Can we be old and grumpy and live in 1999 Forever?

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
And the merry go round keeps spinning! Sengoku 3 anyone? Sacked and recognized later became scarce and highly sought after.

Greedystick how much is an AES sengoku 3 today? It went down if I'm not mistaken to $80 average price and for that reason became perfect for sacking.

We are the creators of our own demise.

Yes the scene was manipulated since the beginning by no other than Dion, KOF2000 anyone? attempted with metal slug too by himself, this is the new "big timer" era.

Why people keep buying AES is beyond comprehension.

I'll try quoting a post from a new member that made sense, (Neo Geo AES today is like having sex with your high school crush at the 20 years reunion), yeah I get it but you don't have to marry her and take her in with a bunch of bratty kids that cost you a fortune to sustain. One night stand and keep going.

But in the other hand keep buying those till I get the few carts I still want on MVS please!

mahesak

Morden's Lackey
Most people can't accept high price today of AES ...

They thought their price is right ....

Where is the right price ???

Where is the suitable price ???

Where is the planet they live ???

They always thought they are the center of universe and their thought must be right ...

I don't have any angry when they thought they are right and everyone who bought high price AES are foolish ....

I know everyone can't have the same salary or money each month ... But please respect each people more and more ....

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
And the merry go round keeps spinning! Sengoku 3 anyone? Sacked and recognized later became scarce and highly sought after.

Greedystick how much is an AES sengoku 3 today? It went down if I'm not mistaken to $80 average price and for that reason became perfect for sacking.

We are the creators of our own demise.

Yes the scene was manipulated since the beginning by no other than Dion, KOF2000 anyone? attempted with metal slug too by himself, this is the new "big timer" era.

Why people keep buying AES is beyond comprehension.

I'll try quoting a post from a new member that made sense, (Neo Geo AES today is like having sex with your high school crush at the 20 years reunion), yeah I get it but you don't have to marry her and take her in with a bunch of bratty kids that cost you a fortune to sustain. One night stand and keep going.

But in the other hand keep buying those till I get the few carts I still want on MVS please!

Good question. Not really much data except that dumbass who paid $2500.00 a few days ago, and a few cheap sales from 2011. The previous sales were in the $1100-$1250 range though on eBay earlier this year.

Honestly speaking, on eBay, I feel I could sell one for the $1250.00 pretty fast, as the jump in prices for ALL neo geo games portrays neo is a sellers market. I wouldn't even be surprised if I could get $1500.00 pretty fast. But considering the obvious tension about this release, if I really wanted to sell one on the forums, I would put it at a solid $1000.00 even, and I would bet money it would be sold, and back on eBay within a month for $2500.00, where it would eventually sell for that price, or slightly less.

For a price guide, I would price it the same, and receive the wrath, but it is what it is. There are 3 sales all over $1100.00 this year. It would definitely be one of those I would list the last few prices for and let people decide on their own. But I sure as hell wouldn't put the $2500.00 tag on there until at least a few more sold at that price.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Most people can't accept high price today of AES ...

I disagree, most people not only do accept them, but see them as a sole reason for collecting. The thing they really rant about is rarity. Any other console out there offers you BINs ad lib, there's no real scarceness. Not so with the Neo, which demands the most precious thing you have... no, not your money -- your time.

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
I kind of agree with oliver but it's not the full picture imho.

Supply is just too scarce to consider these guided product purchases. To lesser/greater extents these are antiques now. Sellers will sell at what they want, buyers will buy for what they want. Hopefully you can find it amusing/interesting, but if it annoys you because you're anxious to get a 'good' deal, then just forget it - whether or not you trust the seller (another issue altogether) there will be too much angst involved to let you enjoy the thing you're buying into.

I can see as another seller you could feel bitter towards flippers, and likewise as a prospective buyer a bit bitter towards 'dumb ass' buyers.... But I actually think you just need to find that all part of the deal. And when particular 'dumb asses' exist it just has to be more interesting: Valuing games (or the prestige of game products/culture) to a certain extreme.

After all, buying any of this stuff is pretty dumb anyway in the hunter gatherer sense, so what else do you compare it to? Most of it is still a relative bargain in the art/cultural significance sense...

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
this sort of effort has come and gone several times already

the prices of games fluctuate alot in short periods of time for both formats

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Good question. Not really much data except that dumbass who paid $2500.00 a few days ago, and a few cheap sales from 2011. The previous sales were in the $1100-$1250 range though on eBay earlier this year.

Honestly speaking, on eBay, I feel I could sell one for the $1250.00 pretty fast, as the jump in prices for ALL neo geo games portrays neo is a sellers market. I wouldn't even be surprised if I could get $1500.00 pretty fast. But considering the obvious tension about this release, if I really wanted to sell one on the forums, I would put it at a solid $1000.00 even, and I would bet money it would be sold, and back on eBay within a month for $2500.00, where it would eventually sell for that price, or slightly less.

For a price guide, I would price it the same, and receive the wrath, but it is what it is. There are 3 sales all over $1100.00 this year. It would definitely be one of those I would list the last few prices for and let people decide on their own. But I sure as hell wouldn't put the $2500.00 tag on there until at least a few more sold at that price.

I traded my Sengoku 2001 copy last year for stuff and cash.
Total ascended to 1400 EUR.

I still wish I had it tho ;)

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
After all, buying any of this stuff is pretty dumb anyway in the hunter gatherer sense, so what else do you compare it to?

It's a reaction and there have always been reactionary movements, if progress became too oppressive within its effect on everyday life. The impact of the digital revolution is as ferocious, as that of the industrial revolution, which had its own share of reactionaries trying to counterbalance predatory mass production with concepts like like Primitivism in art or the Arts & Crafts Movement in design.

The psychological meaning of collecting quarter of a century old video games (or the much older vinyl records, VHS, 8-Bit computers & other analogue devices) is therefore a very vital one. Not only as a simple statement, but on the whole, as a panacean remedy to one's sense of self-worth. You can't win with time, but the illusion of weaving it down, helps to overcome this realization.

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
1999 was a great year. I'd still be 12 or 13, kickin' back in high school, and having my parents by my video games consoles for me...

xorthen

Banned
I disagree, most people not only do accept them, but see them as a sole reason for collecting. The thing they really rant about is rarity. Any other console out there offers you BINs ad lib, there's no real scarceness. Not so with the Neo, which demands the most precious thing you have... no, not your money -- your time.
Here is the main problem I have with this scene. Collectors. Why collect a game that is going to sit on a shelf other than trying to let it inflate over time for gains. I never understood this kind of weird obsession people have with games. If it's not a game I enjoy or will play I simply don't buy it. I will disagree with you because I would never pay the prices that certain AES games seem to be going for today rather than say 6 years ago. I'm all for somewhat reasonably expensive but when a game costs 600 or 1000 dollars more than what it cost 4 years ago, you know it really makes you ask, what the fuck is wrong with people paying these retarded inflated prices these days.

Last edited:

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
Here is the main problem I have with this scene. Collectors. Why collect a game that is going to sit on a shelf other than trying to let it inflate over time for gains. I never understood this kind of weird obsession people have with games. If it's not a game I enjoy or will play I simply don't buy it. I will disagree with you because I would never pay the prices that certain AES games seem to be going for today rather than say 6 years ago. I'm all for somewhat reasonably expensive but when a game costs 600 or 1000 dollars more than what it cost 4 years ago, you know it really makes you ask, what the fuck is wrong with people paying these retarded inflated prices these days.

Game companies are not helping the cause either with all their Day One, Collectors, and Limited Edition releases. I remember years ago when there used to be preorder bonuses few and far between, and those bonuses would kick ass (Pokemon figures, Bioshock Big Daddy figure, etc.) Now days they're just pure fuckin' crap (Street Fighter IV Thumb Warriors, Sonic Lost World Preorder 25 Extra Lives DLC, etc). They keep pushing that collectors edition like "get it now or you'll never get that gold pistol in COD that you will never ever fucking use." Really wish game companies would cut the shit. It's a gateway to turning someone in to a Collectard.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Game companies are not helping the cause either with all their Day One, Collectors, and Limited Edition releases. I remember years ago when there used to be preorder bonuses few and far between, and those bonuses would kick ass (Pokemon figures, Bioshock Big Daddy figure, etc.) Now days they're just pure fuckin' crap (Street Fighter IV Thumb Warriors, Sonic Lost World Preorder 25 Extra Lives DLC, etc). They keep pushing that collectors edition like "get it now or you'll never get that gold pistol in COD that you will never ever fucking use." Really wish game companies would cut the shit. It's a gateway to turning someone in to a Collectard.

Flipside of that is if they make too many things specifically for collecting then people will become weary of it and just ignore it completely. I hope, anyway.