top 10 neo geo games

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
lol. About 1/3 of the Neo Geo's library is fighting games. So I've been emphasizing that the other 2/3 exist for all the naysayer's who dismiss the console because they don't like fighters.
Knock it off, Alec. Keep those naysaying effers out of the hobby.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Knock it off, Alec. Keep those naysaying effers out of the hobby.
Fair point. For me it's about changing the image of the Neo Geo to a friendlier, more approachable one, instead of strictly the domain of elitist goobs.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Fair point. For me it's about changing the image of the Neo Geo to a friendlier, more approachable one, instead of strictly the domain of elitist goobs.
I'd rather you change the image of the NEO•GEO to an affordable one.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I'd rather you change the image of the NEO•GEO to an affordable one.
A lot of the people who comment on my videos are playing the ACA versions, which are $8 each for the download. And well, there's always piracy, like the 161-in-1 carts that most people have.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
A lot of the people who comment on my videos are playing the ACA versions, which are $8 each for the download. And well, there's always piracy, like the 161-in-1 carts that most people have.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The Neo Geo is a mighty fine golf system thanks to Top Player's Golf and Neo Turf Masters.

I've been saying for a long time that the Neo Geo's most interesting time was before the release of Fatal Fury 1, the Neo's first ever fighting game. This period from 1990 to mid 91 or so has some of the Neo's more unique games and shows for a brief period what the Neo could have been as a proper dedicated home console and not an arcade quarter muncher first. A period before the cold hard business decisions such as chasing popular trends took place.

NAM-1975, Magician Lord, Blues Journey, Ninja Combat, Baseball Stars Professional, The Super Spy League Bowling, Cyber-Lip, King of the Monsters, Alpha Mission 2, Mutation Nation, Last Resort and Sengoku, all pretty great early releases.

There's about 26 games with an NGH number lower than Fatal Fury 1 (not counting Jokey Grand Prix, for obvious reasons)

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I'm confused... is this a necro bump thread from 2001 or is this recent??? :unsure:

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
King of Fighters 2000
Last Blade 2
Mark of the Wolves
Metal Slug
Metal Slug 2
Metal Slug 3
Samurai Shodown 2
Samurai Shodown IV
Strikers 1945 Plus
Twinkle Star Sprites

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
King of Fighters 2000
Last Blade 2
Mark of the Wolves
Metal Slug
Metal Slug 2
Metal Slug 3
Samurai Shodown 2
Samurai Shodown IV
Strikers 1945 Plus
Twinkle Star Sprites
GoobSeed

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
It was a console designed for elitists
We need less people interested in it, not more
Perhaps, but less so in Japan. The price for a console without a pack-in game would have been less eye-watering to Japanese goobs already used to paying high prices for CDs and DVDs, for example. I would argue that a culture with a segment willing to pay a premium price for high end gear already existed in Japan in the 90's to a greater extent than it did in the West. It's one reason it's easier to find a used Japanese system than an export one. Nowadays adult goobs in Western countries don't even bat an eye at paying a lot for high end gear.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
You aren't a Japanese teenager in 1991 though. I know that's hard news to swallow etc. X

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Too many good games for me to pick only 10.... but I'll try:

Kof98
MOTW
Neo Turfmasters
Last Blade 1 and 2
Samsho 2 and 5
Metal slug x and 3
Fatal Fury Special

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Wow - Missed this thread. It's been a read for sure.

Perhaps, but less so in Japan. The price for a console without a pack-in game would have been less eye-watering to Japanese goobs already used to paying high prices for CDs and DVDs, for example. I would argue that a culture with a segment willing to pay a premium price for high end gear already existed in Japan in the 90's to a greater extent than it did in the West. It's one reason it's easier to find a used Japanese system than an export one. Nowadays adult goobs in Western countries don't even bat an eye at paying a lot for high end gear.
100% I pointed out in my Neo Hardware overview that the home system was far too sophisticated for a western audience at the time - a time when 90's moms with mile high perms were spending more than the price of an SNES to literally take their family to therapy sessions because they thought they were being exploited by Nintendo. lol The US just wasn't the market for the NGH at the time - despite their edgy marketing campaign about hot dogs and penis innuendo.

Top 10 in Order (subjective):
  • King of Fighters 98
  • Metal Slug X
  • Fatal Fury Special
  • Samurai Shodown 2
  • Mark of the Wolves
  • Real Bout Special
  • Last Blade 1
  • Shock Troopers
  • King of Fighters 95
  • Blazing Star/Neo Turf Masters (tie - I don't really like golf games but recognize it as an excellent video game full stop)

Sammy/SNK-FAN

New Challenger
Garou Mark of the Wolves
Matrimelee
Kof2002
Metal Slug 5
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2
KOF2003
Metal Slug 4
KOF98
Metal Slug 3
SVCC

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Whatever the fuck I said the last time this thread was posted, and the time before that...

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
In no particular order

Neo Drift Out
KoF96
Art of Fighting 2
Fatal Fury 3
Baseball Stars 2
Spinmaster
Breakers/Revenge
Magical Drop 3