Exa-arcadia, the new neo geo?

FTL

AES Price Guide Analyst, International Moderator,
Staff member
Any opinon or impression about exa arcadia first games line up?

Some shooters seem cool and even sunsoft is making a game for the system.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
At that price I ain't touching this with a ten foot pole.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Neo-Neo-Geo? Hardly, lol. That's just yet another arcade board (and probably some filthy x86-64 PC board at that).

edit: to be quite honest I'm warming up to the idea after reading more about it. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
At that price I ain't touching this with a ten foot pole.

Exactly.

I wouldn't consider this the next Neo-Geo, since the Neo-Geo was relatively affordable. The Atomiswave had the potential to be the next Neo-Geo, but just didn't see the support (though I doubt any arcade hardware will have the longevity of the MVS platform, it would certainly have to be less expensive).

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
The price is because it's for operators not home use. Let's not forget that MVS kits were in the 7-1000 range for ops back in the day. We'll see what happens second hand.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
The price is because it's for operators not home use. Let's not forget that MVS kits were in the 7-1000 range for ops back in the day. We'll see what happens second hand.

Yeah, but still, imagine paying close to 5k to play this:
466110_screenshots_20180208191401_1-1024x576.jpg

:lolz:

Last edited:

FTL

Staff member

Exactly. The system is even cart based.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Yeah, but still, imagine playing close to 5k to play this:
466110_screenshots_20180208191401_1-1024x576.jpg

:lolz:

Yea some of the titles aren't really catching me. But, from what I understand, Steam is not a big thing in Japan, so these titles are just filler. Even Aka to Blue started as a mobile game and I think that's their biggest game.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior

IIRC back in the days you didn't actually "buy" the cab/game, but you rented it and paid royalties on each quarter the machine got which, some people say, it's what caused the premature demise of many arcade businesses.

Exa's business plan seems way more profitable than the ones back in the days.

EDIT: profitable from an arcade operator point of view.

sirlynxalot

Raiden's Valet
Fagit of the Year
The EXA platform operates off of a specially designed and secure PC platform. Features include:

Comparable in power to the Playstation 4 Pro or Xbox One X game consoles.
JAMMA compatible using the JVS I/O standard.
Compatible with both 16:9 LCD and 4:3 CRT monitors.
Can hold up to four game cartridges
No internet is required to use the EXA board – once you buy the platform and the game kit, it is yours. There is no need to connect it to the internet to access your game content, nor worry about sharing revenues with a manufacturer or even a distributor like Primetime Amusements.

https://primetimeamusements.com/exa-arcadia-all-you-need-to-know/

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
IIRC back in the days you didn't actually "buy" the cab/game, but you rented it and paid royalties on each quarter the machine got which, some people say, it's what caused the premature demise of many arcade businesses.

Exa's business plan seems way more profitable than the ones back in the days.

EDIT: profitable from an arcade operator point of view.

There was an option to rent from "distributor operators", but back home, there were three arcades and they bought their machines so it was all profit. But mini Marts had to rent them.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Those watermelons look so real!!!

I’m sold!!!

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
Some of the shooters look great, Blazing Chrome and Infino's Exa stand out. Fighter wise, Axel City 2 looks OK. I could see SNK putting the new Samuari Shodown on there, possibly one of the 3D KOF's. I think it would be too much to hope for some 2D SNK stuff.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
There was an option to rent from "distributor operators", but back home, there were three arcades and they bought their machines so it was all profit. But mini Marts had to rent them.

Interesting, never knew you could buy the actual cabs. Guess that for small places it was more profitable renting the cabs rather than buying them upfront.

ULTRA 4TH GEN

Armored Scrum Object
An extremely expensive product. The content offered does not justify that disbursement of money.

FTL

Staff member
This thread should probably be merged into the existing one in the right sub-forum, as it has nothing to do with SNK.

the news section is for threads pertaining neo geo, not only snk.

exa arcadia could be a new neo geo and shares some features of the snk mvs machine.

ULTRA 4TH GEN

Armored Scrum Object
????:lolz:
SUPER NINTENDO games are antiques and jewels, they are products of a time that will no longer return. That's why so many people collect them. They have a demand that does not stop growing, and their prices are skyrocketing. They have been greatly revalued, especially those preserved almost perfect. Nothing comparable to an absurdly inflated price machine since its inception today. You have no fucking idea what you are talking about, kid.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
????:lolz:
SUPER NINTENDO games are antiques and jewels, they are products of a time that will no longer return. That's why so many people collect them. They have a demand that does not stop growing, and their prices are skyrocketing. They have been greatly revalued, especially those preserved almost perfect. Nothing comparable to an absurdly inflated price machine since its inception today. You have no fucking idea what you are talking about, kid.

The fact you consistently talk about the "value" of your purchase shows me that you care a lot about what something costs. You like to front about what you spent. No one cares. And collectors that buy things that were meant to be played to sit on a shelf? That's laughable, nice of you to curse at me as well. Obviously you can't talk in a normal tone.

Have a nice day

Last edited:

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
the news section is for threads pertaining neo geo, not only snk.

exa arcadia could be a new neo geo and shares some features of the snk mvs machine.

is this corroborated by SNK or EXA's people or is it your personal wish/hope? Last time I talked to Shou or SNK, they didn't mention any of it, and by the same logic Taito Type X, running KoF games already, falls under the same definition. even if one game lands on the platform, it's quite a stretch calling it a successor.

edit:

I see your point about the four slot feature though, yet still a stretch putting this under SNK/Neo news... maybe general discussion.

Last edited: