How long will this amiibo craze last?

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
Paying retail? (not that I even know what these things are even going for)...sure, ok. The "insta-value" bullshit? I will never understand that element.

yeah all mine have been retail purchases. fuck the resellers

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
This is the Neo forums...so I'm just going to let her rip...

I think all of you are bat-shit crazy. These things will be worth jack-shit in 10 years...

I only paid retail. In fact, all of mine so far are from amazon pre-orders, so I haven't even stepped foot in a retail store to look for them.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
I only paid retail. In fact, all of mine so far are from amazon pre-orders, so I haven't even stepped foot in a retail store to look for them.

Yeah I'm getting to know the guy at Gamestop pretty well :emb:

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
shulk.jpg

Welp, I got my Shulk. Even though they packed it in a huge box with those big plastic air bubble things the thing still looked like somebody sat on it. The figure is fine, but if this thing would have went to some re-seller I know they'd be on the phone with customer service complaining the item was damaged. Fuck it. They're fun to use in the game and they look cool on a shelf. That's what I want em' for. Not to strike while the iron's hot and to flip them all.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Congratulations, you're a cunt.

Last edited:

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
why does one need 5 shulks?

auvW880.gif

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
There is a Shulk on eBay right now for 800 with a BIN of 1200, just cause it's scratched!

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
There is a Shulk on eBay right now for 800 with a BIN of 1200, just cause it's scratched!

We need a mass thinning of the herd here soon...that is just pure stu-fucking-pidity...

*EDIT*
MY-GOD THOSE TITS....THEY'RE FULL OF STARRRRRSSSS!!!!!

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Fucking lol at this shit.

You could get a nice swiss watch for what these things are going for.

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
This is the Neo forums...so I'm just going to let her rip...

I think all of you are bat-shit crazy. These things will be worth jack-shit in 10 years...

I'd ask you to elaborate on why you think that but the easy answer is you can get gassed for just about anything here by anyone and an explanation would be moot anyway. :p

I also don't see the correlation with being compared to doll fuckers like Master Tasuke. I mean if one wanted to they could dress their amiibos up in doll fucker wedding dresses if they wanted but I've seen no evidence of anyone hinting at doing so in this thread (YET :lolz:).

There's also been a few others as well who've chimed in with condescending tones along the lines of "Ermagherd u fookin' nerdz they r just teh toys!" Well no fucking duh! I don't think any of the members who've bought them have refuted that. :loco:

im not looking for any resale at all. I thought they are a pretty cool collectible but i had no idea how stupid this would become.

I'll echo lantus360 on this. Just so we're clear, they're toys/statues first and foremost. ;) They're certainly collectible but at the same time they're marketed along/competing for shelf space against the likes of other interactive toys such as Skylanders and Disney Infinity and have been touted as being interactive with a few games out now and the potential for a wide variety of them in the future (in that regard Nintendo is well known for talking things up and then doing nothing as time goes on :emb:).

It would just be nice if Nintendo would knock it the fuck off with their artificial scarcity bullshit to build up hype. I would think the hype has been established by now, knock it the fuck off already and replenish stores on figures like Marth, Villager, Pit, etc. in ample enough quantities if for no other reason than to fuck the jackass scalpers/resellers/"Character hating" mass buyers as well as the instant gratification hipster douchebags who justify the scalpers/resellers by paying their exuberant prices. :annoyed:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member

And this ladies and gentleman is why amiibos have been flying off the shelves. It isn't because they are super popular (they are popular don't get me wrong), or realy rare (look how many flippers on feebay for a specific amiibo there is before it is released), but because people are buying up more than 1-2 due to the hype and reselling and creating artificial demand. I've seen people with like 17 Shulks+, heck mariotehplumber has like 200 rosalinas now.

One has to love the greater fool theory. Ever since people believed the retarded rumors about Wii fit trainer, marth, and villager being "discontinued", it just keeps self propagating itself with even more bullshit rumors. What people fail to recognize is most of these amiibos were made in November and manufacturing new ones takes some time.

The amiibo craze will eventually end, just like Nintendo's little artificial scarcity on the Wii.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'd ask you to elaborate on why you think that but the easy answer is you can get gassed for just about anything here by anyone and an explanation would be moot anyway. :p

I also don't see the correlation with being compared to doll fuckers like Master Tasuke. I mean if one wanted to they could dress their amiibos up in doll fucker wedding dresses if they wanted but I've seen no evidence of anyone hinting at doing so in this thread (YET :lolz:).

There's also been a few others as well who've chimed in with condescending tones along the lines of "Ermagherd u fookin' nerdz they r just teh toys!" Well no fucking duh! I don't think any of the members who've bought them have refuted that. :loco:

A. The is the Neo forums...no one is safe from a good ball busting.

B. I do actually find it amusing to watch people stress over something so trivial. First world problems 'an all...

C. Nearly everyone here has a "doll" to fuck. Most could say I suck off my cycling buddies or shove my firearms up my ass...the insults go both ways. Personally...I find the thought of some of you shoving these stupid pieces of plastic up your ass then trying to activate them by sitting on your Nintendo hardware to be amusing. Deny it all you want...you know some fucker has tried this already...

The amiibo craze will eventually end, just like Nintendo's little artificial scarcity on the Wii.

I love the eventual collapse of false demand and rarity. It always happens and it always makes me :keke:

These things aren't rare...nor do they have any redeeming value...nor will they be worth jack shit 10 years from now.

If you want them...for face value...because you're into them. More power to you.

Getting caught up in a false-demand market paying 10-100 times what something is worth because of hype and physical stock manipulation, you deserve every dollar you're going to hemorrhage when the bottom drops out of it.

Last edited:

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
A. The is the Neo forums...no one is safe from a good ball busting.

As it should be. ;)

B. I do actually find it amusing to watch people stress over something so trivial. First world problems 'an all...

Stress might be too strong. I certainly don't lose any sleep over the whole scheme but it is aggravating to have to deal with douchebaggery on both ends of the spectrum with both Nintendo's antics and the scalpers/hipsters making things more annoying than they have to be. All in all though, you'll get no argument from me at least that it is all a bunch of first world problems. :smirk:

C. Nearly everyone here has a "doll" to fuck. Most could say I suck off my cycling buddies or shove my firearms up my ass...the insults go both ways. Personally...I find the thought of some of you shoving these stupid pieces of plastic up your ass then trying to activate them by sitting on your Nintendo hardware to be amusing. Deny it all you want...you know some fucker has tried this already...

I had a notion that's what you were alluding to with the Tasuke reference. That guy certainly obsessed over his shit for sure like his numerous creepy creep dolls and that Goddamn VHS player or whatever the hell it was that people ripped on him about and caused his latest flame out. :lolz:

When I read that, I was reminded of this skit for some reason...

:loco:

I love the eventual collapse of false demand and rarity. It always happens and it always makes me

With these it can't happen soon enough and really didn't need to happen in the first damn place. If Nintendo had just said straight up they didn't anticipate the demand and that more are coming, I don't think the frenzy would have hit the fever pitch that it did. Of course expecting backwards ass Nintendo to do anything straight up like that is a fool's perspective it seems. :emb:

These things aren't rare...nor do they have any redeeming value...nor will they be worth jack shit 10 years from now.

If you want them...for face value...because you're into them. More power to you.

I'd like to agree with you on the first part but I just know there's some fucktards out there who will stow away a ton of these like Beanie Babies and wait it out. :oh_no:

Getting caught up in a false-demand market paying 10-100 times what something is worth because of hype and physical stock manipulation, you deserve every dollar you're going to hemorrhage when the bottom drops out of it.

If only the hipster douchebags paying the higher prices and appeasing the dickbag scalpers/resellers would learn from this that'd be great but we both know they won't. :annoyed:

I personally won't pay anything over retail price (shipping costs notwithstanding) for these things and it looks like I'm not alone in this thread on that mentality. It's guys like Giga_Power32bit who should rightfully be vilified for keeping the idiocy going. :angry:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
or shove my firearms up my ass...the insults go both ways.

I'm going to assume this is similar to when the Prince of Canada ripped off the Princess of Canada's arm and shoved it up his own ass on South Park.

Re: Amiibos- these things just aren't fun anymore. The scarcity thing is insane. When a new console launches, it's not too difficult to preorder it (unless it's the Zelda 3DS, hey, that's Nintendo, too!). But even just preordering the new Amiibos is incredibly hard. They go up in the middle of the night (Rosalina) or they start and stop within five minutes at Gamestop (Toad).

I'll go by the shelf at Target or Toys R Us if I'm there for something else (found Toon Link, Villager, and Marth that way), but I just don't want to be any more caught up in it, so no preorders, scalper prices, etc.