Oklahoma sucks at executing people

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
it's very easy to preach redemption for criminal behavior until you've experienced it firsthand

once a loved one has experienced something god-awful at the hands of another person i would think there is a rather slim chance of an individual retaining such optimistic ideals--now i am not saying it's a negative thing to think so ideally, but i definitely think it lends itself heavily to naivety

i would like to think of myself as someone who prefers to lean on the pacifistic/positive side(s) myself, but i also know that if someone i loved dearly was treated the way this girl was treated i would be very doubtful that i would be able to contain my rage

While I never experienced anything as horrid as some of the victims mentioned I did live a couple years of my adolescence being subjected to physical and emotional abuse on a near daily basis. At the time I was pretty convinced by my hands or his I wasn't going to make it through. My high school years to some extent are kind of a blur as I struggled to return to any sense of normality from the events. I still have nightmares about it, and in small ways it still effects me although plenty of therapy later I pulled myself out of the worst of it.

Now this is just me so take it for what its worth (not much), but the biggest part of my healing was the relinquishing of my anger, my desire for something terrible to happen to him; his 'just desserts'. It's kind of cliche, but at a point I realized hanging onto this desire of revenge or him getting his own did nothing for me, nothing positive anyway. It just made me mad when it didn't happen the way I wanted it to happen. I realized all I focused on was him. In a way he won long after the events were over. I am sure he didn't care at all about what happened, and if there was one thing that could happen it would be him asking for forgiveness, but again is never going to happen.

I focused on myself, my well-being and my 'recovery' instead, and I believe that is what my growth so much more substantial. Yes, there are dark memories, and painful recurrences, but I can say I've overcome that and channeled those feelings into being a better person and using it as a guide to a different life. I think it is what led me to becoming a Psychologist and researching male violence, and it is a career path I am so happy I found. When I was working in corrections big component of the process was forgiving those that hurt them (and often it was family, and often in terrible ways you would struggle to imagine), and a part of it was learning to acknowledge the hurt they caused and see how they were being no better than their abusers. It didn't always work, and probably more often than not it wouldn't click because of how warped things had become in their life. I worked with all kinds of criminals from petty drug charges to murderers to child molesters. You see a lot of hurt people, a lot of people who really never had a chance. Some of them were likely to never see the outside world again considering their charges, but even still some learned to begin to ask for forgiveness from those they hurt. Some wrote letters apologizing for what they did. Some I felt really began to take ownership for the fuck-ups they made.

That's one perspective though, and I admit I'm a pacifist/softy. I see I'm the minority in that regard and I am not surprised. I think my history helps give me that perspective, because sometimes I imagine I could have gone down a similar road of anger, but somewhere I got enough support, common-sense, and love to think differently. I dunno what this whole thing is about, but just giving a perspective (And again, just one) on how else those events could be taken, and to see a larger context.

Lol its an anecdote.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
What happened in Oklahoma was not a simple "Botched execution". It was a foreseeable unmitigated disaster. The state wasn't focused on doing it right, they were focused on doing it .... Period.

In all seriousness, thank god I'm not an executioner.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Execution is near the top of the list of 'things I wish I knew more about'.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I can tell you all you want to know, I smoke motherfuckers like it ain't no thang.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Execution is near the top of the list of 'things I wish I knew more about'.

You're fucking killing me here. But in the best way imaginable: via penile intravenous (because of a collapsed vein) followed by 45 agonizing minutes of respiratory/heart complications before dying like a dog on an execution room floor.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Dunno, but maybe you guys should try some? lol.

Seriously though, all I'm saying is that hate just causes more hate, an eye for an eye doesn't work and never has. It's the reason for all the wars and acts of terrorism and just generally a dead end philosophy. By going about with that mindset, you put yourself on the same level as the psychos. If you're comfortable with that, fine but if you want to think of yourself as better than them, you need to be better than them.

My other point, is that it's impossible to simply exact revenge on someone, without it affecting you. Unless you are the dictionary definition of a psycho, it's impossible to just switch on and then off the hate and rage needed to go through with the revenge and so it eats away at you and basically turns you into a dick, spreading more hatred to everyone you meet. (Obviously on a sliding scale, depending on numerous factors such as how bad the act was, the individual involved, etc) I.e. Someone hits you, runs off, you find them later and hit them back then bump into a third person shortly afterwards by accident. Do you apologise like a normal person or, because you're all fired up, do you lash out, verbally or physically?

Who says 'eye for an eye' never worked? Obviously you don't know anything about the code of Hammurabi, because the punishment didn't always exactly match the crime. Honestly, a lot of the laws are restitution or compensation based, just like our modern laws. The big difference is they didn't fuck around when it came to punishing violent acts or thievery.

I would just like to state, that I do not believe that murderers and rapists should be simply forgiven and let free. If anything, I believe jail terms are too short for many of them. If you commit these acts, you are a threat and shouldn't be given the chance to do any more harm. Basically, you should rot in jail, until you are too old or feeble to do anything.

Let me turn your argument on you...how "humane" is locking someone up for the rest of their life? These people are doing nothing productive and continue to do nothing productive for the rest of their life. Wouldn't it be better to get rid of people like that than to let them sit in a cage and eat food that someone else could be eating?

I do, however, draw the line way before any talk of torture, corporal punishment etc, because I do not live in the middle ages. As someone earlier said, if you want to live like that, go live in a hardline Islamic state, practising Sharia law.

The delicious irony is, your country is probably less 5 years away from practicing Sharia law itself, because of all the Muslims that have moved there. Let us know how that works out.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I think the sides of the arguments above can be reduced to the captaincy of Kirk versus the captaincy of Picard. Neither are wrong and they both have their places, but I just feel at the moment the west doesn't need to resort to Kirk, things ain't that bad.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
In all seriousness, thank god I'm not a starfleet captain.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
In all seriousness, thank god I'm not a starfleet captain.

Why not? You'd get all kinds of space poon.

...and probably get eaten by a space lizard.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I see I'm wasting my breath so I'm out. I credited you with a greater ability to follow a reasoned argument than you are capable of.
You haven't shown any ability to present a reasoned argument. Just a bunch of simplistic hypothetical bullshit that has nothing to do with the situation being discussed.

And you're an idiot.

Treating moral values as an intellectual exercise doesn't mean I'm crediting you with thinking about anything. It means you care so little for your fellow human beings in the face of your naive, half-baked moral absolutism that you've lost all touch with any sense of the real world we actually live in or any ability to make value judgements.

And I'm not preaching hatred. Not sure where you got that from. Calling names: sure. Preaching hatred: more nonsense pulled from your own asshole. Your inability to read, or comprehend what you read, has caused you to combine my posts with someone else's. If you'll check back, you'll see I'm on record in this thread as NOT subscribing to 'an eye for an eye' and NOT being in favor of cruel and unusual punishments. The only reason I began arguing with you was to try to stop you derailing the conversation by projecting your unrelated and hilariously simple-minded attack on a position no one was making.

DonBurgundy

NEST Puppet
I'd rather do an eye for an eye type "executions". Have them raped and then buried alive in a clear box for people to watch as he runs out of air.

I can't agree more with this statement! I have a woman thats been very close to me and she was raped as young teenager and it kills me inside. If I ever had the chance I would torture the two men to death that did this to her. I also have a 5 year old daughter so I couldn't even imagine what I would do if it happened to her. I'm not all for death penalty unless its a 100% conviction or damn near and if its for sick murders and pedophiles like these stories. On top of that they really need to reduce the price on these executions, I'm pretty sure kids in chicago are pulling murders for free or damn near. These lowlifes are definitely not worth the money it takes to kill them so I say they find a better alternative. These animals deserve to get done like that scene in the movie American Me, when the son of the italian mafia boss gets tied down over a pallet of bags of rice, raped, and then they shoved a huge edged knife up his ass. I tried my best to find a clip with that scene but I couldn't find one. If someone can find this scene, please post it!

Seriously tho, you eurofags have your heads up your asses. I can tell from all these weak ass convictions given in the stories mentioned in this thread alone. Who the fuck gives a fucking crazy ass pedophile that raped a 2 year old 4 new identities???? And that sicko that killed all the kids in that youth camp and wrote his manifesto to start his FagNation was given 21 years preventive detention? Wtf does that even mean?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Why not? You'd get all kinds of space poon.

...and probably get eaten by a space lizard.

Any chick you happen to involve romantically will invariably suffer a mysterious and horrible death. Which might be a good or a bad thing depends on how you look at it. XD

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I think the sides of the arguments above can be reduced to the captaincy of Kirk versus the captaincy of Picard. Neither are wrong and they both have their places, but I just feel at the moment the west doesn't need to resort to Kirk, things ain't that bad.

No love for Pike?

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
Yeah, still not seeing the problem but, yeah no, holy shit this is a total outrage if true.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If they want to execute without causing pain, just use the carbon monoxide chambers Jack Kevorkian designed.