The COVID-19 Thread and Hypothetical Boxing Predictions

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
lol mass graves, sure, sure. See, it worked on norton!

The NYC 'mass grave' was a potter's field that has been used for 150 years. Just because some people that died of covid were buried there doesn't mean it's a mass grave site created specifically to inter the covid dead.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Covid's been done and dusted in the UK for a while now. Masks, isolation, all of it, finished.

Christmas booster program did the trick.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Covid's been done and dusted in the UK for a while now. Masks, isolation, all of it, finished.

Christmas booster program did the trick.
Yeah, I mean the vaccines work, right? Anyone dying now either isn't vaccinated or just really old, right?

Unfortunately it seems getting a shot twice a year will become the norm but it's better than the option over here - masks everywhere, using your phone to scan in to places you've been, travel restrictions, etc.

At this point I'm confused why people who are vaccinated are still super worried. Lots of retards who refused to get vaccinated are dying now, I think that's great.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Haven’t seen much Pandemic news on tv lately. To get my deadly disease fix I decided to read The Stand.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Haven’t seen much Pandemic news on tv lately. To get my deadly disease fix I decided to read The Stand.

restored version I hope.

I still need to read the comic book version but the Omnibus costs a shiton of money.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah I believe it is the edition where King added back stuff originally cut.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
What are the changes about? Did King pull a George Lucas?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The publisher forced King to cut about 2/3 of the novel because they thought it would be unsellable in it's full format.

Then in 1991 after becoming a money making god, King restored most of the book. In the forward to the 1991 book, he goes into some detail about the process and how it relates to his storytelling philosophy.

One of the biggest changes is the story of how Trashcan got from Indiana to Las Vegas (AKA: Cibola ,AKA:"Lost Wages") and the inclusion of Stephen King's best character ever created: "The Kid".

Last edited:
Reactions: wyo

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Our infection control RN announced yesterday that those of us that are both vaccinated & boosted (including moi) no longer need to be tested weekly for Covid unless we're experiencing symptoms or have been exposed (one of the ladies in my department is currently on a 10-day "vacation" after she was exposed). So, progress, but, I'm skeptical, since we stopped testing for awhile months ago too, there was a surge of new Covid cases in my area, and we went right back to testing again...

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Unless there is a new strain or we learn something new, there won't be another surge for at least 6 months.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Previously my work mandated that anyone not vaccinated needed to work from home, but effective mid-April all employees are expected to return to the office a minimum of 3 days a week regardless of vaccination status.

Non-vaxers got an extended vacation but looks like that ending soon...

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
My district is keeping masks inside and out. Revisiting after April 4th total district rapid test results post Spring Break. My own kid's school dropped masks completely. Around here, It seems that how the different district's superintendent personally feels about covid and masks dictates their district's policies.

In a survey of our teacher's union, 50% said keep masks until summer, 36% said optional for all, and 14% said they "stand aside". I thought it would be in the 70-80's for optional.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I left it up to my kids.

As far as I know, they are both wearing thier masks (pictures that the teacher sent confirm). It might help that I picked up a batch of brightly colored kids KN95's.

Reactions: NGT

@M

20 Year Member
I suspect the current shortage of testing supplies at work has a lot more to do with us vaccinated/boosted employees not needing to be tested anymore than anything else...

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I feel like this thread has gone way off topic and needs to get back to boxing.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
I suspect the current shortage of testing supplies at work has a lot more to do with us vaccinated/boosted employees not needing to be tested anymore than anything else...
The shortage of testing supplies might have to do with many schools giving two testing kits (4 tests) to each kid to test after Spring Break before returning. I have a bag of 34 test boxes to give out this afternoon.

@M

20 Year Member
I don't have any kids, but, I think they've been giving out free kits around these parts as well.

Maybe the tests they have at schools are different than the ones we use at work too? Ours are rapid 15-minute affairs; there's a separate bottle of reagent solution you have to apply (6 drops) to the cards that the swabs get inserted into. The test cards aren't usable as-is, you have to add that liquid to them first. Our supplies are designed for large-scale rapid testing (testing all the employees & residents at my job is a big undertaking and requires ~300 of those test cards every time, so, we go through them quickly, especially when we were testing twice a week.)

This morning, our infection control RN announced that there's a surge in Europe right now (sub variant of Omicron), and the US tends to trail behind them, so, it's probably going to happen again here in the coming months...if we're not too busy with WW3 first. 🙄

@jro: I only care about boxing if it involves King Hippo.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
My car is getting serviced and I need to go into work tomorrow, so it will be the first time since the start of the pandemic that i’ll be taking the train. Hopefully I won’t get any cooties.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
My car is getting serviced and I need to go into work tomorrow, so it will be the first time since the start of the pandemic that i’ll be taking the train. Hopefully I won’t get any cooties.
You'll be fine on the commuter rail. Green line is a wildcard. I actually found a bindle of H on the way to Copley a few years ago.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
If you are really worried:
N95 Mask

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
moe you're more likely to get 'serviced' by some rando on the train or maybe pushed in front of it like a delicate little flower you are than to have serious problems with a bout of covid.