Aquarium fishy

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
That just looks like a depressing amount of responsibility.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
We ended up getting 55gallon kit at Petsmart. It was on sale, had to buy a stand too. Shit was heavy, had to put it upstairs. Going with freshwater and after doing research looks like we might try adding real plants instead of the fake ones. How difficult is it to carpet the aquarium? We are going to do a Studio Ghibli theme as she is big fan.

View attachment 57831

you forgot the sand or did you put in your vagina?

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
champ didn't spend his childhood in a Panaman jungle just so he could grow up and buy an actual pet dammit! Let the man make himself believe this is for his daughter and not himself. Sometimes he still wakes up in a cold sweat, remembering the time he stepped in dog shit barefoot around the base.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
champ didn't spend his childhood in a Panaman jungle just so he could grow up and buy an actual pet dammit! Let the man make himself believe this is for his daughter and not himself. Sometimes he still wakes up in a cold sweat, remembering the time he stepped in dog shit barefoot around the base.

Lonesage how the fuck...Yeah man, i get this recurring dream that i go over the fence straight to the Panama jungle barefooted...I have to tiptoe avoiding stepping on sleeping snakes. Im yelling at myself go back wtf you doing. When my younger self looks back all i see is darkness & animal eyes in the dark surrounding me. That's usually how the dream begins but i would have different scenarios happening all the time but always end up waking up stress and relieved.

Going to dry start this aquarium this week.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Good luck with that. I had been thinking about purchasing one the last couple of months and that's good enough for me...just thinking about it that is.
You are right about the dog and cat thing ..All I can think about is the shedding,fleas and ticks that come with that....
BB

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Good luck with that. I had been thinking about purchasing one the last couple of months and that's good enough for me...just thinking about it that is.
You are right about the dog and cat thing ..All I can think about is the shedding,fleas and ticks that come with that....
BB

Yeah BB fuck dogs and cats. All you people that have furry animals in your houses are fucking nasty. Why do you wanna live in that filth? not to mention you can come home and see your neo geo games get chewed up by some dumb mutt, hard pass.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Buy the aquarium at Petco but not the fish, their fish come from Thailand usually and are sloshed around on FedEx trucks so when you take the fish home the fish usually die. Get the fish from a reputable shop.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
BB

ill keep things updated and let you know if its worth the hassle.

Buy the aquarium at Petco but not the fish, their fish come from Thailand usually and are sloshed around on FedEx trucks so when you take the fish home the fish usually die. Get the fish from a reputable shop.

oh thanks for that. Once we are done aquascaping the aquarium, we will start thinking what to put.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Good luck with the setup, man. When I was in elementary school I had a small setup and a goldfish, and I enjoyed it. To each their own with this sort of thing.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
Great way to kill the fish.

if-fishy-dies-fishy-dies.jpg

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I had a 45 gallon fresh water breeder tank for many years. It's such a money dump, and there is quite a learning curve. Lots of chemicals to buy, fish food, water filters, PH Strips, decorations, cleaning supplies. Then you buy these fish and they constantly die. They can get all kinds of diseases and screw up your tank, like Ick or whatever it's called. A lot of the fish are bred to be attractive and sell, such as Balloon Body Mollies. Because of this they have a terrible life span. Getting a tank set up can be rough. You have to get the PH just right, and constantly check it. It will seriously nickel and dime you, and after several years you will get sick of your daughter being upset because a fish dies every week. That being said, it can be fun when things go well.

A few tips I would have...

1. Buy a tank on craigslist, with a lid, and a light. People are always dumping aquarium stuff because of the reasons I mentioned.
2. To clean the sides of the tank get one of those magnetic wall scrapers.
3. Make sure the pet store clerk knows what fish are compatible. Some will murder each other.
4. Don't do salt water.
5. Learn how to do the water changes, or you will kill your fish. They are incredibly sensitive to water changes.
6. When you introduce a new fish, leave it in the store bag and place it in the tank, till the water gets to the temp of the tank water. Or you will shock and kill the fish.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
It's such a money dump

The man hasn't had a day off since he conquered the jungles in Panama and installed himself as King of the Millipedes. He's got money. It's not for his kid, it's for him, because life in suburban America is so fucking boring.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I had a 45 gallon fresh water breeder tank for many years. It's such a money dump, and there is quite a learning curve. Lots of chemicals to buy, fish food, water filters, PH Strips, decorations, cleaning supplies. Then you buy these fish and they constantly die. They can get all kinds of diseases and screw up your tank, like Ick or whatever it's called. A lot of the fish are bred to be attractive and sell, such as Balloon Body Mollies. Because of this they have a terrible life span. Getting a tank set up can be rough. You have to get the PH just right, and constantly check it. It will seriously nickel and dime you, and after several years you will get sick of your daughter being upset because a fish dies every week. That being said, it can be fun when things go well.

A few tips I would have...

1. Buy a tank on craigslist, with a lid, and a light. People are always dumping aquarium stuff because of the reasons I mentioned.
2. To clean the sides of the tank get one of those magnetic wall scrapers.
3. Make sure the pet store clerk knows what fish are compatible. Some will murder each other.
4. Don't do salt water.
5. Learn how to do the water changes, or you will kill your fish. They are incredibly sensitive to water changes.
6. When you introduce a new fish, leave it in the store bag and place it in the tank, till the water gets to the temp of the tank water. Or you will shock and kill the fish.

2. Great way to fuck up the glass. Use a dedicated sponge instead, something like a filter sponge. Don't want to get your hands wet and keeping fishes at the same time? Better buy a dog. Always wash your hands before coming in contact with the aquarium water.
3. Most of them don't have a clue. Don't bother asking people working for a big chain store, do your own research.
5. Depends on the breed. Most cyprinidae are hardy and can take it. Depending on the breed, most poeciliidae are also hardy enough. There's nothing stopping you from using a mix of cold and warm water to prevent it from being too cold/warm.. Personally, I use about ten liters of filtered water (to prevent algea growth because our water has a high amount of silicates in it) and normal tap water, I usually change about 1/4 of the water.
6. It's better to put the fish with the store water into a bucket, then slowly add aquarium water to it during the next half an hour or so, then use a net to add the fish to the tank, never put that dirty ass store water into your own tank.

I never had problems with my PH value, I don't know what you're doing wrong. Decorations (don't buy any of that tacky shit, like a shipwreck or other trash, they look shitty, are possibly painted with lead paints and the fish don't care anyway) are cheap: add some stones, some wood and buy some plants. Don't buy colored sand either, use natural white ones. If you aren't completely incompetent, you'll only have to buy plants once. You don't need chemicals or "cleaning supplies" (whatever that means, never use any sort of household cleaners to clean anything in your tank) either. Only the beginning is expensive, after that the costs are more than resonable. I'd recommend buying some fertilizer though.

Last edited:

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
X

I remember when my cousin was at his I’m-16-and-hate-my dad stage. His dad had one of these fish tanks he loved so to get back at him one day he squirted a bottle of dish detergent in the tank...:lolz:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I remember when my cousin was at his I’m-16-and-hate-my dad stage. His dad had one of these fish tanks he loved so to get back at him one day he squirted a bottle of dish detergent in the tank...:lolz:
I'd squirt a bottle of dish detergent in your cousin's eyes.