Weekly Roundup

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
Taito Nesica cabinet

Samurai Spirits 2019: Managed to play somebody with a decent Ukyo in a presumably different state online several times, while also gradually progressing through story mode.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I’m headed to Exton later this week. I’ll be curious to see what’s what.

They had FEXL last time I was there, but no SamSho yet.

The Street Fighter V King Cabinet they are running, is all manner of rediculous.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge - found my secret stash of GB games. Haven't played any of them in years, they were all dusty. But this is a great game, and more importantly, a great portable game. The difficulty is perfect - very frustrating at first and then you can breeze through it. This is the only Mega Man game that - in my opinion - discourages the player from using the Mega Buster during stages. There are lots of very irritating enemies that can be a hassle to take out with the Mega Buster, but switching to the right weapon can make you charge through and not stop.

Anyways. I really regret selling Game Boy MMIII to V now like nine years ago.

edit: Mega Man II Game Boy - this is a game for babies. Level design has degraded from 1's clever enemy layouts that forced you to think which weapon would work to a lazy copy and paste feeling. Metal Blades are too OP. Mega Buster is also too strong on bosses and makes the whole rock, paper, scissors aspect redundant. As I also feel in the NES games, the addition of Rush - which is a heartwarming thing, a robot dog for a robot boy - takes challenge away and does not add to the game. The brainwashed Mega Man from the future who jumps on a pogo stick is gay af. Having said that, I have beat this game three times since yesterday out of sheer boredom.

edit mk.II: Operation C - what a neat little Contra. I think only 4 people worked on it (including Toru Hagihara, who would become the director of Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night), not counting the Special Thanks mentions. The best overhead stages in the series, imo. It was a neat idea to upgrade the spread gun if you picked it up again. There are some fun Easter eggs too, like shooting seemingly indestructible parts of the environment for homing missiles, or standing for 20 seconds at the edge of a chasm that requires a pixel-perfect jump only for a short bridge to shoot out. Neat little flourishes that make for a neat little game.

Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Wii U

LoZ BotW - Finished all shrines, beat the game, now trying to get all side quests done.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
PS1
Grandia - finally beat this after 55 hours. I'm done w RPGs after this one for a while

Switch
Dragon Quest - took like 6 hours to beat this one

PS4
Bioshock - comfort food.

Vita
Rayman Origins - forgot how awesome this game was. Great controls are looks amazing on the Vita

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
PS1
Grandia - finally beat this after 55 hours. I'm done w RPGs after this one for a while

Nice congrats on your accomplishment and perseverance to finish it. You may need something like that to pass the time if we’re all holed up!

Switch
Tetris 99
Video kid

That’s it for me except for downloading some new steam games I haven’t started yet

Last edited:

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
Nice congrats on your accomplishment and perseverance to finish it. You may need something like that to pass the time if we’re all holed up!

Switch
Tetris 99
Video kid

That’s it for me except for downloading some new steam games I haven’t started yet
I have plenty of PS1 era JRPGs and such to delve into, but sometimes we need to change things up. Maybe if I get quarantined I'll fire up Grandia II, I hear good things about it

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
3/22/20
Switch
Tetris 99
Doom - May get Doom 64 too not usually my type of game but I have a soft spot for Doom
Mario Kart - hadn’t played this in over a year and I played a friend that plays once a week and got trounced.

PS4
Va-11 Hall A

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
It's been busy because of lockdown

Switch
Sengoku Blade

PS4
Bioshock

PS3
LittleBigPlanet
Devil May Cry 2

SNES
Soul Blazer

Vita
Rayman Origins

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Switch:
Collection of Mana / FF Adventure
I'm about 6 hours into this and am loving it.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Wii U

LoZ BotW - Time to put this away. Don't care enough about the side quests to finish the remaining 14 off.

Switch

Animal Crossing

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Been playing tons of games in the last few days

Mega CD - Robo Aleste (excellent and balls hard), The Terminator (the engine was made by the guy(s) who made Aladdin MD), Dungeon Explorer, Batman Returns (love the driving sections), Sol-Feace (Wolf Team strikes again), Keio Flying Squadron (I love this game a lot), Final Fight CD, Fatal Fury Special (it's really an excellent port)

Master System - Ninja Gaiden, Shinobi (I'm obsessed with it), Wonder Boy IIi The Dragon's Trap, Alien 3 (crap movie, great game), Alien Syndrome (not really arcade-perfect but defo arcade-difficult), R-Type (one of the better ports), Bubble Bobble, Wonder Boy 2 in Monsterland

Mega Drive - Shadow Dancer (I like it better than Revenge of Shinobi), Granada (I'm a Wolf Team fanboiii), Wonder Boy in Monster World (great gameplay, very nice visuals and sound, a joy to play), Wonder Boy III Monster Lair (long story with that game for me, starts out very easy but gets quite challenging later on, nice mix of platformer and shmup)

Seeeeeeee-gaaaaaaaaaa :)

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
PS4: Finished Witcher 3 yesterday, got the 'bad' ending, so I started NG+ to get either of the 'good' ones; Also, I'll try to play it that way this time around so the self-appointed robber baron in Velen won't hang himself.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Great choices last week Takumaji, I need to play that Fatal Fury Special port one of these days but I love the other Sega Cd choices, I may have to get the ole Genny out for some Granada myself.

PS4
Va Ha 11 A - Finished the first story, going to run through it one more time.

Switch
Tetris 99
Chaos Code - One of my favorite recent 2D fighters, I’m a little disappointed this doesn’t have online play as I was hoping to play a friend who got it as well
Mario Kart

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Dear Lord help me

SAT

Metal Black
Tenchi Wo Kurau II
Gals Panic SS
Mizubaku Daibouken

MD

Gunstar Heroes
Fire Mustang
Gain Ground
Contra The Hard Corps

NEO

Metal Slug 2

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Game
Creative
Staff

!

WolfTeam are my favorite dev from that era.

Played some 30th ani on Switch w/ 300wins and BIGTIME...and it laaaaaaaged.

Music cut in and out like a drunk DJ w/ one week experience was cutting it up.

Sucks.

Not sure why SF Collection on og xbox played better in 2005 w/ DSL, and this SF on switch is lagtacualar over fiber.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Great choices last week Takumaji, I need to play that Fatal Fury Special port one of these days but I love the other Sega Cd choices, I may have to get the ole Genny out for some Granada myself.

A friend of mine gave me his spare copy of the game which he got in a package deal, it was the first time that I've played it and was really highly surprised how good it is. I have the Neo homecart and CD and played it tons and tons and tons, and still do, in fact it's one of my fave fighters ever. The Mega CD version is very good, music is the same than on NGCD (as far as I can tell), graphics are very good. There are some cuts but nothing that bugged me in any way. Gameplay is tops, selected my man Jubei and didn't have to adjust my Neo-trained muscle memory for him at all. Difficulty level in 1P is lower than on Neo. Defo a recommended purchase for the Mega CD.

Well... still have my Sega rig running so the new list isn't much different:

Mega CD

- Dungeon Explorer (I'm a level 42 warrior now but some dungeons are still quite challenging, great game, looks excellent, music is technically good but could have been a bit more fitting to the dungeons)

- Keio Flying Squadron (I like the graphics style of the game, it's a nice challenge on higher diffs)

- After Burner III (the cockpit view is quite nice, although it doesn't add too much to the original concept. I find dodging incoming missiles way more difficult in this part for some reason)

Master System

- Alien 3 (God, this game keeps kicking my ass. The aim is to rescue all your comrades in each level and fight the aliens but there's a very strict time limit which makes things quite tough)

- Bubble Bobble (my fave port of the game, can't get enough of it)

- Black Belt (a.k.a. Hokuto No Ken in Japan, the Euro/US versions look quite different to the original but gameplay is more or less the same. I really like fighting the bosses, each needs a different combo of attacks and some can be very nasty until you discover their weak spot)

- Secret Command (a.k.a. Rambo First Blood Pt. II in the US, Ashura in Japan and sometimes Secret Commando in Europe, it plays a bit like Ikari Warriors and is ass-spanking hard. Enemy bullets are huge and often it's almost impossible to dodge them. You won't get anywhere without memorising the difficult spots)

- Ninja Gaiden (love it, plays like a dream, difficulty rises slowly but surely, some levels need quite some dedication to learn their ins and outs but IMO it's worth it)

- The Ninja (it plays a bit like Secret Command but with Ninjas, shurikkens and all that stuff. May not look like much but I find it very addictive, levels are quite diverse and difficulty is high but completing a section feels very rewarding)

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Thanks man, I’d like to try it sometime but the price of a copy and the fact that I have it on multiple other systems has kept me from getting it, but it still is a curiosity on my end for sure.

Ever play the Saturn platformer sequel to Keio? If you haven’t given that a try it’s worth a run through, I believe it got a PAL English release but wasn’t picked up in the states unfortunately.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
Some more gaming goodness

Switch
Sengoku Blade

PS4
Call of Duty 4 Remaster
Bioshock

PS3
LittleBigPlanet
Devil May Cry 2

SNES
Illusion of Gaia

Vita
Rayman Origins

Wii
Pandora's Tower

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Smitch
Collection of Mana / Final Fantasy Adventure

I'm about 7 or 8 hours in I think, and I got really far into a dungeon but ran out of keys, so I had to backtrack a LOT. Oh well. Maybe it was worth it for the EXP.

Some more gaming goodness

Switch
Sengoku Blade

PS4
Call of Duty 4 Remaster
Bioshock

PS3
LittleBigPlanet
Devil May Cry 2

SNES
Illusion of Gaia

Vita
Rayman Origins

Wii
Pandora's Tower

How are you liking Pandora's Tower?

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
Smitch
Collection of Mana / Final Fantasy Adventure

I'm about 7 or 8 hours in I think, and I got really far into a dungeon but ran out of keys, so I had to backtrack a LOT. Oh well. Maybe it was worth it for the EXP.

How are you liking Pandora's Tower?
It's fantastic, I love the original type of story and combat. The controls are a bit weird to get used to, but overall it's a good evolution to the Zelda formula.