Keiji Inafune's spiritual sucessor to Megaman Kickstarter Launched

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Don't get me wrong - I like a lot of the games that look purposefully retro: Mercenary Kings, Scott Pilgrim, and the new-retro Mega Man titles.

What I hate is this idea that for 2D to succeed it must be purposefully retro.

Thank god* for stuff like Odin's Sphere, Muramasa, and Dragon's Crown. While the flash-style animation on those titles is kinda weird at least they're gorgeous to look at, and Dragon's Crown has been the least jarring for me.

But uh yeah, Hi-Res 2D please, please, please.

*Crom and/or whoever you like.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I don't believe in it. All the other games funded via Kickstarter really have been "meh" so far.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
I don't believe in it. All the other games funded via Kickstarter really have been "meh" so far.

I see your point, this is the first game I've kicked in for as I tend to stick to comic book/graphic novel kickstarters and the finished ones have ranged from awesome to bloody great

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
I'm in..but April 2015...such a long time to go...not sure the 360/PS3/WiiU ports will be that relevant by then..hopefully these can be bumped to next-gen if the funding goes well.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
The goal is already past half way in one day and still going up as I watch!!

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I really feel like this is the start of something big. The news has been like a jolt to the system or rush of blood to the heart; I'm really excited by what's happening because of this project.

This is the game the fans needed, and it just goes to show that if Capcom won't listen, we have to band together and do it ourselves!

...I couldn't back this fast enough once I heard :D

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
$710,000

This is definitely going to clear all of its stretch goals. Also, Inafune was asked about possible Crapcom interference:

Keiji Inafune said:
That being said, Mega Man is Mega Man because it's my style. It's my artistic style that created that character. Beck, in Mighty No. 9, is also a character that I've created. If the idea is that I should try to stop creating characters via my style and try to create a different style that totally doesn't fit with me, that doesn't seem to make a lot of logical sense. Certainly I'm not going to do that just to make Capcom happy. I am who I am. My artistic style is what it is. We're all going to naturally gravitate toward what fits us naturally as an artist or a creator or a designer or whatever. That's all I'm doing in this case as well.
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/keiji-inafune-my-artistic-style-is-what-it-is

Inafune said:
"We haven't heard anything from Capcom at this point. If it turns into a legal battle, then obviously it'll be lawyers that hash out what the solutions are. However, from my perspective, Mega Man is something that I created. It would be like having a child, then having somebody adopt that child and then saying that child isn't really yours. That child has your DNA in it, no matter what anybody says. So, since my style, my spirit isn't something that I can't change as a human being, if I create anything and it's something that looks like [Mega Man], well, it was created by the same person, me. To say that Mighty No. 9 looks like Mega Man is to say that my work looks like my work.

But we have been careful. The base gameplay is not the same as Mega Man. The naming, the character, all that is not the same. The details are very different. Personally, I've gone out of my way to make sure that this is something original. And if Capcom does come back and say something, I would be surprised."
http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=211271

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I really do like it that their going with the high res animation and not going back to an NES style 8/16 bit looking game. As much as I'd rather see him finish Mega Man Legends since it's something different, I'll go for a traditional style HD version of Mega Man. After seeing how Nintendo made him look in the new Smash Brothers I'd love to see them finally shy away from the old style and into the new generation of graphics. With this game I really hope they don't do a straight up classic Mega Man game like 9 and 10 where. From the picture of Beck for the stretch goals they show him jumping and shooting straight down. I'd love it if he could shoot like Bass in Rockman and Forte', or have the option to run and shoot like in Gunstar Heroes. Still classic Mega Man but with some new twists.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I wonder what the mystery stretch goals are.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Insane.
18 hours ago it was 500K. Now 820K and still going strong.

Those stretch goals will be annihilated.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Sweet! Goal achieved, now it's time for the first stretch goal so we can get 8 levels/bosses instead of 6 :D

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Found this pic on the Mighty no. 9 Facebook page. It's amazing, sad, heart warming, and heart breaking all at the same time. Maybe one day they will meet in the same game.

1236709_421186711320879_26561405_n.png

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Found this pic on the Mighty no. 9 Facebook page. It's amazing, sad, heart warming, and heart breaking all at the same time. Maybe one day they will meet in the same game.

View attachment 6710

There was a post on The Mega Man Network that this pic reminds me of, and I'm paraphrasing here, but it was something to the effect of 'it's like Beck sees Mega Man, just tired from it all, and says "It's cool Rock, I've got this.". The whole thing has an 'end of an era/beginning of something new/baton-passing' vibe to it.

I think that even if Capcom came up with a new Mega Man game now, it just wouldn't feel right. In many ways, to me, Mighty No.9 symbolizes closure and saying goodbye to a dear friend for the last time, while starting a new chapter with new memories to be made.

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
That's some real stuff Ren. I think It's all gonna be for the best. Capcom you stay the hell out of our way !

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
This is looking good. Well on its way towards the first stretch goal.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
I have a good feeling about this. If this is successful, and I'm sure it will be, Inafune's new company should do pretty well. They probably won't come even close to Capcom type sales, but should be profitable and be able to make the games that he wants to make. I'm sure throughout his career he had to make many changes to games that he didn't want to do but was forced to by the higher ups. Now nobody's in his way. Anyways, nice to see yet another quality looking 2-D platformer on the way.

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
Found this pic on the Mighty no. 9 Facebook page. It's amazing, sad, heart warming, and heart breaking all at the same time.

Not only are Megaman's fans who have reached adulthood quite prone to getting carried away like kids in 5th grade- They have repeatedly exhibited blatant signs of getting WAY too emotionally invested in said franchise's latest developments. A staggering number of these adults seem to lack the awareness of the cold, hard truth that the game is first and foremost a disposable entertainment product designed to earn maximum returns on the development costs.

Capcom of Japan as a corporation simply doesn't give a shit whatever the international fanbase may currently be thinking, debating, feeling, obsessing, or reeling over. Plenty of gamers fixated on Megaman are simply delusional, or just seem very dense.

Perhaps it's just my jaded slant on modern gaming in full effect, but unfortunately I couldn't care less about this glorified from the get-go I.P. substitute and its mostly half-baked conceptual design. Even the name kind of stinks, clearly aping Tetsuwan Atom(Mighty Atom) AKA Astro Boy.

Last edited: