So no midnight release of WiiU at GameStop?

Ukee

Geese's Thug
So did anyone get their WiiU yet from a Game Stop? I have been reading reports that Game Stop decided that they were not going to do a midnight release of the new console and even though I don't care for the WiiU I can't help but find this pretty fucked up. I mean all the crap they have been having midnight releases for just in the past month and a new console in what... 7 years means nothing to them?

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Yeah, that's kinda stupid. Wii didn't turn out to be the greatest system, but I actually did get my Wii at midnight at Gamestop, and it was a great time. I'll always remember that.

Seems like midnight releases are kind of up to the individual stores though.

Ukee

Geese's Thug
I just can't see why you would have a midnight event for Borderlands 2 but not for a sold out system.

Neco_Coneco

Enemy Chaser
I heard it was due to security concerns since it was an expensive and hard to get item. They would have to hire security guards or police to monitor the parking lot so no incidents would occur.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
The Wii launch at the Gamestop I reserved it at was mad ghetto, and in a rough part of town. It was at a Gamestop in a mall, and they opened some like back door, which was totally poorly lit.

The security thing sounds about right, though. I can see people getting murderous over Wii U after the insanity of the original Wii.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
it was regional.

Most of the Best Buys in my area were not doing midnight releases as well.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Yea I found it a bit odd as well. Even more so because the Toys R Us in my area was having a midnight release.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
weren't they only giving each store about 4 systems? I would imagine a midnight release would be for something that could generate more than a grand in sales...

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
weren't they only giving each store about 4 systems? I would imagine a midnight release would be for something that could generate more than a grand in sales...

Well 4 Wii-Us at $250 a piece...

My friend is a store manager at gamestop and my understanding is that some titles are must do midnight releases and others are your choice. He decided to do one for Persona 4 Arena because the local Fighting Game Scene would show up. He sold the most copies of the game in a huge region. Then they decided to send him 15 more copies of the game figuring he could sell those too.

SSS

neo retired
Decided on a whim to check the local store this morning. No lines, walked right in and grabbed a 32 gig deluxe pack off the shelf. Was out the door in five minutes.

Rumors of shortage just a ruse to wind up sales?

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
In and out this morning within 15 minutes, although I had pre-ordered. There were 6 more people on the list beyond the first 11 (cut-off point), but even Reggie Fils-Aime has said that Nintendo will be able to replenish stock much faster this time around, so I hope no one falls for that 'price gouging, ebay shit' that always seems to happen.

SSS

neo retired
Be prepared, the first system update is gonna take forever. I think it downloaded the entire library of congress.

Earthquake24

Dodgeball Yakuza
I think I know why there wasn't a Midnight release for the Wii-U at GameStop and it has more to do with corporate than anything else. I used to work at one years back and they are extremely strict with hours and closing out on Saturday night. Meaning they want all of the registers closed out and have payroll clocked and closed up for the entire week. So for them to have a "midnight release", depending on how many pre-orders they get, it would wreck/cause havok to the entire payroll for the next week which would begin Sunday morning. Since Nintendo has a habit of launching their big franchises and systems on Sundays, that's really the reasoning why you never see GameStop have midnight releases on Nintendo products. Shallow yup, but it's about the mighty $ and not paying any extra.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
It's too early to do a black friday midnight sale.

Taiso

Outside of Causality
20 Year Member
I was the first one at my GS at 10 AM sharp, and there was only one other person there.

Was shocked it wasn't a bigger deal considering how crazy people were about the Wii.

Will be interesting to see how the consumer base for the original Wii will responds to the new Nintendo console. Do they still care, or are they fine with their Wii Sports and on to the next fad?

How many gamers did the Wii lifecycle actually create? We're gonna find out.

Tony, the manager at my GS, told me he had about 20 prereserves including mine.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Why would you do a midnight sale for something that is already sold out?

I can't fathom what the finnancial incentive would be

matrimelee

Hardened Shock Trooper
I went to the Halo 4 midnight launch at my local GS. It made me realize that I'm too old for that. I am always up all night, so it isn't lack of rest... The stoner college kids were embarrassing to be around. There were children there younger than my oldest. There was a mother in line lecturing her college student on politics. I'm done.

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
Are Wii U's hard to find? I felt stupid that I waited with a friend outside a Target at night to get one, 'cause by the morning there were only about 40 people in line and about 95 units in stock.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Seems like many of you are complaining about this. Why? Camping outside in line sucks ass. They ought to do pre-orders only. It's the only fair and safe way. If more stores want to end these unfair and dangerous midnight lineups then I say more power to them.

I tried waiting in line for a PS3 when I was unemployed and I will never do it again. I'd rather wait until a month or so after xmas than join that fanatical rat race.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Almost all Wii U sales were done via pre order. There was very little reason to have a midnight release as most were already accounted for. This is unlike many of the previous system launches where it was first come, first serve.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Seems like someone got a clue and figured out the right way to launch a console in this day and age.