Who else has gone back to consumer crts?

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
I keep two sony trinitrons in storage for just this reason. Sometimes you just want the image to look blurry. Some of those BVMs are just too damn sharp for their own good. It's a love hate relationship, but I'm indecisive as hell, so I just keep both around.

I hope they aren't blurry, that might be a problem. Did you mean soft? ;p

ginoscope

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I love my 20" PVM but I have been reading up on modding crt for RGB.

I'm sure it would not be as good as a pvm but a 27" Triniton in RGB could be a really nice alternative. I have worked on arcade monitors so not worried about frying myself. I may try and find a small CRT to mess around on.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
I love my 20" PVM but I have been reading up on modding crt for RGB.

I'm sure it would not be as good as a pvm but a 27" Triniton in RGB could be a really nice alternative. I have worked on arcade monitors so not worried about frying myself. I may try and find a small CRT to mess around on.

This is possible? I've heard of people using TV tubes as replacements for monitors, but I haven't heard of people doing this in the USA. From what I heard the CRTs in the UK were supposed to be better than the USA ones, but keep me updated on this project- I'd like to see how it goes.

ginoscope

Kuroko's Training Dummy
This is possible? I've heard of people using TV tubes as replacements for monitors, but I haven't heard of people doing this in the USA. From what I heard the CRTs in the UK were supposed to be better than the USA ones, but keep me updated on this project- I'd like to see how it goes.

Yeah the way it works is that the OSD menus of most US TVs are in RGB. You have to connect to that to get the RGB. Not all TVs can do it but I have heard great things from the TVs that can do it. Not as good as a PVM but you can get a really big size TV with RGB. I like to learn new things so I figure I would mess around with it. Not something I would recommend to anyone who doesn't know how tubes work because they can hold quite a charge.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I never moved away from consumer CRTs. I don't care for modern games, so I have no need for a horrible HDTV. I don't see any significant advantage in using RGB over component or even s-video, so I have no need for an overpriced and extremely rare in my area PVM or BVM.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I use an RGB to component converter on a consumer CRT. The upgrade to RGB in order to do this is worth it.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
I use an RGB to component converter on a consumer CRT. The upgrade to RGB in order to do this is worth it.

I recently picked up a Sampo 33' crt, I don't know if it's a typical consumer CRT as it's a 'multimedia' monitor but it was very cheap on Craigslist and has RGB input through a VGA port and then the typical AV/Component inputs like a normal CRT TV. I just picked up the Scart to Component convertor and the difference between this and my NEC XM29 is minimal. With quality this good I don't think the value is there in spending tons of money on the more expensive stuff, and when you factor in most RGB monitors like PVM's are tiny it certainly wouldn't be worth the very minor at best upgrade in picture quality to lose that much screen size. I'll be switching to the Sampo for my normal old school gaming and tating the XM for Saturn, X360 & DC shmups.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Nice one. I know a lot of gamers recommend small screens, but I grew up hooking my systems to the family TV when I could, and so I think because of that, I prefer a larger CRT.

GreyFox

n00b
I have a foot in several different camps to be honest. For context I am in the UK so have always had easily accessible RGB.

I have a 14" consumer Sony Trinitron which has a lovely picture and is probably closest to how I remember taking growing up (e.g. RGB Scart Megadrive gaming on a portable)

I also have a 20" PVM which I picked up as I wanted another CRT and I got a really good price on. I actually don't use this as much as I probably should but it is a lovely set.

Other than that I have a Sony LCD which is pretty good for most things that I throw at it. I do have a Framemeister that I use with this but I tend to get hung up on trying to get the settings just right and there always seems to be a compromise somewhere. Find the Framemeister a little niggly to use to be honest.

The other way I often play is on a 19" CRT PC monitor. This is ace for Dreamcast via VGA but also when hooking up 240p consoles via an XRGB 2 Plus that I have had for years and years. Love the picture this gives. Rock solid picture, vibrant colours, decent simulated scanlines and none of the fuss of newer scalers.

So a mixed bag of displays for me. I think a lot of gamers get hooked on trying to get the perfect display but are actually trying to recreate the way a game looked like in their mind when they were growing up. Most people growing up played via RF or composite and the blurring etc was all part of the charm. I tend to prefer gaming on a CRT for everything prior to XBOX360. Just something about the "warmth" of the display but I think each has its merits

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The TVs I had as a kid were absolute shit, I'd never want to recreate that experience.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
I'll take that you're kidding... riiiiiight? :eye::eye:

I can understanding rounding RGB & component together, but the difference between those vs. S-video isn't minor. No need to jump into professional grade equipment to have this, either. Lots of modest consumer sets come alive rather nicely through their component inputs.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
The TVs I had as a kid were absolute shit, I'd never want to recreate that experience.

So were mine- the only TVs I played on as a kid that were cool was the rear projection one my dad had.

GreyFox

n00b
To clarify what I meant. I mean they are trying to recreate how they "remember" the games being (i.e. Amazing sharp graphics, incredible visuals, how can gaming get any better than this) rather than how the displays actually were for many people (often small screen, RF or composite, bit of colour bleeding etc). Obviously some people did have awesome CRT sets back in the day - either high quality tubes or dedicated monitors like the Commodore and Philips ones and also used RGB (especially those of us in Europe) but lots of people didn't.

Essentially for lots of people it is like Nostalgia Remastered

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Personally, I just want to play my games in the best way possible. I would actually prefer it if I could hook up the old systems to my Plasma and it be the best thing ever, but it doesn't work like that.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
There comes a time when the effort required to go from "good enough" to "the best" is far greater than the difference between those two.

Getting RGB or component out of my original white Famicom would require a NESRGB board, an adapter, the removal of the eject lever and a new power/AV board. No thanks, I'll stick to a composite mod and get to keep the eject lever.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Personally, I just want to play my games in the best way possible. I would actually prefer it if I could hook up the old systems to my Plasma and it be the best thing ever, but it doesn't work like that.
Get a Framemeister.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I tried the framemeister and sold it. It was nice enough but really I didn't feel it was worth it. Bought a nice TV that had good ratings for low input lag, as well. Tried the retron5, retro freak, ouya, and a few other emu type boxes and ended up going back to original hardware on my 36" Sony Trinitron for gaming and watching stuff on older media formats.

Don't get me wrong, the stuff wasn't bad, just to me wasn't worth the cost to me for the experience. I enjoyed the games just as much on my tube set up.

When I do want to put up a movie from an older format onto my newer tv I do have a box to help out with that.

All, in all, I guess it is what a person wants out of their viewing experience. B/W movies don't feel right on the lcd for some reason, so I usually watch them on one my older sets.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I'm really happy I have the Framemeister when I want to play on the big flat screen. Since it's an all-in-one HDMI solution for all consoles, it's worth it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I went all in with the Framemeister and used the plasma as my only display device for a while, but when a PVM fell into my lap and I tried the same games I realized that although I hadn't detected any noticeable lag in the HD setup, I was playing these games much, much better on the CRT. I eventually disconnected all the old machines from the HD set and sold the Mini since I just wasn't using it anymore.

I actually have a iScan VP50 I use for upscaling laserdiscs, and I could chain it to my XRGB2 for an awesome setup with slightly less lag than a Framemeister if I ever wanted, but I've not had the inclination.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I went all in with the Framemeister and used the plasma as my only display device for a while, but when a PVM fell into my lap and I tried the same games I realized that although I hadn't detected any noticeable lag in the HD setup, I was playing these games much, much better on the CRT. I eventually disconnected all the old machines from the HD set and sold the Mini since I just wasn't using it anymore.

I actually have a iScan VP50 I use for upscaling laserdiscs, and I could chain it to my XRGB2 for an awesome setup with slightly less lag than a Framemeister if I ever wanted, but I've not had the inclination.

Tyson whipped your ass