Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Chappie - entertaining, but also flawed. Sharlto Copley was really good doing Chappie's VO, and Ninja and Yo-Landi were both actually really decent, too. A little too similar to District 9 (inferior, don't get me wrong), I know Blomkamp made both but dude, c'mon.

Friday the 13th Part 4: The Final Chapter - oh my, the ending was so bad. The basic setup was okay and executed fine (lots of dumb college-age getting killed by Jason), but that ending. Nonsensical and stupid. Corey Feldman was surprisingly good, no wonder he jumped ship before the next one. Sort of entertaining how certain rules are being established/followed, i.e. if you have sex or get naked, you should expect to die within the same reel. Oh, and through the first four (five, I guess, if you count it), Jason was really a pretty weak antagonist, downright boring (and kind of a pussy) in comparison to Michael Myers.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Chappie - entertaining, but also flawed. Sharlto Copley was really good doing Chappie's VO, and Ninja and Yo-Landi were both actually really decent, too. A little too similar to District 9 (inferior, don't get me wrong), I know Blomkamp made both but dude, c'mon.

Yeah, I had the same feeling. Sort of. I liked Ninja and Yolandi int he film but wasn't really down for their music, as it's not 2010 anymore.

The drama was overwrought too. District 9 was much more subtle.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Yeah, I had the same feeling. Sort of. I liked Ninja and Yolandi int he film but wasn't really down for their music, as it's not 2010 anymore.

The drama was overwrought too. District 9 was much more subtle.

I wanted, SO wanted, for Chappie to be great when I first saw it...but reading the reviews...yeah, not so much.

I really hope Blomkamp isn't on the director slide...District 9 was superb...Elysium was good...I've heard Chappie is just "meh"...I hope the upcoming Alien is "crappy"...

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Friday the 13th Part 4: The Final Chapter - oh my, the ending was so bad. The basic setup was okay and executed fine (lots of dumb college-age getting killed by Jason), but that ending. Nonsensical and stupid. Corey Feldman was surprisingly good, no wonder he jumped ship before the next one. Sort of entertaining how certain rules are being established/followed, i.e. if you have sex or get naked, you should expect to die within the same reel. Oh, and through the first four (five, I guess, if you count it), Jason was really a pretty weak antagonist, downright boring (and kind of a pussy) in comparison to Michael Myers.

Everything started going downhill after part 3.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
I wanted, SO wanted, for Chappie to be great when I first saw it...but reading the reviews...yeah, not so much.

I really hope Blomkamp isn't on the director slide...District 9 was superb...Elysium was good...I've heard Chappie is just "meh"...I hope the upcoming Alien is "crappy"...

Hmmmm...I can see that point... I liked Chappie though, you definitely have to go into it not expecting it to be like his previous work...this was more like Die Antwoord: The Movie with some comedic robot relief. Still entertaining though.

Now Jurassic World...I was disappointed. Didn't care for the charaters and felt the pacing was way off the mark for a monster movie...

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter

What the hell? Part 4 is the best one!!!!

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Didn't they decided at the last minute to go in completely different direction for Friday the 13th part 5?

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Didn't they decided at the last minute to go in completely different direction for Friday the 13th part 5?

Yeah, parts 1-4 go nicely together. Once Jason dies at the end of part 4 that is the end of 'living' Jason. Then they tried something different for 5, people didn't like it, so they resurrected him for 6.

Part 5 is actually a lot of fun, once you get past the lack of Jason it is probably one of the most re-watchable of the series.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Beyond the Reach - Oh my lord, this was terrible. Michael Douglas hunting a dude, basically a remake of The Most Dangerous Game, hell yeah I'll watch that. But no, this was basically just Michael Douglas following a dude around the desert waiting for him to die. The main character was awful, and the writing was utterly absurd. The ending managed to upstage everything else and be even more ridiculous. One of the worst movies I've seen, ever.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Saw "Nightcrawler" over the weekend. It was actually really good.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Gone Girl- Fichner delivers yet again. Nothing amazing but a solid, engaging and twisted mystery/thriller.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Spring - very unique romance/monster movie. Started off slow, but the story was really well done and the characters and dialogue were really good (the female lead made a nearly-bonkers premise seem almost believable). The ending was also pretty much perfect.

Recommended.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I went to see Jurassic World on the weekend and was actually really impressed. I was worried this was going to be awful from the moment I saw the first trailer. I thought the idea of them creating a new hybrid dinosaur sounded stupid and that Chris Pratt's character training the Raptors was ridiculous, but I shouldn't have worried, in the context of the film both of these plot points make sense. It's certainly not a perfect film, but I'd say it was pretty close to being a perfect sequel for a Jurassic Park fan. There were so many subtle (and not so subtle) nods to the original that I really enjoyed. I saw the first film on release when I was 9 years old, and it would be impossible for there to be a sequel that betters it, but as a fan of the film this sequel is almost as close as I could imagine.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
American Sniper- Pretty damn good as expected. Couple of shmaltzy mericuh/family moments also as expected.

10,000 B.C.- Raquel Welsh 1965, goddamn. Terrible movie.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
1990: Bronx Warriors

This trailer for the movie is my review. However you feel after watching this, that's what I thought of it.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I did.

The trailer is honestly all you need to see.

Also, the sequel is up on Youtube in its entirety.

The sequel was also an MST3k episode (Escape 2000, Episode 705). Wondered why it looked familiar. Shit is bad but like goofy bad.

I watched the Babadook and Furious 7 this weekend.

Furious 7 was... periodically I check in on the F&F movies to remind myself why I don't care for them and this one was no different. They keep getting more ridiculous (which I usually like) and they keep bringing on actors and actresses that I like (Statham, Tony Jaa and Kurt Fucking Russell this time) but I just can't get over the feeling that these are terrible B-movies with ludicrous budgets to cover up that fact. That people have turned this series in to like hipster "so bad they're great" movies puzzles me. I guess they've just outlasted their haters. At least they're better than the Transformers movies and the sendoff for Paul Walker was nice enough even if his CGI face actually looked like Leatherface wearing Paul Walker's creepy smiling face in places. You'd think for $200 million dollars or whatever they could go out of their way to have that not look like shit. Anyway, there's a place for big, stupid action movies but I guess I just prefer a different breed of stupid.

Babadook was pretty good. People have been hyping the crap out of it but it was genuinely effective at building tension and constantly has you guessing/wondering what's really going on. Wasn't thrilled with the ending (apparently a lot of folks weren't) but thinking about it for a while afterwards, I can appreciate what they were going for even if I would've preferred something a little more climactic and a little less metaphorical. I'd definitely recommend it to people who like minimalist, foreign horror movies that make you think a little. The kid could play Danny if they ever stupidly tried to remake The Shining again.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Sleepaway Camp - Campers and counselors getting killed at summer camp. That sounds a little familiar. But aside from clearly riffing on Friday the 13th for the premise, the Sleepaway Camp series is its own thing. The first one, in particular, is half insane and half amazing. Maybe both at the same time. Seriously, the ending. And the police officer's tape-mustache. Must-watch for any horror fan.

Sleepaway Camp 2 - And the series goes horror/comedy (well, more so). Pamela Springsteen (yes, Bruce's little sister) really, really commits to the role, which carries a much weaker movie, overall. Still entertaining, but can't really hold a candle to the first one.

Get Hard - Funny in the way that Will Ferrell doing r-rated comedy tends to be (though don't get me wrong, Step Brothers is way, way better). Funny but dumb. Real dumb. Lots of gay jokes. Also, I tend to like Kevin Hart in movies, but I detest his standup.

Pain and Gain (rewatch) - this held up well for me. It's easily Michael Bay's best movie, with two-ish very good performances at the center (Dwayne Johnson is really good, Mark Wahlberg is pretty good). So, so dark. This is one I'll go back to from time to time.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
The Crow: City Of Angels
-the only sequel I like. Why isn't Iggy Pop a gun toting psycho in more movies

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Ex Machina - Enjoyed it. Glad movies like this are still getting made. Will likely never watch it again. Oscar Isaac played a convincing eccentric douche.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The Town that Dreaded Sundown (2014 version) - sort of interesting remake of a 1976 horror movie (same name) based on a real case from 1946 (I think that's the right year). Nearly crossed the line of how much meta any movie can be and not be annoying. The ending wasn't very good- it was half deus ex machina, half yeah whatever bullshit.

Sort of fun to watch at the time (the murders were good and trying to guess the killer was alright), but not really any good on re-examination.