Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
It's true that they both suck, but one thing Snyder gets credit for is being the first guy to put a Batman in a live action scene where he actually looks impressive fighting.

Both directors are one-note, but Snyder has improved over time and Bay hasn't. Compare the fight scenes from 300 to his recent work and it's a night and day improvement.
It's like your one criteria to good directing is fight scenes.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Mortal Kombat

I didn't expect anything great. It failed to live up to the original one. Felt like it was rushed. CGI stuff was cool but that was to be expected. Could've been better as a series I feel.

They Could've dove into each character and actually have a tournament instead of a ganging up on each other. Looks like they want to keep it going but I just don't know. It was kind of a let down.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Mortal Kombat

I didn't expect anything great. It failed to live up to the original one. Felt like it was rushed. CGI stuff was cool but that was to be expected. Could've been better as a series I feel.

They Could've dove into each character and actually have a tournament instead of a ganging up on each other. Looks like they want to keep it going but I just don't know. It was kind of a let down.
Agreed on all counts.

And the biggest hype machine going for it was showing Scorpion, and homeboys in it for like 3 minutes lol. Who the fuck cares about Lewis Tan's character? Did they TRY to find an ugly Sonya again?

Materializing eye lazers. suits of armor and robotic arms as a "super power?" The fuck? Liu Kang's bicycle kick looks retarded even in 2021 lol

Kabal? Did anyone even play as Kabal? And if so did they play enough to warrant an appearance in the 2021 remake? 🤣 I did like the dude who played Kano though, plenty of chuckleworthy line deliveries.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Agreed on all counts.

And the biggest hype machine going for it was showing Scorpion, and homeboys in it for like 3 minutes lol. Who the fuck cares about Lewis Tan's character? Did they TRY to find an ugly Sonya again?

Materializing eye lazers. suits of armor and robotic arms as a "super power?" The fuck? Liu Kang's bicycle kick looks retarded even in 2021 lol

Kabal? Did anyone even play as Kabal? And if so did they play enough to warrant an appearance in the 2021 remake? 🤣 I did like the dude who played Kano though, plenty of chuckleworthy line deliveries.
Yea, it started ok with the old school Sub Zero and Scorpion feud and then it went to shit real quick. You could make a whole movie just focused on those two characters. I feel there is so much they could've done. Liu Kang was pretty much the star in the first MK and I felt in this one he was forgettable. I think the dude who played Kano was the best part of the movie. I also hate shit like when Shang Tsung pronounces characters names. Isn't there a better way to introduce these characters? A fight scene or something..

Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa was a much better Shang Tsung. Could they have made this new Shang Tsung's hair look anymore fake?

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
They should make a MK movie about the guy who has to clean the bottom of the Pit: how Shang Tsung doesn't appreciate him, he idolizes Goro (but can't get his autograph), and that Reptile was really his idea (he accidentally washed Subzero and Scorpions duds in the same load of laundry) but he doesn't get the credit. He's frustrated with his life and dreams of going postal but worries that his fatalities will be misinterpreted as friendships instead, tainting his legacy forever.

Just a random thought I had the other day: do you think John Tobias gets a royalty check whenever they use Saibot?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Yea, it started ok with the old school Sub Zero and Scorpion feud and then it went to shit real quick. You could make a whole movie just focused on those two characters. I feel there is so much they could've done. Liu Kang was pretty much the star in the first MK and I felt in this one he was forgettable. I think the dude who played Kano was the best part of the movie. I also hate shit like when Shang Tsung pronounces characters names. Isn't there a better way to introduce these characters? A fight scene or something..

Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa was a much better Shang Tsung. Could they have made this new Shang Tsung's hair look anymore fake?

I love Cary Hiroyuki. Loved him in Big Trouble in Little Tokyo. Did he pull out before he chopped off the junkie’s head? Someone should ask.

@M

20 Year Member
What stupid shit did M buy this time?: Glittery vampires edition.

IMG_20210424_145001264_50.jpgIMG_20210424_144924300_50.jpg
I think I may have peaked too early. I put a lot of time and effort (i.e., zero) into selecting movies for purchase that will consistently lower N-G.com members' opinion of me and have them questioning my sanity, and, alas, it's going to be nearly impossible for me to top Twilight. Where could I possibly go from there?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Oh for fucks sake.

Watched MK. It was exactly what I expected, dumb as shit, terrible acting, barley passable SFX and eye rollingly bad game references that were totally out of place. If you expected anything more you're delusional. This was always going to be a turd.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Someone needs to confiscate M's credit cards. And I'm starting to wonder if instead of working with the elderly, he's really a patient at some kind of voluntary self-check in mental institution.

And yeah, MK always looked like it was going to be garbage. I was hoping if I got my expectations low enough, I might enjoy it anyway. But it sounds like probably not. But Japan still doesn't even have a release date for it, so the point is moot.

@M

20 Year Member
Muppets From Space (1999)

I woke up this morning and realized how long it's been since I jacked off to Miss Piggy. Gonzo discovers who he really is and where he comes from in this film. Glorious 70s look/feel and soundtrack. My favorite parts were the opening Brick House musical montage and Gonzo's dream where Noah basically tells him to fuck off when he tries to board the Ark and gives him an umbrella for the flood instead. Cameo by Hollywood Hogan and Animal gets it on with a younger Kathy Griffin. Silly, cheesy Muppets action, but, I enjoyed it. Too much emphasis on the newer Rizzo the Rat and Pepe the Prawn characters though--I prefer the classic Muppets to those newcomers, but, Rizzo hanging out with the other lab rats was fun and he's kinda growing on me. I liked the bear secretary too. 8.0/10.0 stars

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I think people give the MK movies a pass (including the original which is nowhere NEAR as good as people seem to think it was) because MK is itself a loving homage to the sillier kung fu movies of the 70s and 80s. It's like a pastiche of a parody of a rip-off so why get so worked up when it sucks?

The new one is also bad and no amount of wink-and-nod references to the games can change that.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The first one is a shit movie but a perfect example of the time.

The new one is not only irrelevant but just plain bad. I was genuinely surprised to see praise from professional film reviews talking about it as if it isn't just a nostalgia grab reboot of something that was based on a crappy game series.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I think people give the MK movies a pass (including the original which is nowhere NEAR as good as people seem to think it was) because MK is itself a loving homage to the sillier kung fu movies of the 70s and 80s. It's like a pastiche of a parody of a rip-off so why get so worked up when it sucks?

The new one is also bad and no amount of wink-and-nod references to the games can change that.
How were Sub-Zero and Scorpion homages to 70s and 80s kung-fu? I've always wondered about what they're based on.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I think it's cool as hell I made an awesome thread about the Reptile reveal in the first movie and a few months later another MK movie comes out.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Saw Nobody tonight. Great fun flick. Not as mindless as Shootem Up, but still pretty insane and lots of crazy deaths.