How much is enough in life?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I look at the current movement to forgive student loans and think “why did I pay mine off, at all?” And for the people who didn’t go to school because they couldn’t afford it and didn’t feel comfortable taking on the private loans to compliment the federal assistance, how do we rectify that?

There are two problems with the student loans.
- we should not be giving students loans that are larger than most mortgages.
- we need to address the fact that tuition has increased over 1000% compared to inflation

I am well aware that my student loans were a completely different situation than students of the last 10 years. My tuition was fair, reasonable, and affordable. I don't compare the two experiences at all.
The problem is forgiving loans doesn't resolve ANY of the contributing factors. Students will still be required to take out massive loans as long as the universities keep charging excessive rates. It's infuriating to see universities pretend to be broke during covid because their sports teams are not generating revenue. The sports teams are glorified advertising and marketing arms of the schools. They are drunk with money due to the government handing out these massive student loans.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
The problem is forgiving loans doesn't resolve ANY of the contributing factors. Students will still be required to take out massive loans as long as the universities keep charging excessive rates. It's infuriating to see universities pretend to be broke during covid because their sports teams are not generating revenue. The sports teams are glorified advertising and marketing arms of the schools. They are drunk with money due to the government handing out these massive student loans.

I don't know the situation in your state, but this doesn't describe what happens in Arizona.
https://wpcarey.asu.edu/sites/default/files/higheredfund10-16.pdf
The state government has been cutting public funding for decades now, and the tuition increases are barely keeping up with that loss.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I don't know the situation in your state, but this doesn't describe what happens in Arizona.
https://wpcarey.asu.edu/sites/default/files/higheredfund10-16.pdf
The state government has been cutting public funding for decades now, and the tuition increases are barely keeping up with that loss.

I'll have to read that later, but I'm quite suspicious when you see it happening nationally. Plus this is a paper from the same university claiming to need more money.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I look at the current movement to forgive student loans and think “why did I pay mine off, at all?” And for the people who didn’t go to school because they couldn’t afford it and didn’t feel comfortable taking on the private loans to compliment the federal assistance, how do we rectify that?

Forgive the loans and make public colleges tuition free.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Forgive the loans and make public colleges tuition free.

How about I get back my loan payments?

I ain’t paying into a pyramid scheme that I’m not getting a taste of.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Unlike other industries, colleges can't shrink thier costs easily. So the cost of tuition has increased much more than so-called "inflation".

Last edited:

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Unlike other industries, colleges can't shrink thier costs easily. So the cost of tuition has increased much more than so-called "inflation".

I mean, there is just no way that this isn't sarcasm, right?

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Bloated executive salaries, ridiculous degree programs that provide students with no functional job skills, constant unnecessary construction and renovation, out-of-control spending on athletics programs (football and men's basketball at least generate revenue but that golden goose will eventually get cooked).

Just a few places to start.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The "ridiculous Degree programs" actually are way cheaper than the STEM fields since hiring faculty for those roles don't have to compete with those fields.

If you want someone to "teach" engineering, you have to pay them what they would make as an Engineer.

Mr.Bojangles

War Room Troll
I give my wife sometimes way more than I'm able to. I love her, and she is worth every cent I spend on her. Honestly, she deserves more, but she is happily content loving me who's she's claimed is the absolute love of her life. She told me a long time ago, that if she wanted to marry someone solely for money, she could have done that. Instead she said she chose the man that truly makes her happy, money or not. Someone who will love her in good times and in bad. Someone who would lay down their life for hers if need be. She said I was all the man she ever needed and wanted, and that's when i knew i found my soulmate. There isnt a day that goes by, that I'm not grateful to have her by my side.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I give my wife sometimes way more than I'm able to. I love her, and she is worth every cent I spend on her. Honestly, she deserves more, but she is happily content loving me who's she's claimed is the absolute love of her life. She told me a long time ago, that if she wanted to marry someone solely for money, she could have done that. Instead she said she chose the man that truly makes her happy, money or not. Someone who will love her in good times and in bad. Someone who would lay down their life for hers if need be. She said I was all the man she ever needed and wanted, and that's when i knew i found my soulmate. There isnt a day that goes by, that I'm not grateful to have her by my side.

Post nude pics of her. If she truly loves you then she won’t mind.

Mr.Bojangles

War Room Troll
Post nude pics of her. If she truly loves you then she won’t mind.

This isnt the first time I've seen you respond to this. I will always think of you as the guy with an unquenchable thirst for nudes haha. Sorry though pal, wife's off limits.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I would be so happy to make $100,000 a year. If I could do that, I would be so happy that I would start a family.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
It really depends on where you live.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’d be interested to know where you’d be struggling to get by on $100,000 a year, particularly if you were willing to commute.

Respectfully, that amount of money is very well to do upper class in most of the rest of the world.

America is ducking crazy tho, so...

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I was just talking about this the other day with a bunch of friends. I would probably stick around in Oklahoma since I've already been here long enough to not care. The cost of living is really cheap. You can get one of those "life style of the rich and famous" houses where I live for like 400-600k, but even then I'd probably go for something a bit cheaper, but nice. So maybe 1mil? 1.5mil if I'm greedy. I've learned to live with a lot less. After getting a nice house, I'd really only need money to "live", which isn't a lot, and maybe travel here and there. The older I get, the less I need. I definitely wouldn't be doing stupid shit like buying Neo Geo homecarts like I'd probably answer if you asked me when I was 20.