Final Vendetta next Neo game from Bitmap Bureau!

mhell06

n00b
Doesn't look half-bad actually.

Better than Paprium that's for sure.

When is the Neo-Geo version supposed to come out? I only see modern consoles mentioned in that trailer.
They reconfirmed the Neo Geo version on their facebook page. Didn't see any date. Mega Drive version seemed unlikely.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Looks pretty solid and fun.

I don't know about Neo-Geo cart price level fun though.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Yeah I was quite impressed and the humour was sort of there in typical indie game fashion. Which is alright but bordering on generic.
If they make a Neo version, and even though they have apparelntly reconfirmed it, I doubt they will - it will be cut back from what was on display in that reveal trailer

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
If they can make it look a bit more like a Neo-Geo game, and make it play like a Neo-Geo game, then this could be the belt-scroller the system has always desperately deserved imo.

Burning Fight had the chance, but the gameplay is lazy and the main character sprites are terrible (badly drawn, poorly animated). Some fanatastic backgrounds though... a real missed opportunity.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
If they can make it look a bit more like a Neo-Geo game, and make it play like a Neo-Geo game, then this could be the belt-scroller the system has always desperately deserved imo.

Burning Fight had the chance, but the gameplay is lazy and the main character sprites are terrible (badly drawn, poorly animated). Some fanatastic backgrounds though... a real missed opportunity.
It's a bit warped imo, what you conclude. The Neo died a decade ago. These are zombie titles. Neo Geo died lacking a decent belt scroller

doaal

Marked Wolf
It's cool to see a homebrew dev that has the capital to work on projects full time. Usually the wait between titles with other groups is years.

The graphics and number of animation frames are really impressive. I wonder if the Neo version is going to be downgraded.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
It's a bit warped imo, what you conclude. The Neo died a decade ago. These are zombie titles. Neo Geo died lacking a decent belt scroller

Ha, the neo died decades ago. 20 years ago imo... the Playmore stuff, I could well use your own description of "zombie titles" - they were either lazily / hastily assembled like a Frankenstein's monster, or released half-finished.

Yes, the Neo did die during its contemporary run with no decent belt scroller, I agree. But if someone brings one out now, well better late than never I guess... and I'm no cheer leader for the Neo-Geo indie scene, by any stretch of the imagination!

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
A decade? Two decades bro :D.
I really love the sprites of xenocrisis and battle axe. Both done by dutch god Henk Nieborg. But I'm not really digging these final vendetta sprites. Maybe it looks better on SD CRT then in HD. We'll wait and see.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
It's cool to see a homebrew dev that has the capital to work on projects full time. Usually the wait between titles with other groups is years.

The graphics and number of animation frames are really impressive. I wonder if the Neo version is going to be downgraded.
Not homebrew dev... just dev. The XBOX/PS/Switch releases seem pretty official to me.
Fair enough that they started doing a genesis game, but yeah they have the capital because they now have a real business in games instead of amateurishly handling overpriced Neo-Geo cartridges exclusively. The "homebrew" part is pretty much a plus done out of passion.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member

Just curious @Tarma - when you say "look a bit more like a Neo-Geo game..." what are you expecting? I contest that classic SNK had a "look." Even across franchises that had pretty different art direction overall. A fan could still tell an SNK game apart at a glance. Their artists had some weird cohesive magic going on behind the scenes.

I'm a bit meh on this one, really. It looks fine - but retro-style brawlers, like Metroidvanias, are the darling of the indie scene right now and I'm kinda over it. Visually, it looks a bit like a Playmore era Noise Factory game - the sprites and use of color hue pretty close to Rage of the Dragons/Matrimelee without the anime influence. Never been a fan of the Noise Factory developed games (although their sound design is usually on point).

I'll give it a shot, though - especially if it gets a Neo release. I wasn't a huge fan of Xenocrisis but I get the hook and glad it found its way to the platform.

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
Just curious @Tarma - when you say "look a bit more like a Neo-Geo game..." what are you expecting? I contest that classic SNK had a "look." Even across franchises that had pretty different art direction overall. A fan could still tell an SNK game apart at a glance. Their artists had some weird cohesive magic going on behind the scenes.

This comment is spot on, for some reason no one is able to replicate the feel of SNK games after 2000. Even NGDEV's most recent effort (Kraut Buster) doesn't come close.

gameofyou

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
Looks pretty solid and fun.

I don't know about Neo-Geo cart price level fun though.
You will probably be able to just buy the rom, if you don’t want to pay for a cart. That’s what they did with Xeno Crisis anyway.

Johnny16Bit

Camel Slug
Visually, it looks a bit like a Playmore era Noise Factory game - the sprites and use of color hue pretty close to Rage of the Dragons/Matrimelee without the anime influence. Never been a fan of the Noise Factory developed games (although their sound design is usually on point).

Yeah, I was thinking the same. We're talking about a simple trailer from modern versions of course... but I'm afraid of the Sengoku 3 syndrome: nicely done, enjoyable, but doesn't look or play like a 90's 16bit game, and overall doesn't feel like it belongs where its name made you expect.
Still, I want to see more, and on a CRT! :)

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
Not homebrew dev... just dev. The XBOX/PS/Switch releases seem pretty official to me.
Fair enough that they started doing a genesis game, but yeah they have the capital because they now have a real business in games instead of amateurishly handling overpriced Neo-Geo cartridges exclusively. The "homebrew" part is pretty much a plus done out of passion.
Yep their definetly not homebrewers. The pixel artists has worked on the MD classic Flink and on PSX on the Adventures of Lomax. The programmers worked on 99 Vidas before starting with xenocrisis. I think they were hoping that they would be doing retro games only in the future. But they probably make more from the modern digital releases.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Oh, no doubt. And I agree with @vincewy that for, whatever the reason, post 2K Neo-Geo releases have not had the same feel to them as the "classic" era of SNK/Neo-Geo.

The indie stuff, to-date, imo, and especially anything by ngdev, has looked nothing like a Neo-Geo game... looks like stuff that would be more at home on a PC.

To the original point, I think it needs to look like it was created with 68k and not with modern hardware. If you look at the Megadrive indie scene, many of the games still look as if they could have come out in the mid-90s... I can't say that about any of the indie stuff released on the Neo-Geo to date.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
The only thing ,well not the only thing but if Burning Fight had Final Fight combat sound effects,it would improve the game.
I don't know if anybody is familiar with After the War on Amiga but I expect stuff with that atmosphere..I want junkies with needles sticking out of their arms coming at you,thugs shooting handguns and pimps attacking you with switch blades,Jason mask coming at you with chainsaw,etc
BB

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Doesn't look half-bad actually.

Better than Paprium that's for sure.

When is the Neo-Geo version supposed to come out? I only see modern consoles mentioned in that trailer.
That's what my thoughts were. It looks somewhat good considering all the shit-burgers I've seen recently.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I can't believe Haggar was a flash in the pan, grappler characters have never been worth shit outside of Final Fight 1989. Everything else derives from Double Dragon and has been done competently over and over.
In this offering the moves shown seem mostly goofy, probably pointless gameplay-wise. The should have copy pasted Haggar and been done with it

Last edited:

KGRAMR

Another Striker
It doesn't look bad. I hope Bitmap Bureau ships the Neo Geo version without flaws. I hate seeing people getting ripped off with a game that has some major flaws, specially at the asking price they were charging for Xeno Crisis.