Is this shit for real?

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
With all these crazy prices is anyone thinking about selling it all and investing it or doing something constructive with the money? I love my games but with prices this high it does make me ponder it now and then..

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Probably so they could play em in their language [emoji23]

Oh come on, you know as well as I do that the majority of the people buying these games aren't actually going to play them.

Besides, nearly all of the Saturn games worth playing aren't very text-heavy anyway.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Oh come on, you know as well as I do that the majority of the people buying these games aren't actually going to play them.

Besides, nearly all of the Saturn games worth playing aren't very text-heavy anyway.
Fair enough lol

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
I stopped buying most stuff that isn’t MVS carts, and even then that’s not often. I’ve been replacing everything with some type of ode and flash cart. Hell, I even got multi carts from China since the recent ones have some rare games (I have one with holy diver on it, another with Recca). Only reason I was buying carts a couple years ago was my ex worked at a retro game shop. So I got first dibs and great pricing.

I can’t tell you the last time I picked up an nes or SNES game.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
It really seems like nes and snes popularity isn’t what it once was a few years ago.

The prices are still stupid high.

I play my SNES and NES a good amount. But i jail broke my Super NT, most of the games run right off the SD card

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
The prices are still stupid high.

I play my SNES and NES a good amount. But i jail broke my Super NT, most of the games run right off the SD card

Prices have shot up for RPGs on snes like no other genre on the system. Hell two years ago earthbound was 150-175 cart only and now it’s around 300!! I bought chrono trigger for around 75 three years ago and now it’s 150ish. Maybe it’s being stuck at home and RPGs take up a lot of time...

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
With all these crazy prices is anyone thinking about selling it all and investing it or doing something constructive with the money? I love my games but with prices this high it does make me ponder it now and then..

make sure your mom doesn't give them away to some redneck on craigslist if you move out

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Man, like 5 years ago I bought Gaiares on Genesis for $15 CAD complete at a local game store and now it's going for $60+ LOOSE? Crazy.

I'm out of chasing real hardware I think. I sold my near-complete US Dreamcast collection years ago and never really regretted it, and since have slowly sold off my more expensive bits and pieces. Going off on a bit of a tangent, but I especially don't get the price increase of Arcade PCBs. Fuckers are pretty inconvenient to play for most I feel, and they can be fragile and difficult/expensive to fix. I actually enjoy learning and repairing the hardware somewhat but it's the worst when you spend a lot of money on a PCB for it to go belly up, especially for something without a lot of existing repair info on. And sometimes I have to remind myself why I enjoy videogames which is, like, actually playing the video game. Browsing other forums, I get the impression that a lot of people are just looking for ways to spend money. Simply "owning" a game is enough for them to feel like they're engaged with their "hobby". I wouldn't care if it didn't price out people actually interested in playing it though.

Personal opinion: Unless it's your favorite game ever or has some personal attachment to you or something, no single videogame is worth more than $100 to me.
I think I'm just gonna go full FPGA and try and convince myself it's 100% accurate, just to not be burdened with an "investment" that could collapse at any time. Limit hardware to the occasional good deal on a PCB when they pop up on shit I'll actually play, instead of wedging it between plexiglass and putting it on an ikea shelf. Also need to pick up Shock Troopers and NAM MVS carts before I'm priced out of those too.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
make sure your mom doesn't give them away to some redneck on craigslist if you move out

Oh good one :). I’ve got my rare games locked in my gun safe so all is good she can’t get to them :p.

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I just got the itch to pick up a super Gameboy controller...went to eBay. FUCK. So much for that idea... everything is retarded now.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I just got the itch to pick up a super Gameboy controller...went to eBay. FUCK. So much for that idea... everything is retarded now.

When I went to Japan in ‘09 a shop in Akihabara had a huge stack of Super Gameboy 2’s and those controllers for like $10 each NOS. Those days are long gone it seems.

I wanted to pick up a second Saturn lightgun and was shocked by the price of those too. I’m completely out of touch with pricing these days.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
To some degree, this still being a neo geo related forum, it just doesn't seem like a big deal when compared to some of the homecart prices of yesteryear, not even talking about MS. Keeping this in mind, it seems not unreasonable what is happening considering supply versus demand.
I hopped of this waggon years ago, watch it from the side lines. It's all so uninteresting. The sheen regarding these older objects has worn thin.

jdoll

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I sold my collection over a decade ago and now regret it of course but yeah I'd sell and just use a modded saturn. I do still have a saturn so far just using a pseudo cart but can't wait to get further in -saturn isn't a cheap system to enjoy but worth it

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I guess it's only a matter of time before even the shitty games from our past go up in value because why not.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
I guess it's only a matter of time before even the shitty games from our past go up in value because why not.

Some of the most expensive games are the shittiest games though, been like that for ages

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
The bottom line is it has ruined what was some years ago something very enjoyable, picking up and owning (for a time) older, interesting or good games. Some where expensive but it was somewhat justified. The play field seemed fair.
Nowadays it's all bullshit. So being the resented prick that I am, I say go fuck your mother with those things, the meaning has been stripped out completely in terms of what made these material objects special once upon a time

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Some of the most expensive games are the shittiest games though, been like that for ages

That's not true. There are a handful of shitty games with value due to their scarcity.

At any rate. Collectors do have an investment mentality most of the time. People see this spike in prices, and they think it's going to continue over time. The return on investment is still far less than if we just put it in total market fund 10,20, or 30 years ago.

I would also estimate there's a slim chance the Zoomer generation is going to want to collect things like GoldenEye on an N64. It does not hold up well.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Prices have shot up for RPGs on snes like no other genre on the system. Hell two years ago earthbound was 150-175 cart only and now it’s around 300!! I bought chrono trigger for around 75 three years ago and now it’s 150ish. Maybe it’s being stuck at home and RPGs take up a lot of time...

Just saw the prices on the pokemon DS titles, and holy shit my copy of pokemon white version 2 is at $90 complete. All the other titles in the series are up by a lot too just not at the same rate as B/W 2.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
That's not true. There are a handful of shitty games with value due to their scarcity.

At any rate. Collectors do have an investment mentality most of the time. People see this spike in prices, and they think it's going to continue over time. The return on investment is still far less than if we just put it in total market fund 10,20, or 30 years ago.

I would also estimate there's a slim chance the Zoomer generation is going to want to collect things like GoldenEye on an N64. It does not hold up well.

I do believe that some choice games will break through price barriers to attain values which would seem ridiculous today. But this will happen some decades from now and only with very specific games. Everything else may end up dropping in price very much. Such is the nature of collecting - when it becomes something other than what it once was and represents an exponent of high human craft. As is the case with the first Macintosh computers for instance, or the first edition of super man, or a work of art from yesteryear

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
"While you were investing your money in stocks and equities, I was studying the value of video games"

pathlesscookies

New Challenger
Its a combination of people having way too much free time on their hands now due to stay at home and stimulus checks .. high demand for retro games

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Some dude on a Saturn group on FB posted a link to some place that is gonna be selling repro Saturn US cases.

A 10 pack will cost $80 USD.

Wtf Cheryl lol

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Some dude on a Saturn group on FB posted a link to some place that is gonna be selling repro Saturn US cases.

A 10 pack will cost $80 USD.

Wtf Cheryl lol

There are already 2 places making replica cases. Prices aren't that bad considering they required new molds.
I like repro cases better than buying up copies of NHL 96 to replace my broken ones.