Keiji Inafune's spiritual sucessor to Megaman Kickstarter Launched

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
It's great that it's getting made, but man did people get fleeced for those stretch goals.

Shantae is getting a release on ALL of the same console markets for only $400,000 and they were asking hundreds of thousands more just to increase the systems it's on?

There should have been a level of backing where you get to sit on all the new office furniture or get driven around in Ken's new car.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
It's great that it's getting made, but man did people get fleeced for those stretch goals.

Shantae is getting a release on ALL of the same console markets for only $400,000 and they were asking hundreds of thousands more just to increase the systems it's on?

There should have been a level of backing where you get to sit on all the new office furniture or get driven around in Ken's new car.
You should probably put the minimum amount of effort into research before you say things.

Shantae is releasing on Windows, Vita, Wii U, PS3, PS4, 360, and Xbox 1 for a total of 7 platforms.

Mighty No 9 is releasing on Windows, Mac, Linux, 3DS, Vita, Wii U, PS3, PS4, 360, and XB1 for a total of 10 platforms.

For those keeping score, that's three more platforms that Mighty No 9 is coming to.

Mighty No 9 is also a much, much larger and more ambitious project. It's a 2.5D game that uses the Unreal Engine (which costs money to license) whereas Shantae is a 2D game. They also had to hire a separate developer to handle the Vita/3DS versions, plus they have to deal with localization for a simultaneous worldwide release. There are four different developers working on Mighty No 9 (Inti Creates, Comcept, Abstraction Games, 8-4 Ltd).

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
You should probably put the minimum amount of effort into research before you say things.

Shantae is releasing on Windows, Vita, Wii U, PS3, PS4, 360, and Xbox 1 for a total of 7 platforms.

Mighty No 9 is releasing on Windows, Mac, Linux, 3DS, Vita, Wii U, PS3, PS4, 360, and XB1 for a total of 10 platforms.

For those keeping score, that's three more platforms that Mighty No 9 is coming to.

Mighty No 9 is also a much, much larger and more ambitious project. It's a 2.5D game that uses the Unreal Engine (which costs money to license) whereas Shantae is a 2D game. They also had to hire a separate developer to handle the Vita/3DS versions, plus they have to deal with localization for a simultaneous worldwide release. There are four different developers working on Mighty No 9 (Inti Creates, Comcept, Abstraction Games, 8-4 Ltd).

Isn't one of those teams also working on Shante?

Also can't wait for the art book through Udon Studios

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Yes, Inticreates is co-developing Shantae with Wayforward.

Phyeir

I'll give you my bad on the total system count but the rest of it just doesn't pass a gut check for me (as I don't work in the industry to have specifics, that's all I really have to go on) and feels well padded.

The base game development, which was met at $1,000,000, would already require a team to translate for the worldwide simultaneous release and would also already include costs for the Unreal Engine license in the first place. So all the rest of these goals to move this to more and more systems are for dev teams to port what will be an existing game that most of the work was being acheived at nearly a quarter of the costs. Adding the steps from each step goal, there is another $750,000 in goals to widen the system releases to what it is.

So for nearly double the costs of the 2D Shantae base game going into release on 7 systems, we see Mighty No. 9 going to 9 more systems (all other dev costs were covered by inital $1m). Unless the 3DS/Mac/Linux licensing are that extreme and the porting is that difficult across the systems, it just doesn't pass muster. Or I've grown too untrusting and cynical in my old age.

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
His name alone is a great draw. There are far more people who played a Mega Man title than those who played a Shantae title, which is kind of a rare and obscure game to begin with.

Phyeir

so when does Capcom send the cease and desist letters?

Capcom will wait until late 2014 or early 2015 for that one. Let them spend a good portion of the time and money, see what the final product is looking like and slam them when there is something close to a finished product. Seems like what Capcom would do with how much they love each other (Capcom and Inafune) just to really stick it to him.