The COVID-19 Thread and Hypothetical Boxing Predictions

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
I finally got the covaids, along with the rest of the family. No one is particularly ill so far, scratchy throats and runny noses. The kids are likely over a week in so over the worst of it and we didn't even notice. Stealth carriers.
My family had the same thing, but all home rapid tests were negative. I think it was the new one that gets past these tests more, but my wife says it was just a regular cold. Itchy throat, runny nose, headaches...lasted about a 4-5 days.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
My family had the same thing, but all home rapid tests were negative. I think it was the new one that gets past these tests more, but my wife says it was just a regular cold. Itchy throat, runny nose, headaches...lasted about a 4-5 days.
Me and the missus are testing positive but not the kids - presumably because they're past it. We only did a test by chance because we had a visit at an old people's home for the mother in law

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Maybe the fact they thought letting no one get sick for two years was a way out of the pandemic.

So delaying exposure to a virus most people have never been exposed to led to weaker immune responses to the virus they’ve never been exposed to?

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
So delaying exposure to a virus most people have never been exposed to led to weaker immune responses to the virus they’ve never been exposed to?

Besides for the fact that humans are exposed to many coronaviruses and that some evidence is showing that exposure to a common cold coronavirus or rhinovirus may confer a mild protection against covid...

...my main point was to suggest that at some point everyone will get this in some form or fashion. Zero covid is not an option. If you protect everyone for one, two, five, or ten years, the second the extreme mitigation is relaxed, people will start getting sick again.

Illness is a basically a prerequisite to life.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
At the risk of Sylvie berating me for talking about work...

I have an open role on my team currently and HR sent me the resume of a candidate today. Apparently he is going to get terminated from his current job because he is not in compliance with his current employers Covid vaccination mandate.

I am inclined not to bring him in for an interview because I question his judgement and his decision making capabilities.

Maybe he has a valid reason for not getting vaccinated, but oh well...

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I'd hear his reasoning before dismissing him out of hand, Moe. Could be it's for religious reasons; Crom told him that vaccinations are for pussies and real Cimmerians laugh off the sniffles.

I had to tickle my brain with the giant Qtip at work twice today. I did it before my shift began at 8, then, the RN that oversaw it sheepishly came looking for me again around 11: she forgot to read my morning results (it has to be done within 30 minutes, or the test is no good), so, I had to repeat the process. 🙄

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
At the risk of Sylvie berating me for talking about work...

I have an open role on my team currently and HR sent me the resume of a candidate today. Apparently he is going to get terminated from his current job because he is not in compliance with his current employers Covid vaccination mandate.

I am inclined not to bring him in for an interview because I question his judgement and his decision making capabilities.

Maybe he has a valid reason for not getting vaccinated, but oh well...

I would caution against this type of judgement, though in all likelihood you are right. You don't know their circumstances. I recently was presented with a woman who is a Med Tech at a small rural hospital, but was not vaccinated. I quickly made the same assumptions. Turns out she was pregnant/recent mother, which I think is an understandable exemption.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
he’s not pregnant he’s a dude

@M

20 Year Member
That's discrimination, Moe. He's pregnant with POTENTIAL. 😉

StevenK

10 Year Member
I'd hear his reasoning before dismissing him out of hand, Moe. Could be it's for religious reasons
That's an even harder pass than covid denier.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
he’s not pregnant he’s a dude

Well maybe you deserve the flak from Sylvie if you can't read between the lines and realize it was about learning the person's circumstances. And don't you know, Men can be pregnant in 2022. and a woman can have a penis...

@M

20 Year Member
One of the LPNs at my job used religion as her excuse for not getting vaccinated. Not sure which book of the bible mentions vaccinations, since they didn't exist in biblical times, but, I'm sure it's totally in there. 🙄

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
Why would that make a difference?
just checking. i have known some hypocrites.

"fucking christians...religions people are fucking idiots. oh, except for muslims. don't wanna offend the brown people."

i like consistency.

StevenK

10 Year Member
just checking. i have known some hypocrites.

"fucking christians...religions people are fucking idiots. oh, except for muslims. don't wanna offend the brown people."

i like consistency.
Problematic.

Standing in a church in the UK and telling them you think they're wrong is not the same as standing in a mosque in Iran and saying the same thing. Keeping your mouth shut to avoid death is ok in my eyes.

But I take your point.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
Problematic.

Standing in a church in the UK and telling them you think they're wrong is not the same as standing in a mosque in Iran and saying the same thing. Keeping your mouth shut to avoid death is ok in my eyes.

But I take your point.
wasn't really a point nor was i trying to set the context to anything other than if people from two different religions at your company were to say they didn't want to get vaccinated for religious reasons, would you feel differently for one person vs. another based on their religion of choice. i knew you wouldn't disappoint me.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Look at Moe here, dangerously out of line with the current standards from the MoT.

Men can get pregnant.

no no no no I’m not gonna let you make me look stupid pal

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I am locked down. Apartment complex closed, workers came yesterday to build fences. At least I can go downstairs to the outside commons area. This will be a fun 14 days.
Did they weld the front gate of the apartment shut? I saw that happen on youtube, with dozens of residents mashed up against it on the inside and shaking the gate like it was a zombie movie.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Stay safe friend, stay safe. You have Covid or they just locked down your complex?

@M

20 Year Member
That sucks, Sage. I can only imagine the shitstorm and riots that would result if they did that in the US...

We had another employee test positive at my job again, so, back to mandatory testing for everybody and goggles. The residents finally got to go out on a staff-chaperoned shopping trip today for the first time since the pandemic began, so, that's progress at least. (They're allowed to go out with family/friends whenever they like.) Boss lady made me stay behind and hold down the fort--just as well though, since bras were one of the things that they went shopping for. 🤣

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I am locked down. Apartment complex closed, workers came yesterday to build fences. At least I can go downstairs to the outside commons area. This will be a fun 14 days.
Hang in there bro. I hope you are well stocked with supplies.