Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Too bad it was a body swap. Also, funny how you can look back at someone you thought was really attractive X years ago and wonder how you ever thought they were super hot.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Too bad it was a body swap. Also, funny how you can look back at someone you thought was really attractive X years ago and wonder how you ever thought they were super hot.
Amanda Seyfried really blossomed afterwards. Realized one girl I dated before looked just like Seyfried when she wasn’t in make up, but she was bat shit crazy so I don’t care.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
After mentioning Deep Star Six was better than Underwater, I watched DSS for the first time in a longtime. Good cheesy fun, good likeable characters and what you'd expect from that era. The characters were likeable and the monster was cool unlike todays overuse of CGI. Not the greatest monster movie ever made but you won't feel like you wasted your time.

I'd give it the Michael Jackson 3.5 young boys out of 5 rating.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Amanda Seyfried really blossomed afterwards. Realized one girl I dated before looked just like Seyfried when she wasn’t in make up, but she was bat shit crazy so I don’t care.
Don't know her. At first I thought you meant Amanda Peet. You know, the bad girl from Saving Silverman. Amanda Peet is better than Amanda Seyfried.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Amanda Seyfried has been hot as fuck since Mean Girls.

Watched Ninja III: The Domination this past weekend. Aerobics, exorcism and ninjas! Loved this movies since I was a kid and it just gets better with age.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Amanda Seyfried has been hot as fuck since Mean Girls.

Watched Ninja III: The Domination this past weekend. Aerobics, exorcism and ninjas! Loved this movies since I was a kid and it just gets better with age.
She was in some movie that I can never seem to remember the name of. But it was her and..... Clive Owen? It was a pseudo futuristic thing where everyone's memories were in the cloud, and some girl (Seyfried) had the power to erase herself from everyone's memory. I know I can just google it, but Im already in my evening wear (no shirt, underware) and I just cant be arsed.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
She was in some movie that I can never seem to remember the name of. But it was her and..... Clive Owen? It was a pseudo futuristic thing where everyone's memories were in the cloud, and some girl (Seyfried) had the power to erase herself from everyone's memory. I know I can just google it, but Im already in my evening wear (no shirt, underware) and I just cant be arsed.

"Anon" Not a memorable title. I don't really remember all the specifics, but I do remember enjoying it.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
LotR Update. I'm casually watching, but I'm paying attention more to the film as a project rather than the story this time around. The green screen could really use a modern cleanup. I'm watching the 4k, and there are scenes where people have green borders like they are videogame characters. I'm guessing this is something Peter Jackson is opposed to editing. The scenes overall are done very well tho given the technology at the time.

Plot holes. I gotta say, Fellowship is just full of them. Everyone always remarks about why didnt they just take the eagles to Mordor, but there are dozens of decisions like that. Most of them are movie driven, but it's obvious when you are not engrossed in the movie like I was almost 20 years ago. I rewatched the Balrog scene, and no one goes to help Gandalf even after the balrog is clearly out of line of sight. He's just hanging on the cliff edge by himself. The danger has already passed.

Last edited:

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Balrogs radiate a 60 foot radius of fear and heat or some D&D shit and the Fellowship all failed their saving throws to not piss their +1 elven weave breeches.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
LotR Update. I'm casually watching, but I'm paying attention more to the film as a project rather than the story this time around. The green screen could really use a modern cleanup. I'm watching the 4k, and there are scenes where people have green borders like they are videogame characters. I'm guessing this is something Peter Jackson is opposed to editing. The scenes overall are done very well tho given the technology at the time.

Plot holes. I gotta say, Fellowship is just full of them. Everyone always remarks about why didnt they just take the eagles to Mordor, but there are dozens of decisions like that. Most of them are movie driven, but it's obvious when you are not engrossed in the movie like I was almost 20 years ago. I rewatched the Balrog scene, and no one goes to help Gandalf even after the balrog is clearly out of line of sight. He's just hanging on the cliff edge by himself. The danger has already passed.
Anyone who brings up the Eagles flying them to Mordor is straight up fucking retarded.

The only reason the Eagles were able to help in the final battle in the first place is because all of Mordor's forces were concentrated at the Black Gate. If not for that distraction provided by Gondor and Rohan, tens of thousands of orcs would've been all over Mordor. If the Eagles weren't shot down first they'd have been taken out by the Nazgul. They'd have been spotted hundreds upon hundreds of miles from Mount Doom and they'd all be dead, movie over.

And obviously the danger for Gandalf hadn't passed, considering, you know, the Balrog still managed to pull him down. If anyone had gone to help Gandalf chances are they'd have died along with him, except they weren't angels given human form so they would've just stayed dead.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Nerd alert...nerd alert...nerd alert!

Damn you are really passionate about certain things man!

famicommander

15 Year Member
Nerd alert...nerd alert...nerd alert!

Damn you are really passionate about certain things man!
It's just annoying when people think they can deconstruct something so well known and well studied as The Lord of the Rings with a stupid hypothetical that doesn't stand up to the most basic scrutiny if you've at all engaged with the source material.

It's like asking why Han and Luke didn't just blow up the Death Star the first time around in Star Wars. If you've watched the movie at all, the answer is the same as in Lord of the Rings, and it's really simple: they couldn't.

@M

20 Year Member
But imagine what an awesome Shmup it would be!

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
And obviously the danger for Gandalf hadn't passed, considering, you know, the Balrog still managed to pull him down. If anyone had gone to help Gandalf chances are they'd have died along with him, except they weren't angels given human form so they would've just stayed dead.

So that is what I always remembered as well, but I JUST rewatched that scene. The balrog's whip is long out of range, and they just leave him to fall.

famicommander

15 Year Member
So that is what I always remembered as well, but I JUST rewatched that scene. The balrog's whip is long out of range, and they just leave him to fall.
The whip literally grabs him and pulls him down. What crack are you smoking?

@M

20 Year Member
It's a magic demonic whip that can change length as needed, not unlike LoneSage's lost Vampire Killer (your whip is calling you, Sage...)

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
The whip literally grabs him and pulls him down. What crack are you smoking?
again, that is what I also remembered. It doesnt. The whip trips him up, an he is left hanging with the Balrog falling far below...
Maybe it's another case of Mandela Effect.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Watched Funny Games tonight, the 2007 remake. I don't get the hype about it being disturbing and the 4th wall shit was weird. Crazy situations but I expected a lot more considering the opinions I've read. Worth a watch but not uplifting or funny but there are games!

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Watched Funny Games tonight, the 2007 remake. I don't get the hype about it being disturbing and the 4th wall shit was weird. Crazy situations but I expected a lot more considering the opinions I've read. Worth a watch but not uplifting or funny but there are games!
I think the German original was what earned a lot of the notoriety. The way it critiques (and basically is a fuck you to) the audience, several of the more violent scenes, the rewind scene, much of that was pretty fresh in 1997. It's also so nihilistic and doesn't even pretend to be anything but.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Alright just saw the Japanese film Grotesque. Probably the most lite on plot I have ever come across, turns out it didn't really need much of one anyway. There are things shown that had me wincing.. god damn but again I really expected much worse from what reviews I had read.

Not a date movie.

fake

15 Year Member
F9 - Hilariously bad. It's the second-worst of the series. My friends and I were cracking up in the theater. Hopefully we didn't bother the handful of other people there.