Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Saw Mad Max as well over the weekend.

It was good, but I thought it kind of fell flat. It didnt really have that "Mad Max" feel for me. Tom Hardy was great, and I like that he didn't really have a lot of dialog, but it sounded like he was trying to do a young Mel Gibson impression.

I got excited when I saw his car, but got sad when it got wrecked.

I laughed when Max grabbed the shotgun and it didnt work. Poor guy cant catch a break :lol:

Charlize Theron is still gorgeous, even when shes missing limbs and has no hair.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The Gambler: This was super weird. It seemed like the movie was trying to be about four different movies at the same time, with a (terribly executed) character study at the center. I think, even with what a complete prick/fuckup that Mark Wahlberg's main character is, the script and the director overestimate the audience's willingness to care. It's just full of bad characters making retarded decisions. Not recommended.

The Loft: Utterly trashy, misogynistic, and just plain silly at parts, but still entertaining as pulp. There are more red herrings thrown in here then I can remember in quite a while, but the final reveal is still done fairly well. Terribly stupid ending. Not recommended unless you're in the mood for trashy.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I saw Fury Road again this weekend (sans 3D this time as it really is an unnecessary distraction.).

i dont do 3d. this was actually one thing that really rubbed me the wrong way with this movie- one particular explosion at the end there was just a million cg parts flying at the camera and it felt super cartoony and completely out of place. It was just pandering to the 3d crowd, but it still didn't look good.

spoonz

Quiz Detective
Finally saw Kingsman and it was fucking awesome. The church scene was absolute madness, I think I'll take it in again this weekend.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
i dont do 3d. this was actually one thing that really rubbed me the wrong way with this movie- one particular explosion at the end there was just a million cg parts flying at the camera and it felt super cartoony and completely out of place. It was just pandering to the 3d crowd, but it still didn't look good.

Yeah, the scene were the steering wheel comes at the screen, it is dumb. That and the guitar flying out.

The only reason I saw it in 3D the first time was because it happened to be at a good time as opposed to the normal 2D screening.

I have yet to see 3D done well at a constant pace that adds to a film. At this point, it is just a way to sell more expensive tickets.

Last edited:

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member

I saw it in 3D and that shit looked like shit in 3D

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Best Buy had the Halloween 35th Anniversary Complete Collection (10 discs, 10 movies) for like $87 on Blu-Ray. Thus:

Halloween (rewatch)- Still the single best horror film ever made. There's just such a perfect sense of showing Micheal Myers, but basically teasing if he's there or if he'll do something. Perfect sense of tension.

Halloween II- I hadn't seen this before- it's not bad as far as horror movies go, but it throws out much of the best will he or won't he tension. I like the setting and Michael gets a little more defined, but certainly not as good as the original.

I watched the first half or so of Halloween III: Season of the Witch last night (finish it tonight). It's batshit crazy.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Best Buy had the Halloween 35th Anniversary Complete Collection (10 discs, 10 movies) for like $87 on Blu-Ray. Thus:

Halloween (rewatch)- Still the single best horror film ever made. There's just such a perfect sense of showing Micheal Myers, but basically teasing if he's there or if he'll do something. Perfect sense of tension.

Halloween II- I hadn't seen this before- it's not bad as far as horror movies go, but it throws out much of the best will he or won't he tension. I like the setting and Michael gets a little more defined, but certainly not as good as the original.

I watched the first half or so of Halloween III: Season of the Witch last night (finish it tonight). It's batshit crazy.

Turf turned me on to Halloween III.
Pretty good horror movie in the series for something unrelated to Michael Meyers.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Turf turned me on to Halloween III.
Pretty good horror movie in the series for something unrelated to Michael Meyers.

Yeah, I finished it last night. It's so different, obviously, from the others in the series, but it has some good points. It also has several characteristics that I think are terrible- the laughable instant relationship between Dr. Challis and Ellie (she was literally half his age and it shows), the insanely stupid bad guys (when Challis is sneaking around right before the end I felt like hey, this is just like Metal Gear, the guards are equally blind.

But it has some good scenes- the test group family scene is honestly really creepy and well-done. And Cochrane is a decent bad guy.

But holy hell was this the sum of disparate parts. Tying all the different bad guys/things together at the end was like, uh, okay. But it was kind of awesome. And the ending was good.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
I watched Mad Max: Fury Road 2 days ago without having ever seen another Mad Max movie in my life...that was apparently a mistake. I walked into the movie unknowing, and unwitting, and left the movie completely baffled. Action scenes were well done and it was a good minimalist story...but I think I just found that I'm not really a Mad Max fan. Maybe I'll watch the originals and find out what it's actually about. Seems like it definitely takes a different cinematic angle.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member

Halloween (rewatch)- Still the single best horror film ever made.
Well, best slasher horror film, anyway. Maybe best low-budget-independent-film-that-you-can't-tell-is-a-low-budget-movie ever made, too. But in terms of general horror, I might rank Carpenter's own The Thing above Halloween.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I watched Mad Max: Fury Road 2 days ago without having ever seen another Mad Max movie in my life...that was apparently a mistake. I walked into the movie unknowing, and unwitting, and left the movie completely baffled. Action scenes were well done and it was a good minimalist story...but I think I just found that I'm not really a Mad Max fan. Maybe I'll watch the originals and find out what it's actually about. Seems like it definitely takes a different cinematic angle.

They're not required. You really don't need anything more than what you're told at the beginning of Fury Road. The world went to shit and this is the end result. Max is a survivor in the wasteland looking for a cause.

Prologue over.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
They're not required. You really don't need anything more than what you're told at the beginning of Fury Road. The world went to shit and this is the end result. Max is a survivor in the wasteland looking for a cause.

Prologue over.

Yeah, I mean I could make sense of why they were doing what they were doing... but I felt that it was a unique enough universe that it could've used more narrative. I know that the lack of narrative is one of the compelling points of the series now, but I didn't going into it. Just part of what makes it different I guess.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member

Prologue over.
But all things being equal, would you recommend someone at least seeing Road Warrior first? I ask because Fury Road is finally coming out here on the 20th this month, and I've been getting the wife hyped for it, but I don't think she's seen any of them. Mad Max is so different from the second two it almost feels like a different series, and Thunderdome has no reason to exist, imo, other than giving us the great word 'Thunderdome'. But I kind of feel like she should see Road Warrior first.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
But all things being equal, would you recommend someone at least seeing Road Warrior first? I ask because Fury Road is finally coming out here on the 20th this month, and I've been getting the wife hyped for it, but I don't think she's seen any of them. Mad Max is so different from the second two it almost feels like a different series, and Thunderdome has no reason to exist, imo, other than giving us the great word 'Thunderdome'. But I kind of feel like she should see Road Warrior first.

If anything I would have said the original is the best one to watch before, just because it's Max's story, how he ended up the way he is. The Road Warrior is a better movie, IMO, but it has nothing that the prologue of Fury Road won't tell you.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member

Personally, I don't think so and here's why I believe that.

As a character in Fury Road, you're told everything you need to know about Max. He's a drifter, a survivor and clearly suffers from waking nightmares because of something that's happened in his past. That's all established early on.

The world of Road Warrior is so vastly different from the world of Mad Max in so many ways that it's like he's on another planet. So seeing the wasteland warrior culture of Road Warrior doesn't really help to provide any context because you pretty much get dropped right into that world at the beginning of Road Warrior. In Mad Max, there are diners, television, hospitals, a police force, etc. Then, in Road Warrior, there are wrecks on the road, homoerotic mohawk biker boys, dune buggies tricked out with nitrous and a refinery in the middle of nowhere walled with tin foil, tires and a school bus for the gate. It's a foreign place and Road Warrior just expects you to roll with it.

Fury Road is pretty much the same way. It just gives you the basic context for Max, just like Road Warrior did, and drops you into the world.

I think people that feel they need to 'see' the previous movies are sort of missing the point. This isn't a continuous series and Max isn't really the main character in any of the movies (except for the first one), even though he's the hero in the end. These are just adventures he's been in, told through the filter of the times in the movie industry. Each one is separate and stands on its own.

I mean, your wife SHOULD see Road Warrior because it's an awesome fucking movie. But I don't believe it's required to enjoy Fury Road.

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Well, best slasher horror film, anyway. Maybe best low-budget-independent-film-that-you-can't-tell-is-a-low-budget-movie ever made, too. But in terms of general horror, I might rank Carpenter's own The Thing above Halloween.
I agree that The Thing is a better movie, I'm just not sure I'd call it a horror movie. That argument could be made, though, and yeah, it would rank as the best if so.

Watched:
Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers- I like how for the subtitle of this one, they're like "we're sorry about 3, here's Michael Myers again." It's pretty decent, IMO, Michael is plenty threatening, and Donald Pleasance is great as always. The ending borders on absurd, though.

Friday the 13th Part 2- Kind of a shock to the system going from Halloween to Friday the Thirteenth. This one, in particular, copycats the "show the villain's viewpoint" from Halloween so much it's almost distracting. The overall setup and execution are well-done, though, and it's interesting to see Jason as something other than the massive, hockey-masked beast that he becomes later.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
San Andreas - possibly the closest we'll ever come to getting Raw Danger: The Movie.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Wes Craven's New Nightmare- I'd seen little pieces of this here and there on cable, finally saw it was on Netflix and went hey, I should watch that. It's generally held up as one of the better movies in the Nightmare on Elm Street series... Which I couldn't believe once I started watching it. It's terrible. Beyond terrible. The characters seem out of place- Heather Langenkamp doesn't seem remotely believable playing herself, which is pretty impressive. And oh my lord, the kid that plays Dylan. He's just beyond bad, every scene he's in is horrid. Same kid that played Gage in Pet Semetary. Maybe the single worst child actor I've ever seen. Shitty movie.

Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers- Sort of an interesting contrast- a little kid is the main character in this, and the actress (Danielle Harris) is really good. It's not her fault that the storyline makes zero sense and never really goes anywhere. The primary idea seemed to be, um, Loomis is bonkers and there are a bunch of really, REALLY stupid teenagers. Oh, and Michael's niece runs away from him. That's it. The ending clearly sets things up for H6. Oh, and Michael drives cars frequently here. Something about that seems, I dunno, hilarious and retarded at the same time.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Finally saw Interstellar...finally.

Personally, I really enjoyed the film. Sure, it had its flaws, but I found the overall irony to be amusing (or, at least what I found in the film that was ironic). The special effects were amazing and I was amazed by the TARS robot the entire time...what an awesome design and concept.

In the end, I found it to be highly enjoyable...flawed, but definitely good to watch. It was one of the few times I really wish I had my old home theater system, I bet this film would have put it to the test.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers- the last of the "proper" sequels (H20, Resurrection, and the Zombie entries are... different). As far as this one, damn. It's all over the map, pretty much. The story tries to tie Michael's origin story into cults, sacrifices, etc, and it really doesn't work very well. Honestly, the story is hardly coherent at all. Luckily, the individual scenes work well- there's a better sense of "scary killer lurking in the dark" then probably anything in the series between it and the original. Also sort of interesting is that Paul Rudd was in it, on an "and introducing" acting credit (he was terrible, though his part wasn't written well at all).

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
saw jurassic world tonight. i cant comment at length on movies since basically the only genres i enjoy are shitty horror movies and 80's movies, but it was ok. worth seeing once, doubt i will ever watch it again. also, first time seeing a movie in 3D for me. not impressed honestly.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
I myself thought Jurassic world was amazing , but the film did not have to be made in 3D, I wish I had gone to a 2D showing but it was the only time I could see it,

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Let Us Prey - Weird Irish horror movie. Rookie cop on her first night in a new station ends up with bad partners and some scary dudes in lockup. One in particular is super calm and knows everyone without having met them before.

Overall, the movie had some major plot issues (the ending was ridiculous), but the last act was so insane (mainly due to one character) that it redeemed things.

The Pyramid - Yeah, there's probably a reason this is at like 9% positive on RT. The basic tropes were done competently (trapped in enclosed spaces tropes, I mean), but the reveal as to the villain and the villain itself were laughable. Bad, overall.