Watching Sports During The Pandemic

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
With MLB started, the NBA and NHL about to return, and the NFL just around the corner, I thought it would be a good time to reflect on everyone's sports watching during the pandemic.

What a weird time. I've been so deprived of anything sports related I look forward to the Titan Games and Ultimate Tag every week. I've also enjoyed American Ninja Warrior reruns. At least there has been boxing and UFC on pretty consistently. NASCAR and Formula 1 have been on, golf too, but I don't follow them closely. I don't care about soccer and don't care that MLS has been on. I can always look up old stuff on youtube, but I've missed live sports from the bigger leagues.

What have your experiences been like during the pandemic with watching sports?

Last edited:

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Haven't watched any sports yet, waiting for the NFL to start...Hope it doesn't get canceled.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Yesterday I watched boxing, bare knuckle, the first Rockies game, Denver Outlaws lacrosse, and when all that was over I caught the last Bellator fight.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Yesterday I watched boxing, bare knuckle, the first Rockies game, Denver Outlaws lacrosse, and when all that was over I caught the last Bellator fight.

Imagine the tales you'll have to tell your kids one day.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
If you consider Battlebots a sport (at least a Motorsport), it got delayed because it was gonna be filmed in April. It’s in the air right now if it’ll happen, but I got invited to be on a team this year (actually because of COVID, since some of their team mates dropped).

Hope this clears up, last time I was competing in a heavyweight Battlebots tournament it was when it was being streamed online the season before it got picked up up for tv.

Motorsports had that interesting phase where they all played iRacing in simulators lol

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I been watching all the Nascar stuff like usual. It was been as good as it was before imo, though I know some teams are hurting without getting any practice. I'm glad to have it back

sr20det510

Whip's Subordinate
I am glad baseball is back.
DirecTV finally has Spectrum Sports Net and I can now watch the Dodgers without having to pay for Spectrum cable during baseball season.

La Liga season ended well with Madrid winning the title.

MLS and Mexican league are also on so there is always something to watch.

I can't wait for college football. Sadly, the Pac-12 and Big 12 will only be playing a conference only schedule to try to make sure they can keep track of COVID19 testing.

Hopefully everyone stays safe. I read the all of Michigan State's football team in quarantined due to a few players testing positive. Hopefully, other teams are forced to completely quarantine once the season starts.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
If you consider Battlebots a sport (at least a Motorsport), it got delayed because it was gonna be filmed in April. It’s in the air right now if it’ll happen, but I got invited to be on a team this year (actually because of COVID, since some of their team mates dropped).

Hope this clears up, last time I was competing in a heavyweight Battlebots tournament it was when it was being streamed online the season before it got picked up up for tv.

Motorsports had that interesting phase where they all played iRacing in simulators lol

During this time, hell I would consider Battlebots sport related. Why not. Were you asked by one of the established teams, or a new one? Bite Force has been looking unbeatable the last couple of years.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
During this time, hell I would consider Battlebots sport related. Why not. Were you asked by one of the established teams, or a new one? Bite Force has been looking unbeatable the last couple of years.

An Established team, though it's a new bot and because of some team mate shuffling it might be going under a new name. I was on Team Toad in 2014. Was at 2015 but not competing, was a +1 to my girlfriend at the time who was. They used a youtube clip of a match I was helping with Team Danby before in one of the montages they showed of Minotaur's fights from "underground" events.

I've always considered Battlebots to be a motorsport, some don't but I was pretty pleased when Motorama started having smaller weight class robot fights. I felt that legitimized it as a motorsport decently.

Bite Force is a bad ass bot. When he won the 2015 nut, the editors left out the speech Paul gave thanking Greg and Trey (the founders) for starting it. And how Trey was a mentor to him, and when Paul was 15 he was gifted a drill set by him and it really set forth his career in engineering. People are doing socially distanced robot fights now - one person loads into the arena at a time and the judges watch remotely from a video feed.

In Seattle Team Warhawk organizes 4 events a year for 1,3,12, and 30 pound robots. If I'm not competing I'm usually judging - and we had to cancel one of them already :/

Last edited:

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Hopefully the Marlins stuff doesn't happen again, but it probably will.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I'm watching football since the european leagues started again. Now, I'm anxiously awaiting the Champions League finals, which will be a nice substitute for the postponed European Championship. There were a lot transmissions lately of sports classics, but it didn't do for me and watching games played on consoles on television just proved there's no substitute for the real thing. I'm close to envy those, who never watch sports anyway.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
NFL better start working out a bubble plan now. It's too big to house in one location so they're going to have to alter the schedules and probably make 4 hubs. Right now, bubbles are the only thing that appear to be safe for the players and staff.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I've watched more golf over the past couple months than I did in my entire life up to that point.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I had baseball on last weekend, but I rarely ever just sit down to watch sports. It is something I just have on when I'm doing something.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
The NBA games have been pretty interesting so far, with the fake crowd noises and screens around the arena displaying a crowd of people. I don't know how the NFL will be able to come up with a bubble solution though. It seems much more difficult from a logistics standpoint than the NBA.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I watched "The Last Dance"
That's about all the sports I can manage.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I haven't really been watching much outside of a few ufc fights. A lot of these sports just aren't the same without the crowd. Football (Soccer) has taken a huge hit by not having those packed stadiums. That electric atmosphere, the chanting, loud reactions after foul's, that energy when a goal is scored. It's a big fuckin deal.

I feel NFL football is going to be similar. I'll still watch if it's on TV but just not the same.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
The NBA games have been pretty interesting so far, with the fake crowd noises and screens around the arena displaying a crowd of people. I don't know how the NFL will be able to come up with a bubble solution though. It seems much more difficult from a logistics standpoint than the NBA.

Our football leagues have been running fine. Rugby league here was just about the first sport in the world to get going again. They just keep testing the players over and over and keep them as isolated as possible. We even have reduced crowds at the games. I think what the NBA is doing is overkill and unsustainable in the long run.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Hopefully the Marlins stuff doesn't happen again, but it probably will.

Two positives amongst the St. Louis players so the Cardinals/Brewers game tonight was postponed.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
MLB commissioner has already warned the players' union and the TV partners that the season could be canceled by Monday if there is another major outbreak or if the players do not change their off-field behavior (going to strip clubs and the like).

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
MLB commissioner has already warned the players' union and the TV partners that the season could be canceled by Monday if there is another major outbreak or if the players do not change their off-field behavior (going to strip clubs and the like).

Like Lou Williams of the Clippers who left the 'NBA Bubble' on an excused leave to deal with a personal matter (grandfather's death) only to stop at a strip club on the way back to pick up some chicken wings and now a claim from one of the dancers who say she performed for Williams while he was there. That cost him 10 days and maybe the Clippers' opening night loss.