SVC CHAOS what you think

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Alright, then what about SvC = the Löwenbräu of fighters? :D

That's a much better analogy. After visiting Munich, I have a good frame of reference. SVC is no Augustiner, but it's much better than Spaten.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'm not big on Heineken, but I'm all about trying new beers! What are some of your faves? For educational purposes, of course ;)

If you can go to a german market, you should ask for Etwas Schmeckt wie Scheiße.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I'm not big on Heineken, but I'm all about trying new beers! What are some of your faves? For educational purposes, of course ;)

Posted this in a thread by dspoonrt some time ago: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...ch-Republic)&p=3523498&viewfull=1#post3523498 :)

That's a much better analogy. After visiting Munich, I have a good frame of reference. SVC is no Augustiner, but it's much better than Spaten.

Spaten make a quite good Festbier that gets brewed during the Oktoberfest but their standard variety isn't quite my taste, most of them are very malty but not in a good way.

If you can go to a german market, you should ask for Etwas Schmeckt wie Scheiße.

Either that, or try Affendreck am Stiel.

Last edited:

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member

As soon as I'm done sorting and uploading pictures from the trip, I'll update that thread. We had a good time, tried over 50 different beers in two weeks.

Spaten make a quite good Festbier that gets brewed during the Oktoberfest but their standard variety isn't quite my taste, most of them are very malty but not in a good way.

The Frühlingsfest Hell we tried at their beer tent tasted like dirty rain water. I've had their regular lager, and I'd agree it's just not very good. After those experiences, we didn't feel the need to try any more Spaten.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
The Frühlingsfest Helles is a different brew I think.

Looking forward to your pics!

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Posted this in a thread by dspoonrt some time ago: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...ch-Republic)&p=3523498&viewfull=1#post3523498 :)

Either that, or try Affendreck am Stiel.

Xander: I'll keep my eyes out for it!
Takumaji: Thanks for pointing me in that direction! I also enjoy Spaten. I've only had the chance to have it like twice, but I actually enjoyed the malty flavour.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Xander: I'll keep my eyes out for it!
Takumaji: Thanks for pointing me in that direction! I also enjoy Spaten. I've only had the chance to have it like twice, but I actually enjoyed the malty flavour.

Spaten and Xander's recommendation, Etwas Schmeckt wie Scheiße, taste very similar in my opinion. If you like the one, you'll probably like the other.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Glad to see everyone sharing the love for SvC, best game ever?!...could be...lol

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Figured it was AcidGlow bumping this thread yet again but I guess not. Why can't this thread just die.

SvC Chaos was a terrible game when it came out, and it certainly hasn't gotten any better over time.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Figured it was AcidGlow bumping this thread yet again but I guess not. Why can't this thread just die.

SvC Chaos was a terrible game when it came out, and it certainly hasn't gotten any better over time.

I enjoy SVCC. Why do we need this aparteid against "broken" games?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member

I have to disagree, it has gotten better over time. I remember when I just got it and hated it so much, then forward 5 years later and out of nowhere in a mini-meetup someone said "Hey pop that SvC right in!" I think it was saturn2dfreak and I was like; "Allright, let's have Geese run this motha!" and I had a blast, I really fell in love with the system and the mix of old and new school factors in the game. I'm not gonna say it's butter smooth, no way in hell but its broken behavior makes for a charming game, I prefer it over say...super spy...maybe?

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, yes the game is flawed beyond comprehension but its so awesome! Cheese stages, subdue mainstream style forgettable music, hell of a roster and a pretty nasty system make this a guilty pleasure for me.

I could use this fighting engine on a Mugen special with all the faded sprite fighting games. Imagine Karnov's, FFS, SSFIIT, WHP, etc. in one bad ass game with an SVC bar and the dash/BC super cancels, oh man it would be awesome! A-W-E-S-O-M-E-!

Feels to me like the XBOX port, although hideously filtered shenanigans, it has a better hit detection setup, same goes for the PS2 but that's an import and I know some folks don't wanna get into that hassle, clean sprites with an accurate pixel cunt though...who would of thonk?!

Last edited:

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
It's okay for casual bouts but little else in my opinion. It has too many annoying flaws and a way too loose combo system, even though this is right what makes it fun to fool around with it for a while. I was quite excited when I heard the first rumours of a release of SvC spreading around and even wanted to buy the homecart but then went with the Xbox port. In retrospect, that was a good decision for me, SvC must be one of the least-played fighters of my collection, even RotD got more game-time, and that's saying something.

It was exactly the same for me. I was really hyped, decided by the slimmest margins to wait for the port and was then horrified by it.

Forward on (quite) a few years later and I am of a different opinion. It's flawed, yes, but at the same time it's a really fun game.

Do yourself a favour Tak - if you own a supergun, pick up the PCB. It's cheap as chips and you will get to see a much better version of the game outside of the ports (granted the ports do have more unlockables though).

Now I own it on PCB, it gets played pretty frequently over quite a few other 'better' fighters.

I use to really hate this game but been playing it virtually non stop for the last two weeks, mainly using Hugo and I actually quite enjoy it now and even think the shit obsolete and abandoned backdrops are not as shit anymore

Good point about the backgrounds, I was also really disappointed when I got the port, I felt that they were horrific.

But now ... I think they're pretty dope:

Obvious first choice, nude place;

04.gif

Ewww this is drab, uninspired and boring ... no, wait a minute there is tons of subtle stuff going on here - look at the puddle reflection, and the mist in the very far distance - you can barely see it, but it's there.

05.gif

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Do yourself a favour Tak - if you own a supergun, pick up the PCB. It's cheap as chips and you will get to see a much better version of the game outside of the ports (granted the ports do have more unlockables though).

Apart from the Xbox port, I've also played the game on homecart via RGB on a decent tube TV and agree that the original version looks much better than the port. However, visuals and sound never were my main gripe, it's the engine which gives me headaches. It feels spongy, buggy, just not right at all. During the 2P bouts with my friends, we experienced tons of silly colission detection flaws and lots of illogical behaviour of the combo engine which sometimes registers consecutive hits and sometimes completely ignores a perfectly timed follow-up, which of course gives your opp a free counter ticket.

I'm not a tournament regular so basically I couldn't care less about buggy engines as long as the game is fun. This applies to SvC to some extend and that is what I wanted to say with my Heineken analogy, it's an okay game that is fun for casually fooling around with a couple of friends and a crate of beer. The thing is, if you take a closer look at the refined engines of earlier Neo fighters that came out almost a decade before SvC, the latter feels soulless, incomplete and half-hearted. I have a hate/love relationship to the game, it's not really stinkin' bad but could have been SOO much more.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member

That's KOF '95 right there at the epi center of the stage, I can see Eiji and Billy having a couple of beers from here and they're drinking HEINEKEN...bitches!

Iori is having some wine cooler with a splash of Zima...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
They're drinking Orochi Heineken, it's red and makes you fart fireballs.

I found the design of this particular stage slightly depressing, a bit more colour would have been in order, the palette is too drab for my taste.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
If SvC controlled as tight as MotM, it woulda been a home run.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
They're drinking Orochi Heineken, it's red and makes you fart fireballs.

I found the design of this particular stage slightly depressing, a bit more colour would have been in order, the palette is too drab for my taste.
I agree with the sentiment, I find it melancholic and very much acute with the times of SNK. I'm sure plenty of talent left when things started falling apart and it shows, not to criticize the efforts of games like KOF2001 and such ('cause KOF2001 it's my favorite KOF Gameplaywise, not total package) but it was very evident things were different. For me the last hurray for the true SNK was 2000, after that things changed a lot but I still enjoy plenty of later releases, I'd be lying if I'd say I haven't spent hours on end playing Matrimeele and ROD, not an SNK studio I know but damn it those games felt up to par with MOTW, they just did, they were tight games and SvC came not much later after that, I was so pumped for this game.

Like I said at first, I hated it 'cause I felt cheated after playing the CvS series, I mean those are terrific games and then we get SvC and at first I felt so excited 'cause the roster is amazing but I felt there need it to be a tag system or something grand, massive, crazy, over the top! It wasn't with that type of character that I learned how to appreciate SvC, it was melancholy, never has a game made me miss so much the days of Super T, FFS and so on. It's a game that looks like the latest KOF of those times but was generous with the system in order to make up for the lack of depth and instead turns out the game felt very much like a game of yesterday, that's when it connected with me. I'm the first to detest the hit detection, of course, it's god damned horrible, but hey I managed to live with it and like it for what it is, hopefully someone would one day do an update like it was done to samsho 3.

I like fighters like SvC 'cause they're melacholic, just like Ninja Masters and Last Blade. I feel that's the tone they decided to set in.

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
I find 2 things amusing with the ongoing debate about SvC...

- roughly half of ElectricGrave's eleven-thousand-some odd posts appear to be in this thread alone

AND

- this thread has started from a Chaos felching-fest, now transformed into what import beer do I have to buy and ingest to be able to truly enjoy this broken game

PS - Anyone who is hating on their SvC MVS cart, please trade/sell it to me!

That is all. :-J

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I find 2 things amusing with the ongoing debate about SvC...

- roughly half of ElectricGrave's eleven-thousand-some odd posts appear to be in this thread alone

AND

- this thread has started from a Chaos felching-fest, now transformed into what import beer do I have to buy and ingest to be able to truly enjoy this broken game

PS - Anyone who is hating on their SvC MVS cart, please trade/sell it to me!

That is all. :-J

Should have bought it when it was plentiful here. That game was dirt cheap and easy to find for a long while on MVS.

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Should have bought it when it was plentiful here. That game was dirt cheap and easy to find for a long while on MVS.

I might have had to pay a bunch for mine but I appreciate that I have the MVS kit for it. It's definitely a nostalgia game for me as I recall seeing SvC and CvS2 in a uni arcade before they shut it down but I never got to play them as I didn't think much about arcades other than the novelty at the time (I instead played DoTA on WC3 in the same arcade).

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
It's the only neo title that I prefer the hack version over the original.