CRT Fetish Thread

city41

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I would rotate one, however it would look funky. These monitors are hard enough as is to try and make them look nice in your home.

Why would rotating one look funky? Curious because that is what I will be doing once my second monitor arrives.

phonedork

n00b
Why would rotating one look funky? Curious because that is what I will be doing once my second monitor arrives.

LOL! Its just preference. If you like it then its all good. I just like how I have it setup with the stereo on top of both monitors.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
NES games weren't designed to run on an RGB monitor (So you can get funny colors in games like SMB3). Or at least the colors are a lot different to what you get with composite. The games were made so that the poor quality composite would hide some of their flaws/ graphical effects. It's the same with other systems of that era like the Genesis. So, whether it's better to use RGB ("best" picture) or composite (the video output the designers intended) for the NES is arguable.

Super Mario 3 RGB Sony PVM 20L5

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
NES games weren't designed to run on an RGB monitor (So you can get funny colors in games like SMB3). Or at least the colors are a lot different to what you get with composite. The games were made so that the poor quality composite would hide some of their flaws/ graphical effects. It's the same with other systems of that era like the Genesis. So, whether it's better to use RGB ("best" picture) or composite (the video output the designers intended) for the NES is arguable.

Nes games weren't meant to run on an RGB monitor? Yea and the Genesis was programmed with RF out in mind. I know for a fact that 16-bit systems were designed ON RGB MONITORS. Dude you really should play a Nintendo Red Tent or a Playchoice machine. Same game as the home version. I hate when people say "oh it's supposed to look like ass, that's how the programmers intended it..." I'm not one for killing a Playchoice system for it's PPU, but you really should think about what you say before saying it.

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Of course all the 8-bit and 16-bit games were designed on RGB monitors. But the designers might have also checked what they looked like in composite. Because most Americans in those days used either RF, composite or maybe s-video ( I don't know when s-video become popular in the US). The Neo Geo was optimized for composite (towards the ends of it's product life), because that was the best that most Americans had.

Check this link- you'll see some of the NES games (like SMB3) have unusual colors when RGB is used (definitely the composite screenshots look like the intended colors):

http://retrorgb.com/nespics.html

NESRGBCompare01 - large.jpg

NESRGBCompare02 - large.jpg

NESRGBCompare08.jpg

NESRGBCompare13.jpg

NESRGBCompare14 - large.jpg

Here is another link (Genesis graphical effects like dithering):

http://www.chrismcovell.com/gotRGB/screenshots.html

Nes games weren't meant to run on an RGB monitor? Yea and the Genesis was programmed with RF out in mind. I know for a fact that 16-bit systems were designed ON RGB MONITORS. Dude you really should play a Nintendo Red Tent or a Playchoice machine. Same game as the home version. I hate when people say "oh it's supposed to look like ass, that's how the programmers intended it..." I'm not one for killing a Playchoice system for it's PPU, but you really should think about what you say before saying it.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Japanese programmers never took into account what Americans were playing their games on. Interlaced output was used to help display fake transparencies , and I understand what you're trying to say. But the colors that you are showing comparisons on are what the nes is supposed to look like. If you notice that the colors are the same. The Contra pic for instance on the right looks just like that on my PVM using composite. Now RGB nes output uses odd colors due to the color choice of the PPU. It's why Super Mario Bros looks different on NES RGB versus the Playchoice 10 version.

phonedork

n00b
The colors are hard to capture correctly with a camera and I am a photographer. White balance here is correct. But I cannot capture the colors still with my Nikon D800. I was trying to adjust the RAW pics while looking at the actual monitor and still had a hard time. I can say that it looks great on my side using my eyes. But if you look at the characters up close you can see each scanline with no bleed. It does destroy composite. But I will admit you can tell games like faxanadu were made with composite in mind. The faces of the characters are just smudges with skin tone colors.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member

This console says otherwise:

famicom-titler02.jpg

http://www.chrismcovell.com/gotRGB/fctitler.html

city41

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I'd argue all of the RGB NES examples look (much) better than the composite ones. None of them feel "wrong". If anything, it seems to me like RGB finally lets us see the NES as it should have been.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
The color difference is not because its RGB vs Composite. The RGB PPU itself uses a different color palette, it has nothing to do with RGB, composite, RF S-Video, Phonedorks mom or the monitor its being played with. Nintendo simply changed the pallet in the Playchoice 10/nintendo vs PPU's. Personally I think the palette looks much better. Overall the colors are brighter and more vivid, it looks heaps better than the composhit PPU even if you down convert the RGB to composite. The colors are not odd or unusual, they are simply different. Its just the brighter palette Nintendo chose for use in their Arcade cabinets and titler systems. The colors are what they would be on a playchoice 10/VS or Famicom Titler (that name still makes me laugh). Personally I will never go back to playing a stock Famicom, the RGB mod looks too good to go back to one. As for graphical flaws that was not the case with the NES (Was true with the Genesis) but is not the case with the RGB NES. Its simply a much sharper and more colorful way to play NES games. Personally I feel the composite PPU has a drab and bland pallet.

On a side note I RGB modded another AV Famicom last night and it is like sex for my eyeballs, thats how clear and awesome it is compared to composite.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I will also say that RGB vs Composite is moot simply because with composite all three colors are being crushed into one cable, RGB obviously separates the three. Also on my PVM composite still looks very good and I have no noise in the pic as well. I've played NES on my rombox and although I like the look of it I guess it's more nostalgic for me using the AV for that soft look... Just sayin.

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
I have an RGB-modded 101, and the only thing that sucks is that some games use the grey and light grey in the lower right of the NTSC palette below, which makes them black when using RGB. The only game that that I own that this affects badly is Paperboy, which I have to use my unmodded NES to play. I own 60 of the most popular NES titles, and no other has issues, including Castlevania (level 2 slightly pink, who cares?). There are about a dozen other affected games besides Paperboy, but they're not popular titles, and most suck.

Fami_Comp_RGB_Difference.jpg

Other than that, the RGB mod is the best thing to ever happen to NES/FC.

noCLip

Camel Slug
A flea market has a Sony Trinitron kv-20fs12 for $20. Manufactured in Oct 2001. Worth getting for $20?

andy251203

Hardened Shock Trooper
I haven't posted on this forum in years, but I saw this thread and had to chime in. Here's my PVM collection:

20130807_194016_zpsc5b97857.jpg

PVM-14M2U x15
PVM-14M4U x2
PVM-14N2U x6
PVM-8042Q
PVM-8044Q
PVM-20L2MD
PVM-2950Q
BVM-20F1U

I also have another 8042 and a PVM-1350 not pictured.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I ended up buying it. Pretty happy with the picture quality. I think 20" is perfect for retro gaming glory!

Yea sitting about a foot away 20 inches are the sweet spot. Nice scan lines and good color saturation.

masamuneGTO

My Bro Aint HeavyHe's just not Wortha Christmas pr
I haven't posted on this forum in years, but I saw this thread and had to chime in. Here's my PVM collection:

PVM-14M2U x15
PVM-14M4U x2
PVM-14N2U x6
PVM-8042Q
PVM-8044Q
PVM-20L2MD
PVM-2950Q
BVM-20F1U

JESUS!!!!

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member

PVM-14M2U x15
PVM-14M4U x2
PVM-14N2U x6
PVM-8042Q
PVM-8044Q
PVM-20L2MD
PVM-2950Q
BVM-20F1U

Andy, holy crap it's been a while. How have you been? I still miss that little barcade you sold me with the 60 in 1 board. Any chance on parting with one of those 20" PVMs?:)

andy251203

Hardened Shock Trooper
Sure, I'd sell em, but locally only. No way I'm shipping any of these.

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy

PVM-14M2U x15
PVM-14M4U x2
PVM-14N2U x6
PVM-8042Q
PVM-8044Q
PVM-20L2MD
PVM-2950Q
BVM-20F1U

I say we crown this guy PVM king

Skips

Belnar Institute Student

PVM-14M2U x15
PVM-14M4U x2
PVM-14N2U x6
PVM-8042Q
PVM-8044Q
PVM-20L2MD
PVM-2950Q
BVM-20F1U

Now you have to post a picture of them all running at the same time.

Ghandi

4" Chinaman Slave, ,
dang you guys are crt connoisseurs. All I have is a little 13 inch sony crt i still play my genesis on. it looks sooooo sexy, just doesnt feel right playing it on an LCD/LED