CRT Fetish Thread

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I haven't posted on this forum in years, but I saw this thread and had to chime in. Here's my PVM collection:

20130807_194016_zpsc5b97857.jpg

PVM-14M2U x15
PVM-14M4U x2
PVM-14N2U x6
PVM-8042Q
PVM-8044Q
PVM-20L2MD
PVM-2950Q
BVM-20F1U

I also have another 8042 and a PVM-1350 not pictured.

persona_4_tv_by_xxxjollyjokerxxx-d4qw4x5.png

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
I haven't posted on this forum in years, but I saw this thread and had to chime in. Here's my PVM collection:

20130807_194016_zpsc5b97857.jpg

PVM-14M2U x15
PVM-14M4U x2
PVM-14N2U x6
PVM-8042Q
PVM-8044Q
PVM-20L2MD
PVM-2950Q
BVM-20F1U

I also have another 8042 and a PVM-1350 not pictured.

Lol, thats crazy...
Last time we talked you said you were trying to trim the collection down some.

andy251203

Hardened Shock Trooper
I still am. I just sold off my beatmania cab and I don't collect fixer upper cabs anymore. Hell, I haven't bought a cab in ages, except for a Race Drivin' earlier this year. Just had to save all of these PVMs from getting junked. I actually had six more but I've sold them off to friends for retro gaming goodness.

tomlee80

Kabuki Klasher
I remember that letter! God only knows why but i do remember it. Super play was the shit back in the day. Their tech advice was shithouse though, go back and flick through some early issues and the advice they gave was laughable.

You remember my letter? Insane! Super Play was the ultimate Super Nintendo resource for the UK. It introduced me to Secret Of Mana and Final Fantasy 3 years before they were released or not released in europe. It also made me realise that only a NTSC 60hz famicon/snes will do especially through RGB SCART and this was in 93!

EDIT: Regarding their tech advice being shit - it probably was. I saved every issue when I was younger but theyve been trashed since I've had to downsize a lot of my junk. However they were one of the few independent magazines that provided import reviews and talked about the differnce between 60hz and 50hz - borders and all. Much better than the official competitor.

Last edited:

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
You remember my letter? Insane! Super Play was the ultimate Super Nintendo resource for the UK. It introduced me to Secret Of Mana and Final Fantasy 3 years before they were released or not released in europe. It also made me realise that only a NTSC 60hz famicon/snes will do especially through RGB SCART and this was in 93!

True. After reading Super Play - I had to get an NTSC SNES. Can't believe the difference in picture through RGB compared to composite :buttrock:

Halfabag

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Not to derail the thread, but is superplay still worth a look now?........ From a nostalgia perspective

tomlee80

Kabuki Klasher
Not to derail the thread, but is superplay still worth a look now?........ From a nostalgia perspective

Yes. They went against the grain and used anime inspired covers (drawn by Wil Overton) reflecting the games in that particular issue. Completely differnt from the stock art used by competitors. From memory I think it was the last physical gaming magazine that was a labour of love from it's creators. Edge was souless in comparison!

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member

Definitely. I had quite a few from back in the day and bought a ton more off ebay a few years back.

It was always Super Play and EGM for me :D

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member

I started the thread so I can derail it if I want. :D Super play is still worth a look for sure. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who wasn't into SNES at the time as you kind of miss the perspective it was coming from but worth a look for sure. For me it is the best video game mag ever.

I still have a big dirty pile of them sitting on a shelf in my man child cave.

20120619_170223.jpg

Last edited:

city41

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
10 Year Member
Second PVM just arrived. Still need to adjust the pic just right.

BQ5kBSP.jpg

I don't have any vertical games yet, but two are on the way.

and if you ever need a PVM off ebay, therightstuff619 packaged this thing excellently. Double boxed with 2 inches of styrofoam between the boxes and tons of bubblewrap. I was pleased.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Nice monitors you got there, you're probably going to want to rotate it the opposite way though. All the Saturn, PS2 and most JAMMA PCBs default that way and only some have the option to flip the screen.

city41

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
10 Year Member
Nice monitors you got there, you're probably going to want to rotate it the opposite way though.

Thanks, I thought that might be the case. I haven't owned a vertical game in many years.

PGorath

New Challenger
I recently picked up an atari 2600 modded with composite a/v outs. I hooked it up to my sony pvm and I'm not sure what to make of the image quality...it doesn't seem that good. The biggest problem is that I can see a very faint fuzzy bar rolling up the screen.

I have a bunch of other classic systems (nes - present) hooked up to this monitor in a variety of ways (rgb, s-video, composite etc) and don't have this problem. I haven't owned an atari in decades though so I don't know what's normal or what I should expect. I'm wondering if the mod was done poorly? I tried different games and different a/v cables.

Also in general it's annoying as hell to have to adjust the screen size when switching between every single system, and many times even between games of a single system. It doesn't seem normal that I have to do this.

PGorath

New Challenger
well the atari problem seems to be a faulty power supply maybe.

also i was messing around with the settings last night and I completely f-ed up my pvm and now I can't get it back to normal. see the attached pics...basically I'm getting a scrambled picture from my game consoles, regardless of what input I am using. The menu shows up fine so it's not the tube. Anyone know what I did or how to fix?photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
Check your sync settings.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
there are a plethora of sync settings. i'ved played around with them but haven't found the cure.

Looks like it's not even getting sync. Check the main RGB cable to the PVM if it's standardized.

PGorath

New Challenger
Looks like it's not even getting sync. Check the main RGB cable to the PVM if it's standardized.
it's doing the same thing whether I'm using the rgb/component input or either of the composite inputs (ie 3 different systems, 3 different a/v cables going into 3 different inputs)

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
it's doing the same thing whether I'm using the rgb/component input or either of the composite inputs (ie 3 different systems, 3 different a/v cables going into 3 different inputs)

You said you f'ed it up while playing with the settings. Did you try resetting the factory defaults on the PVM?

PGorath

New Challenger
You said you f'ed it up while playing with the settings. Did you try resetting the factory defaults on the PVM?
No, couldn't figure out how or find it in the manual.

I'm *assuming* I f'ed it up while playing with the settings, as it was late and I was tired and messing with the settings, then a few minutes later it went like that - I don't remember actually hitting a button and then all of a sudden it crapped out.