Weekly Roundup

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
The SCUD Race/Sega GT tracks in Xbox OutRun2, the art direction of GV/Orta/OR2/JSRF…to the bleeding speed of F•Zero…Sega was really nailing it and pushing the envelope on Xbox and GameCube. I get DreamCast level warm fuzzy feels from this era. Some stumbles for sure (why tf didn’t they just port SpikeOut and all the other Model 3 games to Xbox); by and large though, good games from a good time.

And like a well shot movie from 40 years ago, these titles still hold up.

herb

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
10 Year Member
Got a ps5 so I've been playing the hell out of Gran Turismo 7. Loving it so far. I will say I agree with folks that the roulette system is dogshit though.

Taiso

Outside of Causality
20 Year Member
I fell pretty exclusively into Stellar Blade and I really like it so far. It's a pretty good Nier: Automata clone.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
THE EXIT 8 (8番出口)

* You'll become paranoid! o_O
* Don't look for the walkthrough on YouTube!

Good luck.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I picked up a PS4 Pro 1TB and a bunch of cheap games plus Final Fantasy 7 remake. Only early on in the game, at the reactor but it's a beautiful game.

Taiso

Outside of Causality
20 Year Member
So my friend made me a custom arcade cabinet that houses a Neo-Geo AES with a Unibios installed. All my old carts still work like a charm and the display has all these settings to look exactly like a CRT with scan lines and everything. The settings can be adjusted as I please. Two AES controllers have been rewired into the front of the cabinet and they work like a dream. I spent a lot of time this past week revisiting the past:

Fatal Fury Special
Real Bout Special
Real Bout 2
KOF 94 through 98
Samurai Shodown 2
Art of Fighting
SVC Chaos

I'll post pics of the cab later. First one I've ever owned!

I also have gotten back into Granblue Fantasy RE:link on the PS5. They added some new content and I'm greatly enjoying that.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Fallout 76 - PC
riding that wave of players after the success of the Show. I knew absolutely nothing about this game prior, but it's 100% a multiplayer Fallout. You could play it entirely solo if you want a traditional Fallout game. Everything autoscales, so people can participate in whatever you are doing.

Taiso

Outside of Causality
20 Year Member
Here are the cab pics.

Arcade 816 is my friend's custom cab enterprise. He makes cabs that house home systems to provide an arcade style experience. Neat gimmick.

Attachments

• 20240603_220333.jpg
    20240603_220333.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • 20240603_220339.jpg
    20240603_220339.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 9
  • 20240603_220347.jpg
    20240603_220347.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 20240603_220357.jpg
    20240603_220357.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 20240603_220409.jpg
    20240603_220409.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 9
  • 20240603_220550.jpg
    20240603_220550.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
PS5
Star Wars Dark Forces Remaster
I wall ways wanted to play this proper.Since the PS1 port was terrible and in the 90's i didn't have a computer of my own to play the ms-dos original.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Has thousands of games on every console conceivable with his mr. rom box he's always trying to push on people. Yet doesn't play any, and brags about that fact. Please never change, kernow.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
yep definitely never played any of those old games before

Taiso

Outside of Causality
20 Year Member
I don't like teh romz even though I already have them all.

Average Joe

Calmer than you are.
20 Year Member
PS4

Sekiro

Hades

Played Hades when it first dropped and it is still so damn exciting to play even after all those initial runs on my first playthrough--honestly probably one of my favorite games released in recent years.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Switch
Luigi's Mansion 3
Princess Peach: Showtime!

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Space Raiders (GC) - A third-person shooter re-imagining of Space Invaders by Taito. Nasty aliens move around in front of you and you gotta kill them while collecting powerups and dodging bullets with evasive rolls. There are story and survival modes, progress is the same in both but you get some cutscenes in story mode. There are boss fights at the end of each area which can be quite tricky. The game is fun, basically it's rather mindless blasting with a bit of bullet pattern reading. Powerups are nice, I wish the quite slow main shot would get updated more often but I guess that's part of the Space Invaders style, a game where shooting is limited to one shot after the previous one has either hit a target or moves out of screen. SR is not that strict but shooting speed is still low. Didn't know it existed until recently when a friend of mine told me about the game. Has not been released in Europe, prolly that's why it went past me back in the day.

Juno First, Wizard of Wor Arcade and Pac Man 4k (Atari 2600) - Now that Atari have bought Atariage, they had to stop selling their unlicensed games like RobotWar 2684 (Robotron), Scramble or Galagon (Galaga) by Champ Games and some others. A few months ago, a Last Chance Sale was started where you could order those games for the last time, and I did just that.

Juno First is a port of the arcade game by Konami with a 3D-ish setup and lots of blasting. Gameplay, graphics and sound are top notch, really addictive, it's amazing how accurate the game is and how great it runs on 2600.

Wizard of Wor already got ported to 2600 in the early 80s but this one here is an almost arcade-perfect version with all the bells & whistles, plays great and is addictive like crack, just like the original game.

Pac Man 4k was developed by Dennis Debro in 2011 as a challenge to create a proper Pac Man game on 2600 with only 4k of ROM space which was the standard of early 2600 carts. The outcome is nothing short of amazing, he managed to squeeze nearly all original features in there, the ghosts also behave almost like their arcade counterparts and the overall look and feel is 100% Pac Man. No comparison to the botched original release from 1980.

Dahna: Megami Tanjō (MD) - Action platformer, looks and plays a bit like a mix of Rastan and Golden Axe. Average-to-good graphics, decent sound, gameplay is fun, level design is a mixed bag but overall a very nice game that's good for a couple of hours. Has only been released in Japan so all text is Japanese, there's an English patch floating around if you want to follow the story but it's not necessary to actually play/complete it so I haven't bothered to apply it yet.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Final Fantasy 7 remake

Not a lot of time spent on it.

Batman Return to Arkham Asylum

I play it once a year usually.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Work was a little slower than usual this week so got a little more relax time in

Also did get to the local pinball place (a lot of arcade games like Point Blank were down unfortunately)

Switch
Retro goal

PS1 on PS3 Harmful Park

PS1
Dead of Alive
Street Fighter Ex Plus Alpha
Street Fighter EX 2

Genesis
Magical Tururuto Kun

Arcade
Atari Crossbow
Atari Star Wars
Zookeeper
Ultra man Pinball
Kiss (newer one) Pinball
Donkey Kong

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Fallout 3 - explored a ton and finished the story. Overall great game still, wife really enjoyed the world building and reading the lore about the vaults. But man some of that gameplay was jank af, but in 2008 ish it makes sense.

Switch
Final Fantasy V - on the last floor before Nep Ex Death fight. Likely underlevelled but oh well

PS1
Tomba - got this as part of a trade and we're enjoying it. The platforming and momentum-based jumping takes a bit to get used to, especially with analog play off. Some enemy hitboxes are questionable, but the game itself is pretty fun

PS4
Mass Effect - wife and I are starting this one off. I played through 1 and 2, and we'll see what type of character we end up making.