The COVID-19 Thread and Hypothetical Boxing Predictions

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I am beautiful flower.

Yeah, I may start taking the train regularly soon. As it stands it’s costing me $700 to $800 a month to drive in between parking and gas.

:oops:

Last edited:

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Work for me is 26 miles round trip 5 times a week. At $64 for a 31 day transit pass, that beats gas prices and car maintenance costs. Buses aren't bad since they're still enforcing the federal mask mandate for at least another month. Light rail however is almost like a petri dish on tracks every time I've ridden it.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
I’m sitting in the train right now and it’s like I can see the flying death cooties all around me oh god what did I get myself into???

EDIT: everyone is in masks tho which is nice.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I’m sitting in the train right now and it’s like I can see the flying death cooties all around me oh god what did I get myself into???

Modern trains don't even have windows. You're as good as dead.

Prepping moe's goodbye to the drama thread.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I spoke to the local public bus dispatcher this morning, on the phone, and he told me to that they're finally resuming fixed route bus service here again on May 1st. (They've been running their buses like a taxi service instead during the pandemic.) We use them as transportation for the residents on outings, because their buses have hydraulic wheelchair lifts and are large enough to accommodate and transport several wheelchairs plus chaperoning staff, so, I'm hopeful we'll be able to start doing that again, which hasn't been possible during the pandemic. (We don't have our own company vehicles for that, because the cost of insuring them for that purpose is astronomical!) The bus company also had a shortage of drivers, like many businesses during the pandemic, so, that's been a problem too.

TLDR version: Public transportation is starting to get back on track in my neck of the woods, a good sign that the pandemic is truly winding down.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
So i survived the train but it did suck for other reasons so probably won’t be doing that again soon.

Someone on my team tested positive on Friday so now figuring out contact tracing with our business continuity team.

He is vaccinated but said his symptoms are very bad.

@M

20 Year Member
Another employee tested positive at work (of course an unvaccinated one), so, back to wearing goggles and twice weekly testing for everybody and the residents all had to be tested again this morning too. 🤬

geladobom

War Room Troll
5 April all masks off in Portugal inside of the stores, but i will still using because i believe is a nother joke from the goverment to infect even more.

StevenK

10 Year Member
5 April all masks off in Portugal inside of the stores, but i will still using because i believe is a nother joke from the goverment to infect even more.
Interesting take. To what end?

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
S. Korea is getting crushed right now. They were at 800k at the end of January for the entire pandemic and are now around 13 million, with over 400k new cases in 1 day a couple of days ago. What caused the explosion?

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Maybe the fact they thought letting no one get sick for two years was a way out of the pandemic.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member

In the US, first of all there would be no train. And second, no one would be wearing masks unless required.

S. Korea is getting crushed right now. They were at 800k at the end of January for the entire pandemic and are now around 13 million, with over 400k new cases in 1 day a couple of days ago. What caused the explosion?
A theory I have is that they test so much more than many places due to easily available government testing. Other places like here in the U.S are under-reporting by comparison. The U.S. has testing available, but we have a culture of staying home and 'sleeping it off' rather than going in to the doctor for everything. Not that I doubt the infection rate isn't currently quite high in Korea.

@M

20 Year Member
I didn't know that South Korea was having a surge until reading the post above (mostly all I hear about in my circles is China & Europe), but, looking into it, large political rallies might be one of the major causes, which would make sense:

"The surge in South Korean infections stems in part from large-scale political rallies leading up to its presidential election on March 9. The government lifted some restrictions on restaurants and other establishments in late February as well, responding to pushback from business owners."

@M

20 Year Member
Some people still wear masks where I live in Michigan...maybe 25-33%. I always wear one at work, and at hospitals, because I'm required to, and sometimes I wear one in a store or at the post office, but, not always (I am vaccinated & boosted). If I'm just walking around town, I don't, but the streets aren't congested where I live anyway.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Masks are still required via Federal mandate on public transportation until the middle of April. Passengers are required to mask up on city buses or they can't get on. Light rail is under the same guidelines however on a recent trip I'd say about a third weren't wearing masks and security isn't going out of their way to enforce it.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Okay. Guess I jumped to conclusions because my main point is that I see basically zero people wearing masks here in the U.S.

Everyone in Boston gets around a 1400 on their SATs and go to Ivy League schools and are smart so they wear masks.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
My wife and I seem to be the only ones with masks these days when we go to stores in MN.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
I didn't know that South Korea was having a surge until reading the post above (mostly all I hear about in my circles is China & Europe), but, looking into it, large political rallies might be one of the major causes, which would make sense:

"The surge in South Korean infections stems in part from large-scale political rallies leading up to its presidential election on March 9. The government lifted some restrictions on restaurants and other establishments in late February as well, responding to pushback from business owners."

Makes sense. Crazy how they went from 800k during the whole pandemic to over half of that in a single day.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
My wife and I seem to be the only ones with masks these days when we go to stores in MN.
When masks were listed here in Northern California, it was like 75% + with masks still. Now it's probably 25% in stores etc...

Our school board will discuss inside as optional on April 4th. I'll probably keep mine on inside the classroom throughout the rest of the school year.

StevenK

10 Year Member
I finally got the covaids, along with the rest of the family. No one is particularly ill so far, scratchy throats and runny noses. The kids are likely over a week in so over the worst of it and we didn't even notice. Stealth carriers.