Captain Barrel, new Neo Geo game

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
You can tell these guys are having fun, because the releases just keep coming!

The graphics definitely lend it a modern indie game sort of vibe that looks professional.

Bennett

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
I just put in my pre-order for the CE homecart version. 499 Euros.

Johnny16Bit

Mickey's Coach
giphy.gif

mkay, well thanks for the feedback anyway ;)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
No CD again, boo, hiss, etc.

EDIT: Looks neat, love the silly face of the pirate and the Mr Krabs sprites.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
NEO•GEO CD would be the obvious answer to getting it on the system without the cost.
Yup, and it's not that a game like Captain Barrel would break the limits of the NGCD, doesn't look very meg-heavy to me.

Johnny16Bit

Mickey's Coach
Yeah, well, okay, but not $500 okay I guess.

Heh - you say that like it really were the price to pay to play it.
Like CF, the game will be readily available and everyone will pay what they want for it; it will be offered in plenty of cheap, small margin formats that don't even sell and are immediately warezed.
Still, we may go the extra mile and offer a Neo Geo CD version, yes; we still need to make a buck before we commit to it though!

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Heh - you say that like it really were the price to pay to play it.
Like CF, the game will be readily available and everyone will pay what they want for it; it will be offered in plenty of cheap, small margin formats that don't even sell and are immediately warezed.
Still, we may go the extra mile and offer a Neo Geo CD version, yes; we still need to make a buck before we commit to it though!
Just a number, may be 500, 600, 700, doesn't really matter to me as I won't buy the homecart anyway. However, if there's a NGCD version available down the line, count me in.

It's not that I would categorically refuse to spend loadsamoney for home/pro-brew games on homecart but it would take a bit more effort on the side of the developers to make me open my wallet. Captain Barrel looks really nice and all, just as I said not several-hundred-bucks nice. Give me a really flashy new beat 'em up with six individual characters, great graphics, punchy music and sound and a good dose of that extra mile Neo Geo trickery like scaling and whatnot, or a great vertical shmup, run-and-gun that does not for a change try to mimick Contra or the Slugs, something like that, then we can talk.

Yes, I know that this prolly wouldn't be feasible but really, what's the point of developing a new Neo game that could also have been done on, say, the Genesis or SNES, without noticeable compromises to visuals and audio?

NeoSeeD

Rugal's Thug
Just a number, may be 500, 600, 700, doesn't really matter to me as I won't buy the homecart anyway. However, if there's a NGCD version available down the line, count me in.

It's not that I would categorically refuse to spend loadsamoney for home/pro-brew games on homecart but it would take a bit more effort on the side of the developers to make me open my wallet. Captain Barrel looks really nice and all, just as I said not several-hundred-bucks nice. Give me a really flashy new beat 'em up with six individual characters, great graphics, punchy music and sound and a good dose of that extra mile Neo Geo trickery like scaling and whatnot, or a great vertical shmup, run-and-gun that does not for a change try to mimick Contra or the Slugs, something like that, then we can talk.

Yes, I know that this prolly wouldn't be feasible but really, what's the point of developing a new Neo game that could also have been done on, say, the Genesis or SNES, without noticeable compromises to visuals and audio?
One thing about these "Neo Geo" releases is they get ported straight from MVS/AES to the DC or PSP and I don't understand why. If it's a piracy thing, well, the DC/PSP are just as bad if not outright worse than the Neo CD.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
One thing about these "Neo Geo" releases is they get ported straight from MVS/AES to the DC or PSP and I don't understand why. If it's a piracy thing, well, the DC/PSP are just as bad if not outright worse than the Neo CD.
I guess the idea is to offer more affordable versions to get people to buy the game who otherwise wouldn't think of shelling out for a cart release.

You can't keep piracy in check anyway, everything will be pirated, no matter if its PSP, DC, Neo, NGCD, not cool but what can you do.

Johnny16Bit

Mickey's Coach

Even on a modest game like this, there would be some very noticeable compromises, trust me.
We're all for making the awesome stuff you describe, and it is our aim in the future - even if it still won't be several-hundred-bucks nice either, no video game is.
We chose not to kickstart, to sell games we can actually do and complete before putting up for pre-order, and to try to grow with that model.

It's not a piracy thing, it's a "get more people to access it and possibly buy it" thing.
Also, they're all native ports with their own specificities, not emulation of the neo rom; Ozzy likes, and takes pride in doing that.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Even on a modest game like this, there would be some very noticeable compromises, trust me.
We're all for making the awesome stuff you describe, and it is our aim in the future - even if it still won't be several-hundred-bucks nice either, no video game is.
Back in the day I gladly paid the price for a new game on homecart coz you got awesome stuff that was arcade perfect and couldn't be had anywhere else. If a new game would manage to at least come a little closer to that thrill than a single-screen platformer, as great as it may be, things would look quite different for me.

Still, I don't want to belittle your efforts, I'm sure there's more to it than it seems at first sight.

NeoSeeD

Rugal's Thug
It's not a piracy thing, it's a "get more people to access it and possibly buy it" thing.
Also, they're all native ports with their own specificities, not emulation of the neo rom; Ozzy likes, and takes pride in doing that.
Is it easier to create a native port for a separate retro platform than to port to the Neo CD? Is the NGCD platform that minuscule that it's not worth the time?
Just trying to understand why the most accessible and affordable SNK console keeps losing out on these new homebrews.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The obvious reason a lot of the indie devs don't do NGCD is because as soon as you do, there are bootlegs everywhere.

X-X-Everywhere.jpg

For the 'name your price' rom releases it shouldn't be an issue though. Also, the porting of games that don't fit into the NGCD's memory take some effort.