Keiji Inafune's spiritual sucessor to Megaman Kickstarter Launched

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9?ref=recently_launched

a1d0e45fc7a68f4c962f2ebcd7a2210c_large.jpg

This looks extremely good, I can't help but laugh that the $60 "physical copy" is an empty box however.

Although exciting, I smell a lawsuit.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I am okay with digital as long as it's DRM-free, and this is, so count me in.

Letting Inafune, Inaba, Mikami, Kamiya go has essentially destroyed Capcom in my eyes.

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Counting the hours until it reaches full backing... ;)

For now I've gone for the boxed edition myself. I may dumb the pledge down to just a game later, but I at least want to show my support for Inafune's efforts at this time.

Excited about a golden char and a Japanese box+manual (to match my Megaman 1-6 on Famicom), but it's a shame that it's the $99 tier to get the extra transformation :/

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
looks amazing! I'm pretty sure crapcom is gonna shit all over this!

famicommander

15 Year Member
Here are the stretch goals
4b5dd5f90cad228da69d07f089ff6525_large.jpg

1.35 million for Mac and Linux, 2.5 for Wii U/PS360

famicommander

15 Year Member
looks amazing! I'm pretty sure crapcom is gonna shit all over this!
Those bastards had better not. After all they've done to Mega Man fans over the years, the asshats could at least let us have a game we fucking funded created by the man who was essentially the face of their company for decades.

Killing this project would make what they did to Legends 3 seem like a swell thing to do.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I'm really excited but wary of what legal action Cashcom make take.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
Those bastards had better not. After all they've done to Mega Man fans over the years, the asshats could at least let us have a game we fucking funded created by the man who was essentially the face of their company for decades.

Killing this project would make what they did to Legends 3 seem like a swell thing to do.

Lol. When has it ever been about doing the 'right' thing for the fans?

famicommander

15 Year Member
Lol. When has it ever been about doing the 'right' thing for the fans?
They don't have to do the "right" thing. They just have to not go out of their way to be total dickfaces, all the time.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
They don't have to do the "right" thing. They just have to not go out of their way to be total dickfaces, all the time.

Fat chance homie, this is capcom we are talking about. I agree, it would be nice. I just don't see them letting this slide. I really do hope the game gets made, im just not gonna get my hopes up.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Glad I got to meet Mr. Inafune at the NYCC the last year he worked at Capcom. He was really friendly and he really seemed to want to get Legends 3 off the ground. I'm still pissed they canned that and Universe, even though the controls on the demo were horrible. It could have been Capcom's answer to Little Big Planet but instead they just let it die.

I was watching the last 15 minutes of the PAX Panel and they had already made 10 grand by the end the video. As Craig said I hope Capcom doesn't try to crack down on this. The biggest thing keeping me from putting down the 60 dollars for a box with all the goodies is they didn't show off any gameplay. Is this going to be a straight up HD version of Mega Man with different characters? What new gameplay elements are they adding? I really would have liked it if they showed what's going to make this game different from previous Mega Man games. Hopefully they will update it later on with another trailer, but it seems like everybody else just wants to say "Fuck you" to Capcom so their pledging now.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Wow, this looks really good. It's definitely walking a very thin line, though. I imagine they've already talked to copyright lawyers, though. They're not doing this blind. They definitely can do a game similar to Mega Man, but they have to be careful of getting too close to the subject material... and some of those enemies look pretty damn close. I hope this sees the light of day, because it looks amazing.

scrubsy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I wish him all the best in the world and hope he makes it, but I'm sure Capcom will have a word to say before this is released.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Oh wow. Within the time it took that 5 and a half minute video to run, the number of backers went up by 45.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Backed it at $60

Watched video.........dude is just in the game store signing fami carts.....lucky bastards

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Am I the only one who thinks this game is completely unoriginal? I mean, I know the guy created Megaman... but still. All of the character designs save no. 9 look they they came straight from Megaman.

Not to say Megaman is bad, it's one of my favorite series ever, but I'd like to see an original game not based on robots fighting virus-infected robots.

Last edited:

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Oh wow. Within the time it took that 5 and a half minute video to run, the number of backers went up by 45.

Yeah it's the only kickstarter project page I have visited that you can see the dollars build up as you wait.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Am I the only one who thinks this game is completely unoriginal? I mean, I know the guy created Megaman... but still. All of the character designs save no. 9 look they they came straight from Megaman.

Not to say Megaman is bad, it's one of my favorite series ever, but I'd like to see an original game not based on robots fighting virus-infected robots.
... it's a spiritual successor to Mega Man. It's supposed to look and play like Mega Man.

If you want entirely original games and ideas, Inafune is doing that too:
http://www.maql.co.jp/product/kaio/en/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul_Sacrifice_(video_game)

This game is being made to address a specific audience that in being inexplicably ignored by Capcom. They really backed off major support of the franchise when the last few of their Battle Network-style RPGs for DS tanked hard in Japan, but all the recent 2D action sidescrollers (Mega Man 9, 10, Powered Up, Maverick Hunter X, ZX, ZX Advent, Zero Collection) did well enough. There are people out there who want to play a traditional Mega Man style game, and who better to give it to them than Keiji Inafune?

Again, he isn't just living off his legacy. He's creating new IPs and collaborating with other companies as well (Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z). He says this is a game he has dreamed about making, and given his stature in the industry I think he deserves to make whatever the hell game he wants.

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
Those beautiful character sketches alone are enough to convince me that this is the sort of thing I wanna support. It's clear that this guy was at the very heart of what once made Capcom such a brilliant publisher, and why they've faltered so frequently in his absence.

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member

LOL I seriously hope you are just trolling;

If you watch the video Keiji Inafune is wearing all blue, the beginning starts with the view of the side of a building scrolling up (like the beginning of Megaman 2), the girl passing him with the poodle represents Roll and Rush, the closeup of the construction worker is wearing a met hat, the way Mr. Inafune disappears ath the end and his hat remains, classic Megaman. Although subtle, This whole thing is one giant middle finger pointed straight at Capcom.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
I backed it because it appears to be exactly what I'm craving--a 2-D action platformer with all the graphic muscle of modern PC's. It appears to be getting a lot of support already. They're up to $500,000 after 1 day.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I wonder if the game in motion will really look like the screenshot posted. They have a nice "Note: All images on this page are concept art and not actual in-game screens" reminder below most of the images. I hope that picture isn't just a nice mock up.

I really appreciate all the indy developers who have been making 2D titles but I hate when they purposely make them look "retro" like they're out of a 8 or 16 bit game. I want some high resolution 2D awesomeness.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
LOL I seriously hope you are just trolling;

I seriously hope Inafune is trolling...that would be brilliant if he is and it would be tragically sad if he's sincerely creating a "spiritual successor" while reusing not only the gameplay but pretty much everything else except the names.

Oh well....I will welcome this new megaman ripoff with open arms. The game looks real fuckin neato.

Last edited:

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
I really appreciate all the indy developers who have been making 2D titles but I hate when they purposely make them look "retro" like they're out of a 8 or 16 bit game. I want some high resolution 2D awesomeness.

I agree with this sentiment 100%, which is why I backed the game. Unfortunately, whenever I express this opinion I'm met with a lot of backlash. But in this day and age it's easy to have ur game look at least as good as symphony of the night, so why not?