CRT Fetish Thread

PGorath

New Challenger
definitely not getting sync at all...composite, rgb, s-video are all doing the same thing. what could be causing all of them to lose sync like this?

RetroSwim

n00b
Something that's been bothering me about my PVM, is that nearly every console's picture is at a slightly different left-to-right position. So sometimes the picture is in the middle, but sometimes there's a narrow black bar on the left or right hand side...

Has anyone else had this before? Is there some small box of analogue magic that can correct this?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Something that's been bothering me about my PVM, is that nearly every console's picture is at a slightly different left-to-right position. So sometimes the picture is in the middle, but sometimes there's a narrow black bar on the left or right hand side...

Has anyone else had this before? Is there some small box of analogue magic that can correct this?

Nothing magic. I usually overscan my PVM's just a little bit (i.e. lose a little bit of the picture off the edges) to compensate for this. Most games a little bit of overscan won't bother most people.

Crammed a PVM1943 MD 20" into my cab in place of the old wells gardener 19". I'm happy with it; about a 10 year jump in technology and higher quality all around.

driftout.jpg

View image and zoom for scanline goodness.

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
My friends, watch and cry:

Tailor made arcade monitor chassis (by EletroCyan do Brasil) for the 38 inches flat screen Sony CRT with Tim Worthington's scart to jamma video amplifier adapter.

I'm doing my final tweaks on this beast for the true RGB with absolute no digital process.
I still have to work on the convergence rings on the back because the monitor works very different than the TV original system.

D3ZPJo3l.jpg

dpaoYNTl.jpg

While every "expert" said it would be impossible to use an arcade monitor on a Sony CRT, here's the proof.
I'll post more pictures when I have the image perfect.

PGorath

New Challenger
well couldn't fix it so I guess it's going on the scrap heap.

picked up a commodore 1702 for my atari, will try to pick up a new pvm tomorrow that popped up on craigslist today

anyone know where I can buy a keene scart commander with a U.S. power supply plug?

PGorath

New Challenger

Which model do you have?

I've been wondering if maybe this doesn't happen (or happen as much) on the newer models like the PVM-20L5 or BVM-20F1U?

I've been looking at both of models to choose one to replace my 1954Q. The 20F1U seems to be the best choice picture quality-wise, but I'm concerned about the inputs - you're going to have to shell out more money for expansion ports just to get composite? And is s-video even a possibility?

Last edited:

2050-Z

New Challenger
I'm looking for a rolling cart for my PVM 14". Anyone have any ideas?

Something minimal that can be rolled off to the side or into a closet when not in use. I'd really like something with a single "pipe" coming up the back, to which the monitor and a shelf for a system are cantilevered. Hopefully not a "school A/V cart" looking stand.

PVMs were regularly used in hospitals and TV studios, so I'm hoping to find something cool and industrial looking from the time period.

Something like this: (unfortunately don't know the make/model)
5abAUU7.jpg

This Tektronix company makes some interesting ones, but perhaps a little more "plastic" than I'm looking for:
https://www.google.com/search?q=tek...hl=en&q=tektronix+cart&safe=off&tbm=isch&um=1

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Which model do you have?

I've been wondering if maybe this doesn't happen (or happen as much) on the newer models like the PVM-20L5 or BVM-20F1U?

I've been looking at both of models to choose one to replace my 1954Q. The 20F1U seems to be the best choice picture quality-wise, but I'm concerned about the inputs - you're going to have to shell out more money for expansion ports just to get composite? And is s-video even a possibility?
There are pots to adjust the video on the side when you take the cover off. Not much use in going crazy with adjusting them though because it's always a little off with different systems. That's why a lot of us like the newer PVMs because you can adjust the image from the menu.

PGorath

New Challenger
There are pots to adjust the video on the side when you take the cover off. Not much use in going crazy with adjusting them though because it's always a little off with different systems. That's why a lot of us like the newer PVMs because you can adjust the image from the menu.
I'm not sure I get you. You adjust the image from the menu of the 1954Q as well. What I've run into and what this guy has run into is that it's not just a little off when switching between systems, it's generally a lot off. In my case, it's even off when switching between games on *the same* system. Is your newer PVM one of the two I mentioned?

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
I'm not sure I get you. You adjust the image from the menu of the 1954Q as well. What I've run into and what this guy has run into is that it's not just a little off when switching between systems, it's generally a lot off. In my case, it's even off when switching between games on *the same* system. Is your newer PVM one of the two I mentioned?

Oh sorry I meant to quote RetroSwim. All my PVMs though have to be adjusted by the pots and there isn't an on screen menu to adjust the image size and pin cushion. My NEC XM though I can adjust everything from the on screen menu with the remote. I have to adjust it with almost all my games I play though.

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
I've promised pictures and here they are:

mtk9KD3l.jpg

Q40mjQxl.jpg

r3MnnSil.jpg

iPL9gqal.jpg

By889Acl.jpg

This is my modded Sony 38 inches flat screen with a tailor made arcade monitor attached.

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
Great pick up mate, don't see those here in Australia much.

Picked up a PVM 14L5 and I've got a 20L5 coming early next week. The picture on this thing is perfect. Been through around 10 CRTs over the last year, definitely done now. This thing is fucking amazing.

phonedork

n00b
The 20l5 is awesome!!! It took me a bit long to set it up the way I like. The NEC was much easier

cyb

n00b
Juding from the specs alone they look to be very nice monitors on par with high end sony BVMs of the era. nice score!

Has anyone had any experience with these monitors from Ikegami?

http://www.ikegami.com/br/products/hdtv/pdf/htm_series.pdf

I got two for free and think they are pretty nice--though I don't have much high-quality CRT experience, and not much to compare them in terms of picture quality....except to one PVM of the same size.

PGorath

New Challenger
fixed my screen problem but now I'm not getting any picture via rgb...i have a scart to bnc cable and none of the systems are showing up through it. assuming it's some setting somewhere i messed up...

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
30 dollars!!!

I was lucky when I got this awesome NEC Multisync XM29 Plus!! 29 inch super RGB monitor

Congrats on getting a "god tier" crt monitor :D
I love mine so much. Hopefully you go the remote but if you didn't you need model RD-346E which is easy to find on ebay.

phonedork

n00b
Congrats on getting a "god tier" crt monitor :D
I love mine so much. Hopefully you go the remote but if you didn't you need model RD-346E which is easy to find on ebay.

Thanks man!! It really is awesome!!! I believe it hands down at 29 inches takes down the 20 in sony PVM in color and sharpness!! I cant believe it! I would have never thought a 29 inche would out perform a 20 inch...