Any mind bending movie suggestions? Post your favorites!

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Going to shoot for watching one suggestion each night starting this coming weekend. I saw Eraserhead was mentioned. I saw it a couple years ago and it blew my mind. That movie was so bizarre but I loved it!

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Not yet mentioned:

The Signal (Laurence Fishburne sci-fi, not the horror movie from about 6-7 years ago)

Inland Empire - this might be David Lynch's most confounding movie. It's utterly bizarre. It's also about three hours long. Mind fuck for sure.

edit: the original Oldboy (don't settle for the Spike Lee American version). There is some fucked-up shit in there, and all of it is awesome.

Last edited:

micah7

n00b
+1 for The Man from Earth or anything by David Lynch.

Also try Caché or Timecrimes if you don't mind subtitles. If you'd rather stick to English, one of my recent favorites is Enemy with Jake Gyllenhaal.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Just read some reviews for Primer- that thing was made on a $7K budget. I'm sold. Going to watch it on Xbox video tonight. Sounds far out.

micah7

n00b
Just read some reviews for Primer- that thing was made on a $7K budget. I'm sold. Going to watch it on Xbox video tonight. Sounds far out.

If you dig Primer, the writer/director came out with Upstream Color in 2013. It's also a great mind-bender.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I just watched Coherence.

Definitely qualifies.

edit: really good. quite interesting, and unique- no script, just 12 pages of notes on the characters and main plot points. Several points that made me go WTF?!

Last edited:

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
OldBoy is one of my fav movies in the Vengeance trilogy

I wouldn't call it mind bending but ultimate tale of revenge heh

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
OldBoy is one of my fav movies in the Vengeance trilogy

I wouldn't call it mind bending but ultimate tale of revenge heh

Just in case you missed them, check "I Saw the Devil" and "Chaser"

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
came here to mention pi. but its been called out a couple times now.

how about cube?

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
came here to mention pi. but its been called out a couple times now.

how about cube?

The Sci Fi original from a while back? If so that movie was actually pretty cool, as was the sequel "Hypercube". Though the third one was retarded.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
The Sci Fi original from a while back? If so that movie was actually pretty cool, as was the sequel "Hypercube". Though the third one was retarded.

i dont think it was a sci fi channel original. but the first one was great. second was good. and lets not speak of the third.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
Just in case you missed them, check "I Saw the Devil" and "Chaser"

Awesome, ruthless Korean cinema. The Blu-rays are expensive but worth every penny.

Well, I Saw the Devil may not be. I can get it for less than $5 locally, but The Chaser was only released on Blu-ray on South Korea, in addition to France and Germany, but those releases don't have teh subs.

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
i dont think it was a sci fi channel original. but the first one was great. second was good. and lets not speak of the third.

Ahh, I think it was just that I saw them all back in the day on the Sci Fi channel, so I might have mixed it up a bit, I'm not sure.

Another strange movie that actually shares the same name is The Cube by Jim Henson.

Last edited:

Joe T.

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
Solyaris_ussr_poster.jpg

Good recommendation. I'd also recommend the Tarkovsky film,The Stalker. I'm surprised at the lack of David Lynch recommendation here. I'd go for Inland Empire, Fire Walk With Me, Eraserhead, or Blue Velvet personally. I'm also a fan of Luis Bunuel as of recent. The Exterminating Angel is a good one. Finally, for less narrative, more experimental, I'd look for anything by Stan Brakhage.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member

this is the cube movie im talking about. but that jim henson one looks similar.

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
Spoiler:

this is the cube movie im talking about. but that jim henson one looks similar.

Oh yeah, that was the one I was figured you were talking about. I remember specifically watching the first one with my dad back in the day and just loved the death scenes. :D

I was just pointing out the similarly named movie by Jim Henson, which if you've never seen it, is a pretty trippy movie.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
I saw Cube and Cube 2: Hypercube randomly a few years back. I really loved the concept and really enjoyed them. It's always awesome to see low budget films like Cube and Primer tell such a compelling story with limited resources. I also saw the original Oldboy a while back. I haven't seen the new one out of utter fear of disappointment. The original was fantastic and I just don't think any new version could do it justice. Oldboy reminded me a lot of I Saw the Devil. That was another awesome revenge flick. Definitely recommended if you enjoyed Oldboy.