Exa-arcadia, the new neo geo?

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
:lolz:

Of course, it is an honor for me that a puppy like you cites me for not being able to make a SHIT like this "exa-arcadia".
Long live NGDEV!

Stay tuned, animal, and you will have your prize.:mr_t:

You got issues, bro.

tomlee80

Kabuki Klasher
I really like the look of this system.

I doubt it will be anything more than a footnote in history within a few years though...

It's about as affordable to me now as a collector as a Neo AES was to me as an 11 year old.

If anyone knows of any arcades in the UK that have an Exa-arcadia system to play let me know :)

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Yes, that afternoon was enough. Today I bring dog biscuits again. :rolleyes:

Neo-Geo peeps ought to make an annual "Most retarded user of the Year" award thread. Maybe that'll help you feel that you accomplished something in life to calm down your cucked civil servant rage.

sinister

n00b
Of course the Saturn had capabilities that the Neo didn't, but you're saying that the Saturn with the RAM cart could do anything the Neo could? I think you've really overplayed your hand this time.

That guy is a very strongly anti Neo Geo guy. He's not the only one. If you search around the internet you will see others who excessively bash the Neo Geo. Comparing Neo Geo to something like CPS 3 is unfair but stuff like Namco's System 2 and Sega's System 32 were out in 1990.

Also keep in mind SNK never made a game that utilized the 4 MB ram cart...only the 1 MB one.

If the Saturn had either....a lot more RAM or used cartridges (like the Titan board) you could have had a lot closer conversions. I do however think that Neo Geo had a larger maximum cartridge capacity than even the Titan board though.

I think a Neo Geo version of SFII while not being a 1:1 copy of the cps original would still be great and miles ahead of the pc engine, megadrive, and Super Famicom versions. I tgink YouTube shows footage of a homebrew prototype that looks great. Stuff like Karnov's revenge, Breaker's revenge, and World Heroes perfect are close enough imo to SF to show it can be done.

SF III may indeed be impossible on Neo Geo but MOTW looks very comparable imo overall...and superior to any CPS2 or Saturn 2d fighter despite being on older and weaker hardware.

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
What is everyone thinking of the retooled version of Gimmick! coming to this platform? Seems weird to bring a platformer to Arcades in 2020.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
It's cool that they're trying to have more variety on the platform than just danmaku shmups and 1-on-1 fighting games. I like Gimmick and if I encountered it in an arcade then I'd drop in a quarter. But if the graphics and gameplay stay as faithful to the NES as I've seen with it so far, the general public will likely be turned off by the plain graphics and crushing difficulty. But I could see respawning in place when you die instead of kicking you back to a checkpoint as one potential solution to the difficulty challenge at least.

caldwert

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
I plan on buying Gimmick myself. Should be interesting to see how it does, but I think it will do ok honestly. I'm pretty sure you respawn where you die now, rather than checkpoints.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Honestly I think its pretty excellent
There's more than just one set on niche audience for this as an arcade offering today. It won't get much exposure I'm sure though

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Gimmick! is a Famicom masterpiece and one of the most expensive games on that system. Good requirements for a re-release, though I would't have expected it on Exa. Sounds exciting.

Spoiler:
Here's the trailer:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Gimmick! is a Famicom masterpiece and one of the most expensive games on that system. Good requirements for a re-release, though I would't have expected it on Exa. Sounds exciting.

Spoiler:
Here's the trailer:

It looks sweet as hwll

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I plan on buying Gimmick myself. Should be interesting to see how it does, but I think it will do ok honestly. I'm pretty sure you respawn where you die now, rather than checkpoints.

Probably still cheaper than the pal version.

I don't understand why we need specialized hardware anymore. DRM?

There's almost no advantage over off the shelf parts.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Fuck, they better port that Gimmick remake to consoles. The older trailers looked like shit, but that one looks absolutely fantastic.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
Huh. Interesting that it’s “licensed by and developed in cooperation” with Cave rather than developed by Cave themselves.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Up until SDOJ-exa they've been taking $2 mobile/steam games and turning them into $2000 arcade ports.
That's one hell of a business strat.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
It's an insult to the Neo Geo to call this budget sack of dog shit "the new Neo Geo."

And no, it's not like you couldn't do something like the Neo Geo again.

If you adjust for inflation, the AES was around $1,294.43 in today's USD.

That's over twice the cost of the Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X.

Remember that even the AES was a bottom of the barrel budget arcade system. It was designed to be cheap. Sega and Namco had contemporary hardware that ran circles around it.

If you were to actually make a dedicated video game platform today that used top of the line hardware (I'm talking multiple Geforce 3090s SLI'd, the best 16 core x86 CPU you could buy, a fast SSD, 64GB of RAM, etc.), you could make games that would blow the wig off your scalp. We're talking 4k fully ray traced games at decent framerates, or games without ray tracing at 8k at 60fps. They would basically look like what Playstation 6 games will look like. The Future is Now. That would be a real "new Neo Geo." But this pussy cocksucking planet is too limp to do it. Enjoy your mobile gutter trash, suckers.

Remember that there really aren't any games that are truly designed specifically for high end PC hardware anymore. Everything is just made for the Playstation and pumped and dumped to the PC with some lazy ass port done by Asian code monkeys. No one ever really gets to see what all this amazing top of the line PC hardware is truly capable of.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
So at first you said we could have a new neo geo today. Then you said it was bottom tier arcade trash. Then you said ps5 and xbox are trash. Then you said PC gets gold painted dog shit ports of games made to run on trash.

So umm...... Back to mame i guess?

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
So at first you said we could have a new neo geo today. Then you said it was bottom tier arcade trash. Then you said ps5 and xbox are trash. Then you said PC gets gold painted dog shit ports of games made to run on trash.

:lolz:

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member

bulbousbeard's bullshit posts really liven up this place. :lolz:
Reminds me of the "Neo-Geo is the K-Mart CPS2" argument.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist

You're an idiot. A budget arcade system at that point was still way ahead of commodity home hardware. I guess that distinction is too subtle for plant life. I'll spell it out for you since you're too dumb to figure it out yourself. A modern Neo Geo would be $1,294.43 in today's dollars. A $1,300 console would have specs that would annihilate the PS5 and Xbox. However, that still is nothing compared to what you could do if you just went all out on high end PC hardware and actually wrote games to take advantage of it. That would be roughly equivalent to the actual high end Namco and Sega hardware contemporary to the Neo Geo.

https://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=699

That's a real arcade system. Not a budget one like the Neo Geo or CPS1. Three times the CPUs and far more powerful sprite processing. The Neo Geo was a joke compared to 1988 Sega arcade hardware.

Back to your job at the gas station, I guess? Keep breathing those fumes.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
You're an idiot. A budget arcade system at that point was still way ahead of commodity home hardware. I guess that distinction is too subtle for plant life.

Back to your job at the gas station, I guess? Keep breathing those fumes.

Lame.