Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
It's a weird style. Like a cross between River City Ransom and Mighty Final Fight.
Don't insult mighty final fight this is pure garbage hipster cunting trash compared to MFF.

Its a cross between a comicom attendy jizzing over a Japanese school girl outfit and a hipster spunking on his own boxed collection of famicom games.

It's not a style they are going for the hipster Japan is the best youtuber that has never heard of the series. Absolute garbage

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I would also like to see them bring this art style back

View attachment 65101

This subpar movie that had Koga Shuko T-1000 spawned a real great fighting game on the neo geo. The game engine on there allows a lot of experimentation. I still want to learn how to do the triple air throw in the corner with billy, just haven't got around to it.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
This subpar movie that had Koga Shuko T-1000 spawned a real great fighting game on the neo geo. The game engine on there allows a lot of experimentation. I still want to learn how to do the triple air throw in the corner with billy, just haven't got around to it.

I like that game too. Great music, and it's just fun. Haven't played it in a while though. I recall talking about it with tak a few years ago, and he told me he had written a guide about it at some point, and was gonna look for it, but I think we both just forgot about it. I think he said it had been removed from the site for some reason. Should ask him about it again.

Johnny16Bit

Camel Slug
If you read French or can stand the awful google translation, I had done a series of blog articles on DD Neo a few years back:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
abobo-double-dragon-neogeo-victory.gif

I love/hate that they kept the weirdest thing about the Double Dragon movie in the game. I haven't watched the movie since 1995 but that imagery apparently was burnt into my mind.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Which magazine said "FMV on the Neo Geo! Kill yourself!!!" on a review of Double Dragon again? EGM?

Johnny16Bit

Camel Slug
The game was often panned as unworthy of the franchise (that had kept going downhill since the first game anyway).... Had they had a crystal ball, they certainly would have cut Technos some slack over this one...

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The game was often panned as unworthy of the franchise (that had kept going downhill since the first game anyway).... Had they had a crystal ball, they certainly would have cut Technos some slack over this one...
Unfortunate fact that quite a few great devs from the 8-bit era just couldn't make the leap to 16-bit.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Unfortunate fact that quite a few great devs from the 8-bit era just couldn't make the leap to 16-bit.

And 16 bit into 32/64 or they just kept making games for their mvs system or arcade hardware.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member

Still not sold on the art style
Yeah, the gameplay looks solid and in line with better new beat em ups like River City Girls and Shredder's Revenge but that art is just bad.

Honestly they should have just made an original cutsie beat em up and left the Double Dragon name off it.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Yeah, the gameplay looks solid and in line with better new beat em ups like River City Girls and Shredder's Revenge but that art is just bad.

Honestly they should have just made an original cutsie beat em up and left the Double Dragon name off it.
But then it wouldn't get any real attention.
So long as the game is fun, and they don't charge $40 for it, I'll give it a go.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Picked this up on steam and completed 3 playthroughs so far (max difficulty+permadeath option). The art style is off-putting for sure and just doesn’t fit the series grittiness and gang-ridden setting like the mainline entries it is paying homage to. The music remixes are fine though. With that aside, the core combat of the series has been reduced to a 1-button beat em up like Final Fight/SoR with the addition of super moves (managed with meter similar to FF3/SoR3), and character tagging.

Movement feels slowly and clunky at first, but many would say that about most entries in the DD series. Normal attacks can be jump/dash cancelled, but the rogue-lite style powerup choices between stages doesn’t add a ton of depth in my humble opinion.

You can choose stage order which dynamically increases the difficulty of the remaining stages. However, the game campaign is still surprisingly easy, though you can adjust difficulty option sliders before starting a run to scale the difficulty up or down to your preference. Marian is busted by design and once you unlock the bosses as playable characters, what challenge there is, goes out the window (constantly being rewarded with health every time you kill 3+ enemies with your aoe supers makes things even easier).

It’s a polarizing game for sure, yet I’ve been enjoying my playthroughs since the game doesn’t really overstay it’s welcome.

Double Dragon is an uneven series as it is, with my favorite entry being Double Dragon Advance (which just got announced for rerelease on modern consoles and pc). Combat-wise, this game is nowhere near the high points of the series, yet I wouldn’t place it anywhere near the bottom with DDV either. It’s a fun game, just be sure to try it out on sale/via steam to see if you hate the core combat or not.

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member

Super DD and DD Advance are being ported to Steam / modern consoles. Going by their previous ports, there is a high chance an English version of RotDD will be included. Hopefully a speed-up option and online play will be there too, along with 2 players mode in DD Advance.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Sounds like I'll wait for it to go on sale then.
Double Dragon Advance coming to PS4 however... B=====D💦💦💦💦💦

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Double Dragon is an uneven series as it is, with my favorite entry being Double Dragon Advance

When Neon was released my first thought was "This is a decent game, but it doesn't feel like Double Dragon." The more I played it I started thinking about that statement, and it dawned on me that the DD series really doesn't have a "feel" that you can point to and relies more on aesthetics to tie them together. Every single entry plays totally different to the others, and even the two most popular entries (GBA & SNES) really don't play similar to each other.

I don't know where they were going with this one. Both mechanically and visually it's very unlike the others, which loses the majority of the appeal to me.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I don't know where they were going with this one. Both mechanically and visually it's very unlike the others, which loses the majority of the appeal to me.

The developer pitched it to ASW, and kept working on it for years until they gave him the green light:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
The more I played it I started thinking about that statement, and it dawned on me that the DD series really doesn't have a "feel" that you can point to and relies more on aesthetics to tie them together. Every single entry plays totally different to the others, and even the two most popular entries (GBA & SNES) really don't play similar to each other.

That makes sense; though each mainline Double Dragon game does put a unique spin on the formula, having more attack options via separate/additional punch and kick combinations with additional moves for instant knockdown or crowd control is usually what separates the DD games from 1-button combo beat em ups like Final Fight and Streets of Rage. This doesn’t mean that FF & SoR lack depth, rather the core combat in DD usually offers additional control over your character making the core combat just a little more complex or even obtuse in many DD entries.

In my humble opinion, the better entries in the DD series leaned on this key difference and expanded on the already robust moveset (for the era) of the original arcade game via complex counter/blocking systems, along with expanded ground, grappling, juggling and wall attacks. DD games like Super Double Dragon and Double Dragon Advance are not perfect in their execution (both games were more or less unfinished), but they tend to allow for increased combat improvisation and options compared to their 1-button beat em up cousins for better or worse.

The larger/more complex attack movesets seem to be the core dna that runs throughout most of the series that DD Gaiden lacks, which makes its combat feel a bit shallow compared to the others.

The developer pitched it to ASW, and kept working on it for years until they gave him the green light:

Thanks for sharing this. The game has glaring and divisive flaws, but their passion for the IP definitely comes across in much of the game’s presentation. Not to mention the dev’s love for SNK and Capcom judging by all the homage animation frames from titles like Last Blade and Street Fighter included in this game.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Interesting..

Spoiler:

YTAfDRr.jpg

xgQgvU5.jpg

Njsl4SZ.jpg