Is this shit for real?

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Bumping this because prices continue to blow my mind: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/124231409496

Honestly, with prices like this and systems not having decent games under $50, the fun of physically buying games is about over for me. I’m forever trapped in that flea market/yardsale mindset that just doesn’t work anymore. I need to start selling more of my stuff.
GameCube games are stupid expensive now. $100 for Paper Mario, $70-80 for Sunshine, etc.

There are still some deals to be had on Facebook marketplace, and I've had some luck on eBay misspellings. But those are definitely exceptions and not the norm. I was looking for. GBC and GBA phat to do the IPS screen mods on and those systems with missing battery cover and beat to shit are selling for $70 a pop.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I think sometimes people post those crazy prices hoping someone in Dubai starts collecting vidya's.
as much as I love my hoard of videogames, these prices are just too good.

N64 prices are still garbage, but it is n64...

360 i think will creep up as X1X is fully BC.

tangemo

New Challenger
The owner of a local game shop by me was saying he's seen significantly increased interest in anything that's had a mini or classic console in the past few years. After checking out the games on the mini/classics all of a sudden there's an urge to seek out the original hardware and some other original games. I can see that happening with older people's nostalgia, but I can also see that happening in the younger collector crowd as others have mentioned.

I definitely agree with everyone on the stupid US Saturn prices. When I was a teenager I went through so much of the US library getting games on clearance for $20. I treated those discs and cases like crap but still have a few, it's hard to think of those games being worth more than that.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Never understood the U.S prices. Japan is the way to go.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
lmbo Thunder Force 3 with box and manual is now triple digits

What kind of bozos think that's worth it

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The owner of a local game shop by me was saying he's seen significantly increased interest in anything that's had a mini or classic console in the past few years. After checking out the games on the mini/classics all of a sudden there's an urge to seek out the original hardware and some other original games. I can see that happening with older people's nostalgia, but I can also see that happening in the younger collector crowd as others have mentioned.

I don't understand wanting to own physical copies of games if it's someone that wasn't playing them back in the day. I thought you kids were supposed to care about the environment and not culturally appropriating my youth. Nostalgia is the only legitimate justification, and it's a thin one at that. If you are 25 or 30 years old meticulously collecting games from 30 year old system it's safe to say you should probably reconsider most of your life choices.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I don't understand wanting to own physical copies of games if it's someone that wasn't playing them back in the day. I thought you kids were supposed to care about the environment and not culturally appropriating my youth. Nostalgia is the only legitimate justification, and it's a thin one at that. If you are 25 or 30 years old meticulously collecting games from 30 year old system it's safe to say you should probably reconsider most of your life choices.

Antiques

Vinyl

Cassette Tapes

Microphones

there's a lot of old shit that people go after, despite the timeline.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Never understood the U.S prices. Japan is the way to go.

Sadly for the most part the more common Japanese counterparts to popular titles are going for gouge-y prices too out there

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I kind of wanted to pick up some n64 games but I am afraid to even look. I’m sure those are ridiculous as well.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Bumping this because prices continue to blow my mind: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/124231409496

Honestly, with prices like this and systems not having decent games under $50, the fun of physically buying games is about over for me. I’m forever trapped in that flea market/yardsale mindset that just doesn’t work anymore. I need to start selling more of my stuff.

LOL VGA-anything. I will never EVER understand the people into sealed games and VGA graded garbage. Once this shit started becoming commonplace, I actually decided I was done with the hobby. I'm mainly using flashcarts now. It's the ugliest side of the hobby and it's downfall as far as I'm concerned. I also love when people start to defend collecting sealed games and buying multiples of titles just to show a stack of sealed games...so gross.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
LOL VGA-anything. I will never EVER understand the people into sealed games and VGA graded garbage. Once this shit started becoming commonplace, I actually decided I was done with the hobby. I'm mainly using flashcarts now. It's the ugliest side of the hobby and it's downfall as far as I'm concerned. I also love when people start to defend collecting sealed games and buying multiples of titles just to show a stack of sealed games...so gross.

These are the same people who won’t use Everdrives since they don’t “feel the same”. I don’t understand that at all.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
These are the same people who won’t use Everdrives since they don’t “feel the same”. I don’t understand that at all.

They "don't feel the same" because they aren't collectibles (yet...) so they can't play pretend "game preservationist" to justify having them like they do with their sealed games, and they barely play anything. Nothing much to understand beyond that.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I will say the everdrive convenience and cost effectiveness is fantastic, but I do feel my attention span and want to beat a game diminishes quickly when I have 3000+ games in front of me. It's a personal problem, I know, but I always felt that I pay much more attention to the games I own that what's available on an Everdrive

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I will say the everdrive convenience and cost effectiveness is fantastic, but I do feel my attention span and want to beat a game diminishes quickly when I have 3000+ games in front of me. It's a personal problem, I know, but I always felt that I pay much more attention to the games I own that what's available on an Everdrive

I feel like going for 1ccs restores the discipline required to not switch games after 5 mins with everdrives. If you're into the game you can spend weeks with a game that never gets overwritten out of the flash cart. You gotta commit to a game and try to choose what you're playing before ever booting into the flash cart menu.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
You know you can put a single ROM on your Everdrive too. [emoji1] I understand where you guys are coming from, but this reason comes up so much it’s a head scratcher to me.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I kind of wanted to pick up some n64 games but I am afraid to even look. I’m sure those are ridiculous as well.

Carts have doubled in price for a lot of N64 games. Super Mario 64 which is probably the most common n64 game is now going for 45-50. I own a lot of n64 stuff as it was always easy to buy a funtastic lot with 10 games for 70 bucks but now it’s getting up there.

I’ve dumped some n64 stuff on eBay and it sells within a day or two. Snes prices are also up ( earthbound is around 275-300 cart only) but they are not as in demand anymore and take longer to move.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
You know you can put a single ROM on your Everdrive too. [emoji1] I understand where you guys are coming from, but this reason comes up so much it’s a head scratcher to me.
Yeah I've got no issue with everdrives other than the investment. Truth be told it's not much at all but I don't have the consoles anyway. Only older console I have is my Saturn, unless you count my 4slot candy.

But I too have felt the problem of having 200000 games and being too distracted to focus on one. Shit I've been meaning to play through Octopath Traveler since it came out but so much other shit is out.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member

Wait? What?

I'm pretty sure Madman is having the last laugh now that his boxed N64 collection is probably worth way much more then he paid for it.

Last edited:

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member

I agree that’s pretty high for thunder force 3. Thunder force II which is super common is now about 40 cib. Genesis was always affordable but really has gone up in the last 5 years.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker

Agreed. I love Everdrives and have a bunch of them for various systems, but I don’t have entire ROMsets on them. They typically have 4-5 dozen ROMS on them each. I do this to avoid “choice paralysis” and to help me appreciate individual games while still avoiding insane eBay prices on games. Having a flash cart doesn’t mean you need to put entire libraries on them, but people seem to think it’s required.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I have a few flash carts and ODE solutions for various systems.

I typically have full rom sets for them but i tend to buy the games I actually want to play for the systems and collect those.
Where the flash carts tend to get used to try new things or just for those occasions when someone comes around and says "oh I used to love playing XXXXX, do you have that?"

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Ya I took a look at ebay and N64 prices are stupid...i'm gonna hold off on buying any games for now.

Besides, I have a sneaking suspicion Nintendo is going to announce an N64 mini in their next Direct. That's right, you heard it here first friends. They got to do something for the holidays. I'd sooner spend my hard earned moola on a N64 mini rather than a PS5 or Xbone Series X.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Why on earth would anyone buy non-JP version Saturn games? Not only are they a fraction of the cost, they also have full-color manuals and have non-flimsy cases that are easier to replace.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
The way the market has gone has pretty much turned me off from any retro period. I dont know who these people are who value these games at these prices. Whats the merit anymore? You literally have so many other ways to play these games and is having garbage sitting on a shelf important to anyone when you've got no nostalgic tie to it.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Why on earth would anyone buy non-JP version Saturn games? Not only are they a fraction of the cost, they also have full-color manuals and have non-flimsy cases that are easier to replace.
Probably so they could play em in their language [emoji23]