except Bay seems to have a little more self awareness. He seems to understand and be fine with the fact he's making garbage, whereas Snyder seems to be under the illusion he is creating depth.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Im interested to see “what could” have been.

I had seen all the hype for the Snyder cut of Justice League and was also wondering what the deal was. How could a cut of a movie be so different? Well color me Impressed.

@M it’s okay fam, I really liked Edge of Tomorrow. Great flick and I actually think Tom Cruise is a great action hero. I liked Jack Reacher 1 and 2 and I also enjoyed his other sci-fi flick: Oblivion.
Im really glad you guys enjoyed it. Its honestly one of my favorite movies. Be cool to watch it for the first time again

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Zack Snyder and Michael Bay are really pretty similar filmmakers, except Bay seems to have a little more self awareness. He seems to understand and be fine with the fact he's making garbage, whereas Snyder seems to be under the illusion he is creating depth.
Apparently he wanted to call Batman v Superman “Knight of Night, Son of Sun.”

@M

20 Year Member
That's a cool name, but probably too long. Nice subtitle though.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
It's true that they both suck, but one thing Snyder gets credit for is being the first guy to put a Batman in a live action scene where he actually looks impressive fighting. Keaton could barely move in his suit so his fight scenes are very stiff, the Schumaker and Adam West films are just campy, and Nolan's trilogy has some of the worst hand to hand combat scenes ever. Incoherent camera work, bad choreography, bad work in the suit by Bale.

The movie itself ain't good, but this scene is what it should look like when Batman fights a bunch of thugs. Batman moves fluidly and hits with force, the action is in-frame and centered, the camera isn't shaking all over the place, there are few cuts, Affleck looks convincing.

Michael Bay fight scenes are just big and loud like everything else he does. Both directors are one-note, but Snyder has improved over time and Bay hasn't. Compare the fight scenes from 300 to his recent work and it's a night and day improvement. I fucking hated 300 because all of the fight scenes are incoherent messes. Just a bunch of random chaos.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I dunno man every fight scene in JL with bats is either stiff as fuck or completely CG with that weird rubbery/bendy Gumby look.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Just FYI regarding fight scenes and action scenes in general – how tight the framing is, is almost always an indication of the movie's budget constraints.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Not always from a budget standpoint, some directors just think close up constant movement conveys action more dynamically. Which it doesn't, just makes shit confusing. You add in tons or 100% CG and you got yourself a stew, a shit stew.