Restated my AES Collection

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Yeah the EB sticker is cool. I can't imagine paying $245 in 90s money for World Heroes 2.
I live about 20 min from EBs ex HQ in a West Chester. I literally went to college and parked my car across the road from the HQ. My local mall Granite Run (Gone for about 10 years now) and King of Prussia were the two most local malls to them EB was originally a calculator store at KOP

My point is I don’t know when EB expanded but at Granite Run before it was called EB they called it Games N Gadgets. My original experience with anything Neo Geo was seeing the Nam 1975 and Baseball Stars carts for sale there and they were around $250/$275 and I thought these must be the best games ever if they charge that much and really kicked off my interest in the system.

I actually worked for EB around college and afterwards as a manager for a year or two when my local game store I worked at closed. My job when I quit was basically going around opening stores for them from Virginia to Connecticut, so I spent time with the DM going around and talking to him. he worked for them around the release of the Neo and said with their return policy you could buy one Neo Geo game at $245 and then just continually return them for a new game so it was almost a subscription rental service that’s when they stopped selling them in stores because of that.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I actually worked for EB around college and afterwards as a manager for a year or two when my local game store I worked at closed. My job when I quit was basically going around opening stores for them from Virginia to Connecticut, so I spent time with the DM going around and talking to him. he worked for them around the release of the Neo and said with their return policy you could buy one Neo Geo game at $245 and then just continually return them for a new game so it was almost a subscription rental service that’s when they stopped selling them in stores because of that.
So I guess someone must have had to sell the games as open items after they were returned? (I don't know if they just put them back on the shelf for sale back then.)

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
So I guess someone must have had to sell the games as open items after they were returned? (I don't know if they just put them back on the shelf for sale back then.)
They always “gutted” games anyway for the shelf back then.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Games N Gadgets.
My local mall had a gamestore before it was EB as well. I know at one point it was a Babbages. But I cant remember if the other non-EB name was something else but honestly the name Games n Gadgets seems really familiar. I was in south TX as a kid, not Westchester but yeah for some reason that rings a bell.

I do remember when Babbages was bought out/merged with EB. It was cool to see a brick and mortar version of that catalogue that I'd constantly get in the mail. I remember seeing Neo games there as well, stuff like Nam75 and the first Samurai Shodown.

What I remember most fondly though, was I was able to get a copy of Vampire Savior with the 4mb RAM cart for $15, and it wasn't used. They also had the US release of Magic Knight Rayearth for the same price. At the time I didnt know what MKR even was so I didn't pick it up.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
seeing the Nam 1975 and Baseball Stars carts for sale there and they were around $250/$275 and I thought these must be the best games ever if they charge that much
I had a similar experience. I specifically remember Baseball Stars and thinking this must be the most amazing baseball game ever.

I wonder what early adopters thought. The launch games were decent games, but offered very little over much cheaper counterparts.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I had a similar experience. I specifically remember Baseball Stars and thinking this must be the most amazing baseball game ever.

I wonder what early adopters thought. The launch games were decent games, but offered very little over much cheaper counterparts.
Baseball Stars Professional probably seemed amazing in 90/91, but it kinda sucks now.

I remember a TV news segment spotlighting the Neo Geo when it came out that I'm probably never going to see again. The reporter ended the segment at his desk playing Baseball Stars Professional, "I'm just going to stick to working on the baseball for now."

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Snk made sure to add whatever pizazz they could at the time. I would think soon Baseball Stars would feel just like pretty much any other baseball game and you're left wondering why you paid 4-5 times the price for it.

Maybe I just can't objectively remember this era anymore. Maybe voices and the slightly better graphics of these early games were just jaw dropping and stayed that way?

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Not in the 'I have barbie hair studio for 3DS - only three left to go" batshit mental why am I buying this way

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I cant be arsed, is that the same chick from earlier in the thread that said Metal Slug was one of her favorite games of all time and was clearly playing it for the first time in her life?
Yup.

I skimmed like 5 seconds of the video, she lost me at saying Football Frenzy is a game she likes to play.

Even people that like the Neo dump on that game.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
index.php
Mr Shite I’m Gay

(and broke)