CRT Fetish Thread

I've found a Sony PVM-2030 monitor on Craigslist for $20 and the guy is holding it for me until Monday. He bought it new back in 1988, but recently it won't display a picture. The sound (he has speakers plugged in) still works, but there is no picture on the screen.

What could be the cause? Someone on KLOV suggested that it could be the flyback(s), but I've had no luck finding a replacement flyback for this set. Any ideas?

I recently fixed a WG 13" monitor, so I've got a little bit of experience in repairing things, but unlike those monitors, I can't really find any information on repairing these sets.
Edit/Delete Message

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
It was about time to join the PVM club but I didn't want to go small and it took me a few years to find the 29 inches model!!

Here it is:

N1fdePNl.jpg

EDIT: By the way, does someone know if a universal remote control might work with it?

I've noticed the IR sensor on it.

Last edited:

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
Anyone in the UK know where I could find a nice CRT? All I can find online are broadcast monitors that are like 200GBP+. Getting envious of people's $30 deals!

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
Anyone in the UK know where I could find a nice CRT? All I can find online are broadcast monitors that are like 200GBP+. Getting envious of people's $30 deals!

Car boot sales / second hand shops / craigslist

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
It was about time to join the PVM club but I didn't want to go small and it took me a few years to find the 29 inches model!!

Here it is:

N1fdePNl.jpg

EDIT: By the way, does someone know if a universal remote control might work with it?

I've noticed the IR sensor on it.
yes i had a cable box hooked up to a pvm 2530 just like that and it used the same sony code as any sony tv to do the volume and power. if you want to go original look for a rm-739 or rm-u72 remote

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
yes i had a cable box hooked up to a pvm 2530 just like that and it used the same sony code as any sony tv to do the volume and power. if you want to go original look for a rm-739 or rm-u72 remote

Hey thanks dude :)

Do you know if it can cycle through it's sources?

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Hey thanks dude :)

Do you know if it can cycle through it's sources?
You cant change sources with a uni sony remote or other uni remotes but you can with the monitor remote
2qbk.jpg
rm-739 on left, rm-u72 on right the u72 was for the optional tuner but also does inputs

Last edited:

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Figured this would be the best place to ask.

Does anyone know how to get an american PS2 to play DVDs in RGB? I'm playing PS2 games on my PVM through RGB with broken's euro scart to rgb cord no problem by choosing the "rgb" option in the PS2's bios, but when I put in any DVD the screen always turns a shade of green, like it's trying to resync or something.

I have an official PS2 DVD remote if that helps.

Last edited:

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
Figured this would be the best place to ask.

Does anyone know how to get an american PS2 to play DVDs in RGB? I'm playing PS2 games on my PVM through RGB with broken's euro scart to rgb cord no problem by choosing the "rgb" option in the PS2's bios, but when I put in any DVD the screen always turns a shade of green, like it's trying to resync or something.

I have an official PS2 DVD remote if that helps.

You need to use DVD Region X software + hardware. It's a DVD + dongle thing that makes DVD playback fully working with RGB.

This is the only solution I know of.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Awesome pics in here!
Man I've been looking on CL for months for a PVM 20" and they never, ever pop up. One day, one magical day.
I do have a larger curved wells monitor in an old MK2 cab in my basement but I'm too scared to even F with it let alone pull it out and use it!

city41

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Today my 20M2U bit the dust. It turns on and then immediately goes into "tally button orange" mode. Googling suggests it could be all kinds of problems, and most people recommended taking it to a shop for repairs. The shops around here are charging $125 minimum to even look at a CRT. So Instead I just bought a 1944Q off Craigslist for $75.

The 1944Q is not as nice as the 20MXU's. There doesn't appear to be any kind of service menu to adjust geometry (please correct me if I'm wrong!), the push buttons for adjusting brightness/contrast/etc are not as nice as the dials, the rgb/component switch is on the back, and the picture quality isn't quite as good. But, still, it's a PVM and is still overall a very nice monitor.

city41

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
City,

That's not the CRT you picked up from me, is it?

Nope, the one I got from you is still rocking hard and is the best of the three PVMs I've now owned. Love this thing :)

I had grabbed a second PVM for vertical games, and that's the one that died.

Just curious,

Does playing in tate put additional wear/harm to PVMs?

I'm asking because I have two 1943MDs and was thinking about leaving one for vert shooters.

Thanks!

---Quack.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
I love the that PVMs exist. Discovery RGB was kind of a big deal and the community managed to find a way to make our old games look even better! :)

I rock a plain 27" Trinitron myself:

(sorry for the lousy photo)

I inherited the TV when my wife moved in. I already had RGB cables for some of my systems as I was previously playing my classic consoles on my HDTV with an XRGB-2+. Looking at all these beautiful photos does make me want to go troll craigslist for a 29" PVM...

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Just curious,

Does playing in tate put additional wear/harm to PVMs?

I'm asking because I have two 1943MDs and was thinking about leaving one for vert shooters.

Thanks!

---Quack.

Not that I've heard of. I leave a 1943MD in tate myself, and I've left a couple consumer CRT TV's that way for years at a time. Just leave it unplugged for a few minutes before/after rotation, and degauss it when you turn it back on.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
I'm quite jealous of you Americans finding PVMs so easily. I recently bought a BVM-1415P for $35 AUD and paid another $65 AUD for delivery from the other side of the country because I could not find any locally. My BVM also has 4 horizontal white lines near the top of the screen but I haven't got around to recapping the board yet.

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
I love the that PVMs exist. Discovery RGB was kind of a big deal and the community managed to find a way to make our old games look even better! :)

I rock a plain 27" Trinitron myself

HA. I use the same TV for some of my stuff, got it at a goodwill for $5, nice picture, pretty damned close to PVM quality