Firearm enthusiast thread

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
My favorite modern rifle I own is my black FN scar 17s with Elcan 1x-4x . I also love my ww2 rifles and pistols like my matching German k98k Mauser byf44 with lamented stock and my 1944 Mauser banner k98k kkw hitler youth training rifle 22lr only 500 made.( that one might be the jewel of my collection)

What is your favorite gun you sold that you regret? I sold my first ever handgun a 1978 6 inch royal blue colt python. I wish I could get that one back! F9918BC9-BD67-47E2-AA94-3F7DA2E4B673.jpeg

Attachments

• 9DDD8CDB-8C5F-42FE-8658-7C3961AEF2E9.jpeg
    9DDD8CDB-8C5F-42FE-8658-7C3961AEF2E9.jpeg
    705.8 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
My favorite modern rifle I own is my black FN scar 17s with Elcan 1x-4x . I also love my ww2 rifles and pistols like my matching German k98k Mauser byf44 with lamented stock and my 1944 Mauser banner k98k kkw hitler youth training rifle 22lr only 500 made.( that one might be the jewel of my collection)

What is your favorite gun you sold that you regret? I sold my first ever handgun a 1978 6 inch royal blue colt python. I wish I could get that one back!

LAR Grizzly Win Mag in 50AE. Sold it in 2008, we can all guess why.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
CA is fucked mate.

We have to get a background check to get ammo now. It’s possibly the most egregious burden on our right currently. The other stuff is bad, but this is the worst.

I don’t shoot much anymore, but when this is over I need to buy at least a box of ammo a month.

I still have a decent amount of 7n6 ��

LAX AMMO still has stock, you have to physical go there though.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
no luck in getting ammo anywhere...

what's the general rule in how much ammo you should have?

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member

If you're in the L.A area than LAX AMMO. But it is really too late in the here and now. I for example bought $100 worth of ammo every pay check. Don't know about others but I have 4,000 rounds each for 5 calibers. Luckily I picked up a 9mm for actual defense as my others are wall hangars.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

Eh...that's up to you, really, and it depends on what you want to do with it.

I like to have a case in store for most of my common firearms...so 1000 rounds in an ammo can that I never touch. 9mm and 223 are primarily the two I'll do this for.

For shooting? It also depends. 22LR is easy to buy and store so I'll keep a good 3-5000 of them around.

Defensive ammo? Well, that's a different story. It ain't cheap, so I don't keep close to 1000 rounds for it.

I try to keep my ammo types to a minimum. I currently have 9mm, 223/5.56, 12ga, 22LR, 38 spcl, and 44 magnum. I purposely do not buy all kinds of firearms with all kinds of ammo that way I don't have to stock up on it.

What is your favorite gun you sold that you regret? I sold my first ever handgun a 1978 6 inch royal blue colt python.

Pretty much just one.

This was the first firearm I ever bought. It was an old, well loved Charter Arms Undercover. It was an old cop's boot gun for a very long time, had plenty of holster wear. I picked it up for $140...never once shot it before I traded it off a few years later. I wish I had that one back. It wasn't rare, or valuable...but it was my first firearm. I wish I still had it.

sdUhuN4.jpg

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I have thousands of 22 ammo laying around somewhere. It's part of why I love 22s.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I have thousands of 22 ammo laying around somewhere. It's part of why I love 22s.

They're easy to shoot...and super cheap.

People who don't shoot much will often ask me why I'd want 3000+ rounds of 22LR...then I'll tell them I can burn through a 500 box in a range session. If you've ever shot steel with it, it's extremely fun.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

People who don't shoot much will often ask me why I'd want 3000+ rounds of 22LR...then I'll tell them I can burn through a 500 box in a range session. If you've ever shot steel with it, it's extremely fun.

If I lived on a farm away from old chicken heads (impossible around here), I would be able to plink to my hearts content. I tried to do this at my uncle's farm years back and some old cow complained about the noise. Whatever. TBH I wasn't just using a 22 but also a 9mm carbine, a USP 45. I think the 45 was probably the cause of complaint.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member

Seriously. I'd try to limit myself to a 325 box per trip, but that often didn't work. Lol.

My buddy and i would get the paper targets that came with extra dots. Then I'd print out battle ship type pages or character pictures etc...and we'd have 10 shot contests.
That was easy to conserve with...

The not so easy part was that our range had a sand hill that we could set clays on, but then you'd shoot the broken pieces, and then those broken pieces and pretty soon, I'd be opening another box.

On Ammoseek i could get 10 of my boxes for about 175 shipped, 3250 rounds. Now i have to go find an ffl middle man :(

Last edited:

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member

1,000 rounds minimum is a good rule for self defense guns. I’ve got around 4,000 5.56 rounds and another 2,500 308 rounds While handgun rounds I keep around 1,000 for 9mm and 45acp. Now if we are talking about a odd caliber fun gun like my ww2 8mm German Mauser then 100 rounds Is a good start for those type of guns that really don’t have a use other then they are cool to own and shoot for enjoyment purposes only.

Smokehouse I know what you mean about your first gun! they have more then just monetary value also the memories and sentimental value! I bet you cherished that old revolver for a long time as your first gun. Too bad you never got to shoot it.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Figuring that I'm bored...and that I don't have much to talk about, I might as well share where I may be heading next in my shooting life.

I have various firearms with various roles and have kicked around where to go next. There have been a few options but two keep popping up again and again. With all of this going on, my finances are on hold, so I won't make a move on either of these anytime soon...but, with that said:

Either Henry Big boy H012RCC, which is the case hardened carbine, 16.5" barrel model. Why? Well...I've always wanted a lever action, I'm knuckle deep in 44 with the reloading I do and the firearms I already have...and...did I mention that lever actions are really cool? My buddy recently bought the same one, but in 38/357 and man, is it nice. I will say that with my eyes going to poo...I'd probably mount a simple red dot to it. I don't think I'd need a scope.

Magnum Research 10" Bisley BFR in 460 S&W. Yeah...I know...silly dumb. First off, I love reloading and the large revolver calibers take to reloading like a fish to water. They make these in 30/30, 444 Marlin, 450 Marlin, 45-70, 460 S&W, and 500 S&W. 30/30 is out as I don't want to reload it, I had really considered 444 but the kinds of projectiles available to load are really limited. 500 is just too much to handle so that leaves me with 450 Marlin, 45-70, and 460. The 450 and 45-70 are both capable of the super heavy loads...but they take a massive powder charge to accomplish that and in all honesty, they're both made for rifles. 460 was made for revolvers, has a massively wide range of projectiles given that nearly any 45 colt or 454 casull bullet will work, and accomplishes insanely high velocities form a 10" barrel.

Either way, want to stretch my bench revolver shooting and the BFR is a rock solid platform to play with...

I'll say that at the moment...I'm leaning heavily towards the BFR.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
Figuring that I'm bored...and that I don't have much to talk about, I might as well share where I may be heading next in my shooting life.

I have various firearms with various roles and have kicked around where to go next. There have been a few options but two keep popping up again and again. With all of this going on, my finances are on hold, so I won't make a move on either of these anytime soon...but, with that said:

Either Henry Big boy H012RCC, which is the case hardened carbine, 16.5" barrel model. Why? Well...I've always wanted a lever action, I'm knuckle deep in 44 with the reloading I do and the firearms I already have...and...did I mention that lever actions are really cool? My buddy recently bought the same one, but in 38/357 and man, is it nice. I will say that with my eyes going to poo...I'd probably mount a simple red dot to it. I don't think I'd need a scope.

Magnum Research 10" Bisley BFR in 460 S&W. Yeah...I know...silly dumb. First off, I love reloading and the large revolver calibers take to reloading like a fish to water. They make these in 30/30, 444 Marlin, 450 Marlin, 45-70, 460 S&W, and 500 S&W. 30/30 is out as I don't want to reload it, I had really considered 444 but the kinds of projectiles available to load are really limited. 500 is just too much to handle so that leaves me with 450 Marlin, 45-70, and 460. The 450 and 45-70 are both capable of the super heavy loads...but they take a massive powder charge to accomplish that and in all honesty, they're both made for rifles. 460 was made for revolvers, has a massively wide range of projectiles given that nearly any 45 colt or 454 casull bullet will work, and accomplishes insanely high velocities form a 10" barrel.

Either way, want to stretch my bench revolver shooting and the BFR is a rock solid platform to play with...

I'll say that at the moment...I'm leaning heavily towards the BFR.

I love the aesthetic of lever guns...
something about the action just seems sexy as fuck.

But sounds like you are already sold on the revolver.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member

I have a 336c Marlin made in 1951 (if I read the serial right).
Almost no finish left on it but still runs like a champion.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

It will be the first thing I get...but eventually, I'll get both. They're two of the last firearms on my "list".

About the only thing left is a nice Savage in 17 HMR so I can go pop 1 holes at 100 yds and possibly some other bolt action in a heavier caliber than 223.

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
I wish Henry or Marlin stepped up and offered a .460 chambering. That's my ideal leavergun, but it will have to wait for now. BHA can eat a dick along with their price tags.

Reloading .460 seems like it could be really fun especially if you introduced 18”-22” barrels.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I wish Henry or Marlin stepped up and offered a .460 chambering. That's my ideal leavergun, but it will have to wait for now. BHA can eat a dick along with their price tags.

Reloading .460 seems like it could be really fun especially if you introduced 18”-22” barrels.

I wonder what .460 would do from long barrels, or if you'd need to load it differently. Many .460 and .500 loads take H110 powder...which is a relatively fast burning powder. Not super fast, but much faster then many rifle powders. H110 is good for some massive fireballs and loud boomers in 44 magnum, I know that for sure.

The 444, 450, and 45-70 often take much slower burning powders. Not 223 slow, but much sower than H110. When I was researching the BFR, finding loads for relatively short 10.5" barrel wasn't the easiest. This is part of the reason why I will probably go with the .460.

...and yes, those Big Horn lever actions are really nice...but the price, ouch. Kind of like Freedom Arms single action revolvers...

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
COVID-19 Behavioral Enforcer

My newest COVID-19 Behavioral Enforcer

Mossy.jpg

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
My newest COVID-19 Behavioral Enforcer

View attachment 56120

Ouch. Man, those pistol grip only shotguns can really beat on your wrist. That's a lot of power in a small package though.

For years, I had a Stoeger SxS 12ga by the bed...traded it off a few years ago.

I don't have anything at bedside anymore...been contemplating possibly looking at one of these at some time or another.

https://www.remington.com/other-products/v3-tac-13

Possibly one day...who knows.

Either way, I took out that FN TPS I have a few weeks ago for the first time in I really don't know how long, easily years. The thing is insanely destructive...I can't get over how much power that thing has in a fairly light package. People that want to talk about the damage an AR can cause must have never seen what 8 rounds of 00 buck can do.

*EDIT*

It's been forever since I took a pic of the thing...so here you go:
kKSxe6Fh.jpg

I had to put that limbsaver on it...the recoil from the thing was freaking miserable. My reason for busting it out was that I popped on a red dot I had sitting around unused. It really works well with that shotgun.

Last edited:

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
Nice guns! That Remington is badass! Yeah, not having a stock on that Mossberg is murder, but I didn't get it for sport shooting, and I can always add a stock. I got this thing to kill people in the middle of the night.

Your FN is sick!

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

Phillip Luty approves :buttrock:

Not sure if any of you guys follow 3D printed arms design. This purports to use no regulated firearm components (though possible triggers could be - in the US they aren’t) - rest of the non printed hardware seems pretty generic.

Last edited:

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
As soon as the ATF deems a receiver more than 80% completed it’s considered a firearm.

I remember there was a big stink about a guy manufacturing aluminum and polymer 80% lowers.
The ATF didn’t like how the average shmuck could finish the poly lowers with basic tools very easily, so they deemed the poly receivers firearms. This guy was just a machinist without a FFL so they raided his ass and confiscated his supply.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
As soon as the ATF deems a receiver more than 80% completed it’s considered a firearm.

I remember there was a big stink about a guy manufacturing aluminum and polymer 80% lowers.
The ATF didn’t like how the average shmuck could finish the poly lowers with basic tools very easily, so they deemed the poly receivers firearms. This guy was just a machinist without a FFL so they raided his ass and confiscated his supply.

While I am a full supporter of US citizens and their firearm rights...there's also a line where one should know not to poke the skunk. The ATF, as unconstitutional as it is, has a LONG history of banning things after they state it is ok and people caught up in the mix are often in a heap of legal troubles.

I sw in that video someone using a trigger crank...which are 100% illegal anywhere and have been for a long time. Not a smart move to make such a thing and then post videos.

All these "patriots" are going to do is provoke the ATF into banning anything that is home made...and then some other things. I'd expect aftermarket parts to get caught in the mix if it gets ugly enough.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

I’m not understanding what you’re getting at.

The FGC-9 absolutely is a firearm. It appears you can make one without any (or minimal) parts associated with firearms, which is the point: especially in countries where things like barrels and bolts are regulated. In Europe many countries regulate the pressure bearing components. In America the part of the gun that is the “firearm” usually is what holds the fire control group (though it’s up to the ATF at the end of the day.)