Can we be old and grumpy and live in 1999 Forever?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
If you bothered to read the entire thread you would have seen a few points brought up.

Bold as brass, you used the irrealis, cause if I don't agree with your opinion, I obviously didn't "bother" to read the entire thread. Which BTW has indeed some of the most proselytizing capabilities, I would just have to surrender to.

Thanks, but you obviously didn't read my entire post, which just referred to the rhetorical problem of having THE price guide at one's service, while still have to applaud to another man's interpretation of it.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
So we are in desperate need of someone, who'll make sense of that eBay data for us? What's there to make sense of once you figured out how to click on sold listings?

This is the post I was referring to. The desperate need for the price guide.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I asked about those prices when I first started, as does everyone who joins this forum. Just like the "teh drama", it's a N-G.com tradition.

btw, Fester's Quest Greed.... you need a turbo controller!! :)

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I asked about those prices when I first started, as does everyone who joins this forum. Just like the "teh drama", it's a N-G.com tradition.

btw, Fester's Quest Greed.... you need a turbo controller!! :)

That would probably help, but my issue is not firiig related. I have lightning taders.

I just make it really far, and fail every time. I know I have to be really close to beating that game.

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
Who needs a price guide? For what? The market is overflown with boots and people need to send their carts to Shawn for proof, why bother collecting AES anymore? Aliexpress carts were made for people just getting into the hobby, NCI peddling their shit, what can you buy that you are certain is not a boot, well the forum comes to mind.

If the prices on the forum need to change given you want to alter the price people is been selling stuff here for a while given the mentioned last blade then go ahead, I see no need for a new price guide.

xorthen

Banned
Yeah, I have to ask. How much do you guys think those aliexpress bootlegs cost for them to make?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
This is the post I was referring to. The desperate need for the price guide... based 90% on eBay data everyone can evaluate for themselves -- so there's no need for a PG.

Fixed, for this is what I was referring to and why we don't need that kind of a PG. But it's just my average opinion, that of an average noobian who never used price guides at all, just his common sense.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
and round and round we gooooooo
FgAuceV.gif

Spoiler:
The point is for whatever reason we have a [...], and it is way out of date.
What's the point in leaving it out of date?
the way it is now it's completely useless. [...]
If we're not going to maintain it, it might as well be removed.
I'm still foggy on why everyone seems so pro, keep it the same. It's obviously completely out-of-date. [...] The logical resolution seems to be either paste a message that [it] is way out of date, or go with the flow and update the thing.
I've said the same thing about everything but the forums on neo-geo.com for some time... the last true news entries are from 2009... Shawn should just put three links on the home page and be done with it (Neostore, Archived Site, Forums). Of course a list with useful resources (neogeosoft.com, mvs-scans.com, hardmvs.com, jamma-nation-x.com, Wikis, unibios etc.) would be nice as well.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
Greedostick if you want to make a priceguide just make one and post it. Don't bother responding to this thread. It just keeps the circus going...

As to those saying we don't need a guide? Oh rrreeeeaaaally? Why do we have a "What's it worth" thread? If no price guide was needed those threads would have died long ago. Instead, they're active DAILY.

Do we need Greedostick's PG? Don't know until we see it. At this point if I need a ballpark price I use the guides listed in my signature. They aren't perfect, but they're something.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Thread summary:

Can I take over the NG.com price guide? No.

Why? Because fuck you that's why!

Can I make my own price guide?

:keke:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Yeah I pretty much gave up on it. I'm not making a price guide to sit in a forum thread and be shat on all day. Seems pointless to update the prices, in case of the rare instance it would actually be posted into the actual price guide, and updated on a regular basis. Which it never would

No one will ever agree, so we can just leave the same 7 year old price guide up there and laugh at how stupid and useless it is now. I have other things i'm working on anyway.

So yeah, I agree, I'm officially unsubscribing from this thread. Have fun with your shit price guide for all of you who want to be stuck in 2009. It definitely makes no sense to update it, so we should just leave it as is. Because that makes A LOT MORE sense then just updating the damn thing.

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
Yeah I pretty much gave up on it. I'm not making a price guide to sit in a forum thread and be shat on all day. Seems pointless to update the prices, in case of the rare instance it would actually be posted into the actual price guide, and updated on a regular basis. Which it never would

No one will ever agree, so we can just leave the same 7 year old price guide up there and laugh at how stupid and useless it is now. I have other things i'm working on anyway.

So yeah, I agree, I'm officially unsubscribing from this thread. Have fun with your shit price guide for all of you who want to be stuck in 2009. It definitely makes no sense to update it, so we should just leave it as is. Because that makes A LOT MORE sense then just updating the damn thing.

Too bad.

It's pretty surprising how much denial there is in this community on current prices. Everything's shill bidding if you don't like the price even after multiple examples of the price. A game is $800 because I said so and I'll ignore eBay or other sales to the contrary thank you very much unless you can send me a blood sample from the unborn child of the buyer.

You should just go for it - it would be nice to have a price guide maintained by someone who actually cares to do a good job.

NeoGeoFanatic

Neo Geo Cup '98
Maybe the answer is to have one price guide with multiple price columns for (Forum, Private and Ebay) price?

The price between these approaches varies wildly so figuring out an a SINGLE average price for the guide would be difficult.

Forum Prices: Slowly increase but remain steady for the most part
Private Prices: Would be difficult to confirm but they happen
Ebay Price: Last sold price or an average of the last 3 sales.

As a newcomer to the Neo Geo AES and MVS scene, I can say that it would be very helpful to have a price guide with somewhat current market prices.

I have to commend the guys that have created or volunteered to update the existing one. It is a very time consuming task.

Just my two cents. :mr_t:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

It was a noble thought, man. But look, even mjmjr25 (who is like the nicest guy on the forum) caught some shit for posting his price guide. It is a highly contentious and subjective issue, and a sore spot for many people on here due to how crazy the market has gotten.

Bar81

20 Year Member
It was a noble thought, man. But look, even mjmjr25 (who is like the nicest guy on the forum) caught some shit for posting his price guide. It is a highly contentious and subjective issue, and a sore spot for many people on here due to how crazy the market has gotten.

You're making me feel like a jerk. Apologies mjmjr25.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
You're making me feel like a jerk. Apologies mjmjr25.

Yeah there's only two rules on this forum.

1. Don't market Leach.

2. Under no circumstances, question mj. Or face the wrath.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
I know it has nothing to do with the thread, but regarding the new subject title...

1996 was the peak for me. 1996 just completely destroyed me. There was simply not enough time to play all the awesome games.

Guardian Heroes, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake (!), Super Mario 64 (!), Waku Waku 7, Art of Fighting 3, Raiden Fighters, Crash Bandicoot, Tetris Attack, Real Bout: FF Special, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Metal Slug (!), Magical Drop 2, NBA Hangtime, Neo Turf Masters, and Diablo (!) all released in a single year one after the other. It's still the biggest year in gaming for me. There were so many genre-defining games and just outright awesome traditional games. Just a handful of the heavy hitters from 1996 could have sucked up all your free time.

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Too bad.

It's pretty surprising how much denial there is in this community on current prices. Everything's shill bidding if you don't like the price even after multiple examples of the price. A game is $800 because I said so and I'll ignore eBay or other sales to the contrary thank you very much unless you can send me a blood sample from the unborn child of the buyer.

You should just go for it - it would be nice to have a price guide maintained by someone who actually cares to do a good job.

It is speculation that is making these prices go up. I better get my copy before x goes up. While everything isn't shill bidding, can you honestly say there aren't people manipulating the market? One person can and has changed the market before, just look at STV with YAJ,rarebucky with sealed games, heck even some shitty guy was mentioned on pcenginefx as driving the price up on magical chase jp buying every copy for months straight.These are just the people we know about. If you want a good example of speculation, just look up Hagane for SNES when people started speculating and saying oh its blockbuster exclusive like it means anything on Nintendoage (the threads are from 2011-2012ish). Here is a cool science experiment someone did on increasing a games price that Pat covers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKHk5U8tmfw&nohtml5=False

You know what I hate about feebay nowadays? Transparency. I've seen shit constantly listed at stupid bin, looks like they sold (sometimes not), only to be relisted months later (3 months+) with same exact pictures and condition grading. Its almost like the shit is selling when it isn't. I mostly see this with JP sellers. I guess it could just be they are reusing old pictures and descriptions. Often times they just list stuff at stupid prices for eons and just wait with their tasty bait to get that one big dumb fish.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The thought of European dealers living in Japan, possessing multiple copies of high priced plastic, selling a game now and then for the tripple amount than before... thus controlling this small market isn't that far fetched. I bet, they would gladly have price guides installed on every forum. Always updated to meet their next price goals.

Bar81

20 Year Member
It is speculation that is making these prices go up. I better get my copy before x goes up. While everything isn't shill bidding, can you honestly say there aren't people manipulating the market? One person can and has changed the market before, just look at STV with YAJ,rarebucky with sealed games, heck even some shitty guy was mentioned on pcenginefx as driving the price up on magical chase jp buying every copy for months straight.These are just the people we know about. If you want a good example of speculation, just look up Hagane for SNES when people started speculating and saying oh its blockbuster exclusive like it means anything on Nintendoage (the threads are from 2011-2012ish). Here is a cool science experiment someone did on increasing a games price that Pat covers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKHk5U8tmfw&nohtml5=False

You know what I hate about feebay nowadays? Transparency. I've seen shit constantly listed at stupid bin, looks like they sold (sometimes not), only to be relisted months later (3 months+) with same exact pictures and condition grading. Its almost like the shit is selling when it isn't. I mostly see this with JP sellers. I guess it could just be they are reusing old pictures and descriptions. Often times they just list stuff at stupid prices for eons and just wait with their tasty bait to get that one big dumb fish.

The thing is that it's really irrelevant whether there has been "manipulation" or not; the market is what it is. I don't see anyone selling their AES titles or PCBs at 2010 rates because you know, the market has been "manipulated" by the frenchies or STV - you want an AES MS JP that'll be $10k+ from almost every seller today "manipulator" or not or maybe you want an ESP.RA.De that'll be $550+ from almost every seller today "manipulator" or not.

I'm part of the problem (I'm pretty sure I single handidly caused SCD Keio to jump from $400 to $500) and there are enough guys like me or much worse (see Fakk2) that that's the current reality and it's not pretty and I get everyone hating today's prices and wishing they were lower but as of the near future I can't see that happening.

Last edited: