Collect, sell, regret, start over "the cycle"

Some of you sound like fucking vegans, I gave up this, I gave that and act like you're right. You're not right, it's your opinion. Stop telling people what they should do and fuck off.
I missed this post.

I agree with you 100%. Im not even telling HMG what to do or that Im any better. Simply that I think the vast majority of intelligent adults will eventually grow past it. No matter how obsessed they were at one time. Their opinion of that part of life will change. My best friends have rooms full of the things mentioned. They will tell you ive never once put them down or tried to change their minds on their stuff. I think its more interesting to just see how it naturally develops from the outside.

Terry was also very correct in that there is a large segment of humans who simply wont grow past it or rationalize their way out of it for whatever reason, an ocd thing that comforts them, whatever the reason.

But to get truly butthurt offended when I poke fun of your 30 year old tv. Man that points to issues. To build your personality and self worth around this ancient shrine of a tv set and a room full of stuff. Yeah.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've always wondered if people who still have their childhood games, just got new games, systems, toys, etc whenever they wanted? Because when I was a kid if I wanted a new game, my options were either wait until Christmas / Birthday or sell the old stuff. I feel like this strategy gets ingrained in a lot of us until we reach a certain level of disposable income.
I still have most of my childhood games, but my parents were poor so I usually only got a single game for Christmas or my birthday as well. There just weren't that many games. Starting around 10 years old I did start mowing lawns to make money to buy my own games, but most of my shit I got as an adult from when I was about 18-25 or so. I only ever really traded in stuff that wasn't very good.

Looking at what I have now, very little of it has any sentimental value to me other than the stuff I had as a kid. A few 8 bit and 16 bit games, my original Gameboy and the SNES my parents gave me for Christmas. Nothing else really matters, as long as I can play what I want.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Like anything it's a matter of knowing that line where what you own - owns you. Being an adult about games is possible, just get what you like and do it in moderation. For me personally, having the games I like in a physically tangible state forces me to sit down and play them , and play through them more - same with listening to records/music. Having the ability to load shit on the fly, savestates etc - leads me to get ADD about it all and that's where gaming becomes droll.
If collecting and becoming a professional idolater is your identity though - that's just sad as hell, especially if you didn't grow up with the shit.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Some of you sound like fucking vegans, I gave up this, I gave that and act like you're right. You're not right, it's your opinion. Stop telling people what they should do and fuck off.
Yeah but the initial post is asking for advice about how to deal with a specific problem that a lot of people here have dealt with. He was specifically asking how to break the cycle of compulsively collecting and re-collecting the same shit over and over. The answer is to stop or at least severely change what you're doing and really look at why you're doing it in the first place. I mean shit if you're re-buying the same Master System game for the 4th time there's obviously something wrong.

Of course the thread got off topic a bit and condescending, as we tend to do here but there is still a lot of good advice. As with most things in life the truth is somewhere in the middle of all the nonsense.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
Most everything is in boxes in my mom’s basement now only because I can’t be bothered to sell it off. I don’t even want that shit in my house anymore.
So you burden your mom with it . Noice! Just take it all to a retrogame store. You will get more cash than you probably imagined.
Or better yet ship it all to me!

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
This is the only guy in the thread that makes sense. Stop trying to force onto other people what you think.
I care about retrogames. It is the only type of game I still play. I’m currently selling of everything that is “modern” because I simply don’t play that stuff, a few classics (Outrun2 for example) can stay. I enjoy some snes or Sega over anything modern. A lot of it I bought just because it was cheap or because it seems kinda cool. But rarely do I get past the tutorial. All these modern 3D action games seem utterly pointless to me. I also hate all the collecting and trophies in modern gaming. It brakes the game that you get a silly pop up every time you “achieve” something. It’s just sad.
Also my favourite genres fighting and shmups have horrible music since the PS2 era. All that bland jpop crap makes me want to vomit.
This is my opinion and I don’t try the force it on anyone nor do I disapprove if you got rid of it . Just do whatever works for you.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Real talk collecting physical goods of any kind is low key cringe. What you own owns you. I’m somewhat envious of those digital nomad types who basically have nothing but a laptop and the total freedom to move around wherever and whenever.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
Real talk collecting physical goods of any kind is low key cringe. What you own owns you. I’m somewhat envious of those digital nomad types who basically have nothing but a laptop and the total freedom to move around wherever and whenever.
Not really because they collect likes on their travel photos. They get their endorphins from that.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
You obviously don't know how online works. The noisiest shout everyone else down until an apparent consensus emerges. From then on any dissenters are treated like the filthy canceled that they are... until 5-10 years later when their minority opinion becomes the mainstream. It's all part of nature's, you know, um, cycle.

This is how rot stayed in power for so long. He was unquestionably awesome until one day the winds changed and he suddenly wasn't anymore.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Basically "sic transeat gloria mundi", huh?

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Figure out what you like and just stick with it. I know where OP is coming from, and sometimes it’s hard to give up stuff you’ve had for so long- but man just trim down to what you like and keep it. I’m offloading a lot of console stuff I haven’t played in years, and it’s liberating. Also, getting the space back is great.

It’s all about breaking the cycle and finding that sweet spot.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member

I know some of those people. Believe me, they have their own problems.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
I know some of those people. Believe me, they have their own problems.
Like what? Finding temporary housing and accommodations wherever you go seems like it would be the hardest part now. Before covid, I would've thought it was the having a job part but with remote work you can hold down even good salaried jobs from anywhere if you're in the right business

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Like what?
That type of lifestyle tends to attract some really unreliable and flaky people. They talk about freedom and travel and all that but that's often just code for "I'm a total fuck up and have to move so often because I can't handle a regular life and consequences". They're essentially constantly on the run from one thing or another but spin it as some sort of minimalist lifestyle choice.

Obviously that doesn't apply to everyone who lives that way but I've met just as many like above as I have zen reliable people who do it for the right reasons and live healthy fulfilling lives.